Sunday, June 12, 2016

Le grand camping Trip Part 4- Red squirrels, water falls AND the best Black Forest Gateau

When I was writing last, I ended my tale in the pouring rain in the tent after vegetables at last!
It continued to pour all night and it was rather hard to sleep.

The next morning, it showed no sign of abating and so we had to dismantle the tent and pack up the car in the pouring rain.  No time for making porridge or tea so when we got on the road, we were rather hungry.

We stopped in the nearby town of Freudenstadt which looked rather a nice town and decided to search for somewhere to have breakfast.

Cafe Pause was where we ended up and let me tell you, this is a WONDERFUL place to have breakfast!


 The menu was absolutely huge in terms of breakfast choices and seemed quite reasonable too. There was a breakfast buffet option but we decided to go for choosing our own items.
CBC ordered an Almond croissant which turned out to be two of them, plus a Pretzel and coffee.

He also ordered Speck und eier- egg and bacon which came as one dish. We agreed that I would eat the bacon for him but it came in this form so he had to eat it (also, check out the salad portion! So much more than something that was called A SALAD a few days ago.)


I also ordered the eggs with bacon but chose to have mine fried and it was wonderful! I also ordered a plain white roll which was delicious, such a tasty roll. Our eggs came with the same rolls anyway, it seemed, so we stashed those in our bag for later.  I ordered Earl Grey tea too but asked for a pot.  (It was 5.20Euros -seriously!!?!?! The eggs and bacon was 3.20!!!!!)

 What did WKWTTG have?
 He went for a coffee, a banana milkshake, fruit salad and yoghurt and fruit salad with granola

 CBC and WKWTTG got up and ordered themselves cake also to go with another coffee.
 It was a breakfast fit for a King!
 The cafe was also a Konditerei (cake shop) and a gift shop). You could buy marzipan bacon and eggs.
 Marizipan ham and cheese salad...
 and more cake..

As we went to the car, I saw a shop entirely dedicated to dirndls!
 Next, we drove for a few hours to reach Triberg.  We decided to stop here as the place was renowned for Germany's biggest waterfall, the world's largest cuckoo clock and the origin of Black Forest gateau...

If you ever want to buy a cuckoo clock, this is the place to go, but more of that later...
 You paid a certain amount of money to enter the site of the waterfall. It was well-planned with different walks and routes to climb, getting closer to the waterfall.

 The noise was terrific.



 There were some interesting birds there, apparently there is a member of the Jay family called a Nutcracker. We also saw one of my favourites, a darling little Nuthatch.
Not sure what this one was...





 We had seen signs that said it was possible to see red squirrels here which we were pretty excited about. I've seen some before at Kielder in Northumberland but it would be cool to see them again.

We were pretty lucky as two came along soon and were willing to eat the nuts chucked by a couple of people.

 My own camera had died by then so I had to rely on CBC's photos.
 It got closer and closer...



They are so fluffy and cute!!! Eventually they ran off and we made our way back to town as we had to put more money on the car for parking.

Even though it rained, it was wonderful to see two such wonderful things!

After this, we headed down to Cafe Schafer which boasted (according to CBC's googling) Germany's best Black Forest gateau and the original recipe.

 We ordered three slices between two of us and let me tell you, we should have ordered a third slice.  It was delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cunningly cake cream and cake only, leaving the Kirsch-soaked-cherries to CBC and WKWTTG



I was going to share the shop of 1000 cuckoo clocks with you but I think this post is too long already so come back soon for cuckoo-clocks like you have never seen before!!!

xx

15 comments:

  1. Waterfalls are favorites of mine, from the little to the Niagra and every one in between. So many metaphors that go with that beauty. And I really like those Mr. T squirrels too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you resist exploring the racks of dirndls? Was it from having spent so much on breakfast? Rained-out camps often provide other fun adventures! What a great breakfast, and the cakes.... yum! The squirrels - colorful little critters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, somewhere I've been (Triberg). We were amazed by how tame the squirrels were. I have a post on it somewhere :-)

    One of my colleagues is from Freudenstadt. It's famous for having the biggest market square in Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After reading your post, and especially looking at the photos, I am definitely hungry now! That waterfall is spectacular, and how cute is that squirrel! But I was actually looking forward to the cuckoo clock shop. Where is it? Oh, it will be for your next post ... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. That little red squirrel is gorgeous, I'm glad you managed to capture him for posterity!
    Those dirndls look fabulous, did you squeeze a couple in your rucksack? You'd look gorgeous in one.
    Now if I'd been with you I'd have eaten the cherries, the only thing about Black Forest gateau I like (hate cream, don't like chocolate sponge!) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those boys packed aware a fair bit of breakfast at cafe pause - certainly breakfasted like kings that day! The waterfalls look amazing and what a bonus to see the red squirrels.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not a BFGateau fan. But it looks good if you like that sort of thing!! Squillils are very sweet, and the breakfast looks LUSH! It's great seeing what you've been up to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awwww the squirrels are so cute! Did you buy a dirndl, I bet you'd look ace in one!?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was so excited to see another post about your trip! It's been so fun to read. That breakfast -- oh my word! That was a lot of food, and cake too! The waterfall is beautiful, I bet it was quite loud. Glad you had so much fun there. Can't wait to see the clocks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love eating out for breakfast, marzipan, waterfalls and squirrels, and Black Forest gateau - this sounds like a most perfect day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The food made from marzipan looks so realistic. I always loved their skills on making them, I used to have marzipan fruits as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely photos! You ate so much yummy food! But you all definitely worked up your appetites :) It sounds like you had a lovely time despite the dreary weather :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those squirrels are adorable and ME OH MY WHAT A BREAKFAST! That's definitely the way to fill (and cheer!) up after a damp camping experience :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. You certainly struck gold on the breakfast front that day, what a spread of deliciousness.
    The waterfall looks spectacular, a really good day with the addition of squirrels.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  15. That dirndl is really beautiful, I'd have been sorely tempted with it. Cake for breakfast. Love it! Squirrels are just the most adorable little, fluffy shaped things.

    ReplyDelete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)