Saturday, June 25, 2016

10 things to be thankful for.


I am not going to lie. I am feeling pretty gloomy about the whole result of the Brexit but I've seen many positive messages on Instagram around saying how we need to stay positive and continue to try and be good, be kind, be positive, be welcoming despite the feelings that may be pervading right now.

To that end, I am sharing 10 things I am thankful for on this day.

1. I am thankful that I have a job that enables me to make a difference to someone's life. Admittedly their musical life but as Dumbledore said, "Ah Music..a magic beyond all we do here," (Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone).  I teach magic- I like that thought.

2.  30 days wild and even if I only manage 23 days wild- has enabled me to look at things more closely- appreciate the small things. For if we appreciate the small things, then we are all rich in joy, experience and when big things are appreciated, it is like we have won the lottery.


3.  My garden. I say it again and again- but having such a wonderful outside space to just sit and stare at, to dream about, to wander in as joyful as a cloud (sorry Wordsworth!), to see everything that appears, well that is wonderful. Even if it does give me backache mowing, weeding and there's a WHOLE lot to catch up on at the moment!

4.  My husband. I moan about him, to him an awful lot but we have each other and I am glad that we can console and share difficult moments, to know that he is intelligent, sensitive and kind most of the time, to know he is there and he cares. That counts for a lot.

5.  To have had a chance to have my vote. Even if it didn't go the way I wanted to, I have the vote, as a woman, as a person. And I have the chance to do that.

6.  CBC and I went to dinner at our favourite Thai restaurant last night and I was so grateful for that, for being able to sit and enjoy a meal out from a different culture, so well cooked, so reasonable and to be able to have that opportunity.

7.  This time this morning. Time to be still, to reflect, to just be alone and not rush around.

8.  For family and friends.  That includes you!

9.  For endless cups of tea.  My sustenance in life. Who needs alcohol when the brown (or green) stuff does just as well!

10.  For the company and companionship of my fellow church band last night. We practice, we come together. People of different ages, experiences, backgrounds. We are united in that aim to lead the worship at church and share our skills.  Playing those songs last night, in that quiet, serene, darkened church with sunset streaming through some blue frosted windows, in a way I've never noticed before,  the crossness and worry I was feeling all day was somehow diminished.
And when we played this song finally, I couldn't help but think how appropriate it was. It was chosen 3 weeks ago, but the timing was so apt.


What are you thankful for?



20 comments:

  1. You are not the only one who is Brexit-depressed so you are not alone. As much as it hurts, I am thankful that we have democracy and that I had the opportunity to vote!

    http://lizziedailyblog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I'm definitely aware that millions are brexit depressed but yes, we had the chance to vote!

      Delete
  2. I've just left a similar comment on Pastry & Purls, where Jennifer has written a similar post. I too have spent the past 24 hours trying to do a mental equivalent of this, listing the small positives and happy things instead of dwelling on the giant disaster that is this country right now. I love your description of your job! You do indeed make magic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your attitude. There are always good and bad things going on in the world, simultaneously, so we need to focus on the good ones. Life is short.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww Kezzie, I'm glad I've read this! This is my first time on the internet since Brexit, I've also been avoiding TV and radio, I can't bear all the endless dissecting and arguing and pontificating everywhere! We've been doing the same, looking for ways to be happy, we had Chinese last night and were thankful that the Chinese family who own the takeaway had come to live here and cook us delicious food, pottering in the garden, reading lots of books and listening to our favourite music (magic!) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so sweet. During these crazy times it's important to stop and appreciate all the good stuff because there IS a lot of good stuff. You are a ray of sunshine, Kezzie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:30 pm

    Thank you, Kezzie. I think for now this is the best thing we can do - comfort & restore ourselves. Your music session sounds wonderful. I was listening to the radio this morning & was as surprised as usual to notice how quickly music can lift my spirits. So your job is very important indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm thankful for my week off starting next week. Just 5 shifts to go!

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. 10 lovely rays of sunshine sure to brighten anyone's day. i don't even have any smart remarks to add, its just a wonderful bag of joy you have here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I make this updates regularly and they make me happy, I hope it was the same for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I've been doing this sporadically on my blog for 5 years so it is nothing new. It all started with a work colleague Nikkei and I-we'd email each other 10thingd to be thankful for-before I was a teacher!

      Delete
  10. I am shocked by the result as well. Just keeping reminding yourself of everything you are grateful for and your heart will be bursting with love X

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just what I needed to read right now. Thankful for friendship, my other half, being able to write openly...so much. Thanks for reminding me to appreciate the small things! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a lovely post and a great list!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the list
    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes another saddened voter at this end! Today's second reading at church was from St Paul's letter to the Galatians about loving ones neighbour and not tearing apart a community with back stabbing! My words not his, lol!!

    I have been thinking of a pro active challenge to keep my spirits up and that is to share something positive, look for the good and defend the weak and disenfranchised.

    Hugs San xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. How sweet! I love it that you are a thankful person, Kezzie. I'm sorry the Brexit voting outcome isn't as you wanted it to be.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely idea - I'm thankful for the little things, lately.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm trying to be positive about this while situation but try as I might I'm not succeeding very well.
    Great list of happy things.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Staying positive is indeed the only thing you can do, and making a list of things to be thankful is a good way, as sometimes we take things too much for granted. xxx

    ReplyDelete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)