I left you with a large plate of sausages last time we were in Germany, so now I shall take you on the marvellous second whole day.
We woke up to brilliant sunshine in the Muellerweise campsite and a myriad Germans packing up to return home after the holiday weekend (leaving us completely alone!). The smartphone informed us that the weather was due to be dire from 2pm, so we decided to get an early start and get out whilst it was still glorious.
CBC made us porridge on the Trangea stove this time and it was delicious. I also had some of the ham (nicer than last night's ham) in a roll. We had tea to drink too and were all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed to set out.We went to go and pay and register at the reception and enquired about good walks and also about Spas for respite from the predicted-storms later in the day. Our host was very, very helpful and gave us maps and brochures.
Setting off from the campsite, we immediately walked beside beautiful meadows that made me want to don a wimple and sing about the hills and their aliveness.
Their was plenty of pretty flora to entertain us.
Soon we reached the ForellerHof which our knowledge of Schubert could have told us was a trout-farm.
There were many ponds with increasing sized trout in. We sang Schubert at them but perhaps they thought we mocked them?
I know, let's have some musical accompaniment...
It seems terribly mean but the smells emanating from the restaurant were amazing so we decided to walk first and return for er- trout, later.
We headed, like Hansel and Gretel plus the Big Bag Tim, into the Primeval forest
Nice mushrooms- NOT! These look rancid! But I like to include photos of mushrooms in my post so I can remind the world just how much I hate them. Tis fun to ridicule something you despise! You just watch- stick a mushroom in your post and I will comment on it!
The weather was humid but not too bright and we (mainly I) worked up quite the sweat trekking up hill.
I always feel such a sense of calmness in a woods or a forest.
We saw and heard quite a few birds like a Bullfinch and a Chiff Chaff but none landed kindly in order to be photographed... So selfish!
We found Granny's hut in the woods when getting a bit lost..
We saw several of these bird hides throughout the woods. We thought they might be but weren't sure if they were or not but Louise seems to think it is so I'm going with Bird hide!
Finally, we walked back to the Trout farm where we ordered some lunch. I have to say my fried trout was divine!!!! I like eating trout anyway but this was something else! MUCH recommended.
As we ate, the rain started, so by the time we returned to the campsite, it was already wet.
More anon....
xx
I like the one leaf of lettuce on your plate! That meal looked so much nicer than all the sausage though.
ReplyDeleteWhat a glorious walk, those pines are ginormous.
Lisa x
Phooey to mushrooms! I went to the wedding of a friend of Andy where the only veggie option was something which looked like mushroom gruel and I HATE mushrooms with a passion, so gave it to Andy. Cue the bride who loved to mock me. She made a beeline over to me and asked me and me alone if I liked the meal, which she KNEW I wouldn't have liked at all. Later, drunk, she ripped me apart in front of everyone, yelling that I said the meal was s***. I said no such thing, as I have manners and she evidently didn't.
ReplyDelete/end mushroom rant.
Looks like a great holiday exploring Kezzie, lovely pictures :) x
ReplyDeleteWhat a great walk. I think those hides are really called observation towers rather than bird hides, but they are for observing the wildlife or whatever, including birds! We have them in this country too, but from experience of the very few I've seen, they come with not for public access signs due to health and safety police I suspect, but it's entirely optional whether one notices the sign before entering or unfortunately not until heading back down the ladder ;)
ReplyDeleteForests are wonderful, and so are your photos. :)
ReplyDeleteI went mushroom hunting with my mom & aunt the last time I was in Germany - it would've been your worst nightmare! I, on the other hand, love mushrooms so thought it was brilliant.
That was a great read! I'm very fond of fungi (sorry) both the eating kind and the deadly variety - fab photo. xxx
ReplyDeleteI loved reading your post, Kezzie, and had a good chuckle about the hills and their aliveness. As I've got a vivid imagination, I can already seeing you in a nun's habit, completely covered in brooches, of course! Loving the forest walk with granny's hut and that amazing bird hide. I'm quite fond of forests and trees myself. xxx
ReplyDeleteI don't think I've ever eaten trout! It looks very tasty.
ReplyDeleteNow I want to go back and see what you said to the toadstools on one of my New Zealand posts. I don't like eating mushrooms either - yukky things!
That is not granny's house thats my summer home, darnit! Never can be sure with these blind time shares these days. Actually that is about 40 times bigger than my current new home so I should shut up. The trout have actually heard that tune so much they cannot be baited by it. if you wish to hook them, fire up some of your best homage to Julie Andrews and get thee to a nunnery.
ReplyDeleteMushrooms are mega gross -- they are fungus -- toadstools -- do you know what toads do on those things? -- mushrooms -- brrr
ReplyDeleteso great to hear you two had a lovely time...and why that mean does look delicious! That photo from that cottage is really adorable:)
ReplyDeleteThe hills do look very alive in your pictures. And the forests too. The forests are aaaliiive with the sound of music!
ReplyDeleteOh, what fun! I can see, once again, I've been missing out on your adventures from my blog-reading negligence. I'm enjoying the Schubert as I read :) The camping and tall thin trees look so lovely. I'm not a camper, myself. But the trout lunch is delish! I'll have to remember your attitude toward mushrooms when my hubby ever gets around to growing some on our farm :) You MUST do a fashion post on how to wear a wimple!!!
ReplyDeleteSome lovely pictures here Kezzie, and your trout does look Yum!
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
The walk through the woods is lovely. I love these types of walks.
ReplyDeleteVery peaceful looking. Oh I hate mushrooms too, I despised having to cut them in Home Economics at school. It felt like cutting eyeballs to me (sorry to anyone who genuinely likes them)!!
ReplyDelete