When we went to Germany and France camping recently, we were really well-prepared in some ways and shockingly remiss in other ways, so I thought I'd share some essentials we needed and think are useful for camping just in case you too decide to drive to Europe to camp.
Leave me a comment if you think I've missed anything!
- A spare towel. Don't just take one. My towel got really wet at the Spa we went to (should've hired one but didn't think to ask) and I was stuck with a sodden towel in all that rainy weather. Grim.
- Washing-up liquid - trying to wash up in a camp sink with only water is no fun. Siphon some into a small old cosmetics bottle to minimise on space.
- Washing up sponge - take one in a tiny lock-n-lock container- you won't regret it when trying to wash up in that cold water.
- Bread knife - we were in France. Bread knife = essential!
- Knife for chopping tomatoes and vegetables
- Duvet and PROPER pillow - The ground is hard and even in summer, it gets cold at night- CBC moaned at me for taking one but he kept trying to steal both.
- Bed socks- it can get surprisingly chilly no matter what time of year and trying to sleep with cold feet is no fun.
- Hat, scarf and gloves for the same reason. I never regret taking a hat- if you sit and cook outside in the evening or even chat, it gets cool quickly.
- Tin opener/bottle opener- very useful.
- Phrase book- to avoid being the English muppet.
- Lantern- it was rather annoying trying to see by torchlight all the time.
- Kitchen-roll- we took some and it was so useful.
- Loo-roll- you don't want to get caught without it.
- Foldable light rucksack - we did a few treks and it was really useful to have this to take the essentials out with me but be hands-free.
- Light-long-sleeved cotton shirt - you might find that obvious but I regretted not having one for when we were walking to easily put on and take-off, tie around my waist I had cardigans, tops, vests and jumpers but not this vital in-between layer.
- Croc-style shoes or plastic pool/deck shoes- yes, I know they are deeply unstylish, yes I know you might look chavvy, but frankly you can get nice shoes ruined in the grass in the morning dew, let alone trying to put a tent down in the rain. You want to be able to get out your tent to go to the loo in the middle of the night, or put down the tent easily and grappling with wellies, walking boots or slipping dangerously out of a pair of flip-flops is no fun. I've been going camping more than twice a year for the last twenty years and my £2 Tescos Croc-style shoes have been a godsend for that or to put on in a shower when you're worried about verrucas. They can be run under a tap and mud and grass can be removed easily. They don't go mouldy like other materials. I've had then 10 years and I also have them by the back-door for nipping into the garden and they are still going strong.
- More pants- you can never have enough knickers/pants
- Chopping board- for the knife and food combination- you will need something to chop on. We took my own broken Joseph, Joseph chopping board that had lost its handle.
- Lock n locks- for storing extra bits of food.
- Sugar sachets from restaurants.
- Camera Spare battery
- Travel wash- the item that is dirty is the one you always want!
- Travel washing line- I bought one in Poundland. It would have been so useful for when we had damp things.
- Waterproof-bottomed picnic rug - you can sit out on it to eat with and also it's much nicer to put in the porch of you tent than sitting on the cold plastic.
- Tea bags - always want tea to wake up to.
- Trangea/Jet Boil- much less scary than one of those gas canisters which you put things on top of.
- Extra sealable gas can- we ran out. They last a while so if you don't use it, no problem.
- Matches- stove but no way of lighting it???
- Enamel mugs- for the aforementioned tea. Very durable.
- Cool pack- would be good for keeping your food cool.
- A bundle of carrier bags - we always needed carrier bags for putting wet things in, for collecting rubbish, for many purposes.
- Large bottle (5 litres) of water- in case you arrive late and it is hard to find the tap in the dark, it is always useful to have a large supply of water.
- Enough cutlery for everyone.
- Swimming clothes- you never know, whatever the weather, whether there might be a great swimming opportunity, be it a wild swim in a lake or a luxurious spa when the weather is awful!
- Scissors!
Have I missed anything out? Do share if so, or if this is helpful!
Oh and an Audio book for the epic car journey would be entertaining for the driver!
Oh and an Audio book for the epic car journey would be entertaining for the driver!

Just been camping in Austria and can confirm this is very useful! Always take as many layers and blankets for the evening as you can cram in. It was 27 degrees in there day but I still froze at night with 3 blankets and socks.
ReplyDeleteWe did 2 weeks on a motorbike, and luggage was minimal. Swiss Army knife essential. Those small size microfibre towels. Lush 'soap in a tin' doubled up for body, hair and washing up. Pack of wet wipes. Roll of ziploc bags [wet things, food, to keep travel documents clean and dry] ..but we have sold the bike now- not sure we will do a holiday like that again!
ReplyDeleteGoodness were you camping or staying at the Ritz, dear. Me, I only take a spork, 1 match and I wear a loincloth made from Buddy's shed hair. If I am traveling very far maybe I take 1 stick of gum. On the other hand, "Loo roll" made me think of Lou Rawls and I would like to take him too so he could sing and entertain me.
ReplyDeleteKezzie dearest, I could have done with this idiot's guide to camping when we travelled around NZ in a campervan. I ended buying so many of these little bits and pieces en route because I wasn't prepared. Am not sure, however, that I could succumb to the croc type shoes - these are just a step too far for me! Lovely post though x
ReplyDeleteAnna
www.annasislandstyle.com
I can't agree more. When we went camping in the tent it looked like we were moving. Now I have all this in the caravan. I have there spare socks, all that I need for the kitchen. It's really handy.
ReplyDeleteI forgot a mallet when I went to Latitude last year, sadly Sophie and Chris forget too! Trying to push pegs into the hard ground with my sandled feet was no fun!
ReplyDeleteI take a lighter as well as matches, just in case the matches get wet.
You need to get one of those microfibre travel towels that roll up. Sooo useful! They dry really fast.
ReplyDeleteGreat list Kezzie - I think I'd probably have a blow up mattress as well as the duvet and pillow! And about 5 pairs of socks lol And Wet Wipes - they are so useful when travelling in the car or camping. We also have those Bobble Bottles for filtering drinking water - can't recommend them highly enough - you'd spend a fortune on bottles of water although they're much cheaper on the continent than here. I"m heading back now to catch up on your travels. Fil
ReplyDeleteI think it's a pretty good list!
ReplyDeleteI always take a dustpan and brush too - because I have OCD and need to sweep the tent about twice a day!
DeleteThis is a useful post for everybody -- future campers, or you and hubby as a reminder list for next time. Good stuff here!
ReplyDeleteMy son always forgets the can opener and we always forget a bottle opener when we go away. I have just been catching up on your holiday in France and Germany. it looks as if you had a great time I love all the different cuckoo clocks including the modern versions! The waterfall looked quite fast flowing. Sarah x
ReplyDeleteBreak knife essential in France? Yes, it does make sense. Loved reading this darling!!!
ReplyDeleteGreat list, even the shoes, I could see how they would be useful.
ReplyDeleteI'm saving that list as some of the things you mention also come in handy when you are not camping but staying in a cottage. xxx
ReplyDelete