For some bizarre reason, when I think of Cuckoo Clocks, for some reason, I didn't make the connection to Germany being the origin of them. Not sure why, but there you are.
When we visited Triberg in the Black Forest region, we saw that one of the starring attractions was the World's largest Cuckoo Clocks.
As we walked down the main road in Triburg, our eyes were drawn to the myriad wooden products available in the shops. And then we saw the House of 1000 Clocks. Not being able to resist, we went in.
Cuckoo clocks and clocks there were, a plenty. And a whole load of other tourist tat.
But I was amazed by what a roaring trade there was in Cuckoo clocks. The shop was teaming with tourists from Stateside and they were shipping back Cuckoo clocks galore! I don't know why I was so surprised.
Anyway, I shall leave you with the traditional, the more wacky, the contemporary and the downright scary examples of pictures that CBC took. My camera battery had died and my spare was in a suitcase somewhere..,
Enjoy...
| Yuck, is the word that comes to mind... |
| We really were tempted to buy this... |
| Button Moon style.. |
| Alpenhorn and Dirdnl-wearing dancing girl for anyone? |
| Hansel and Gretel plus the witch.. |
The clockwork mechanism turns a cog which has a long part attached bellows which push air into the pipe. This produces the sound.
Oh look- trout again!
Check out the scary-faced Pan-pipe player...
So...if you were in this shop, would you have bought one? Which one if so??
We didn't make it to the World's Largest Cuckoo clock as it was a bit out of town and we forgot but I am sure you can google it..
xx
I've never considered that there are modern designs of cuckoo clocks out there - silly really, but in my head there is only the traditional sort of clock! I quite like the modern ones though. It was interesting to see how the sound is made (something else I've never considered before!)
ReplyDeleteCrikey O'Reilly! Pan pipe girl will climb down off that clock at night and dance on your forehead!
ReplyDeleteI want a cuckoo clock now, I have a cuckoo clock brooch, but it isn't the same thing.
I rather like the first, nice and traditional xxx
What a mad shop!
ReplyDeleteI love that even something as traditional as a humble cuckoo clock has got the hipster treatment with a minimalist house and the ubiquitous deer head.
xxx
They are just so damn cute. I purchased one when I was visiting but it doesnt cuckoo its just a boy and girl sitting on a seesaw as the pendelum. I dont why I didnt purchase a real one, may be it was finances.
ReplyDeleteFinally! I've been looking forward to this post! Cuckoo clocks always remind me of my grandparents, who had one in their lounge. I must say that I'm loving the more traditional ones the most. xxx
ReplyDeleteOoh, I do think the clocks have more impact en masse, so I would not buy one. My great great aunt had a room full of clocks, I went there once when I was really young and remember the ticking! Do you mean the Wiesbaden cuckoo clock shop by any chance? I visited many years ago and can see it hasn't changed since then.
ReplyDeleteMust admit they're not my kind of thing at all. If forced to choose, maybe the spotty one but it would have to go in the spare room if it ticked - I can't have ticking! X
ReplyDeleteI shall admit, cuckoo clocks scare me!
ReplyDeleteI would have got the one with the smilie on it haha! I love cuckoo clocks but they are a bit creepy! Remind me of Captain Hook!
ReplyDeleteCorinne x
www.skinnedcartree.com
How exciting! I should get my cuckoo clock fixed.
ReplyDeleteOh that shop!!!!! We had a cuckoo clock in our kitchen when I was little. Now whenever I hear one I want breakfast!
ReplyDeleteWow, that place is really interesting. I love the traditional ones, they have so many details and they look so cute. I would love to visit the shop.
ReplyDeleteSo many cool clocks! It must have been really cool in person! I don't know how people think of all of the different variations haha :) xx
ReplyDeleteI don't see the appeal myself but if I had to choose then I like the polka dot one at the bright colours with the stag head on.
ReplyDeleteLisa x
I've never seen so many, I'd have to go for a traditional one.
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
My Dad collects clocks (we literally have hundreds ticking away) and years ago he got a cuckoo clock. I find it really irritating and it's not a great time keeper. My nephews used to love rushing through to see it on the hour (and at half past). It's so loud (especially as you're usually settling down to watch something on TV at 9 or 10 and then have to sit through 9 or 10 cuckoos until you can hear what you're watching). It's funny, someone phoned my Mum the other day and said "do you have a cuckoo clock?" she could hear it in the background through the phone, despite it being in the other room. Plus it's situated right below my head, when I'm in bed, so I can hear it ticking away at night!
ReplyDelete