What ho, tis I, Le Kez!
Hope that your day was successful and fun.
I had a slightly bizarrely successful afternoon which only resulted from me going off on a tangent!
In year 3, I went to teach a lesson. I was introducing the concept of Time Signatures - which would then lead into them getting the feel of time signatures, learning to conduct in those time signatures, listen to some music to identify time signatures and then answer some other comparison questions between 2 songs- Tomorrow the Fox and 'Didlan' (based on The Ashgrove folk tune).
Anyway, I introduced it by asking them what comes first on the stave in music (the treble clef). I asked them what that told us (that it was a high-pitched instrument playing). Then, as a reminder, I asked what the name of the clef was that means it's a low instrument (they dutifully answered 'Bass Clef') - I then added the Alto clef as a tangent which was greeted with "Cooooool!", "I love this!" (??????)
I then started to say as a mere note aside, that a key signature comes next and somehow got into explaining key signatures, how they work, what sharps and flats are and what they mean etc' and somehow, they were highly enthusiastic about this and were really getting into this (I'm talking boys and girls who can be a bit disruptive) and were just amazed to be learning all this (I think I maybe did ok by starting the Alto clef comment by saying, "You don't need to know this, but I know some of you like knowing harder, extra information," which meant everyone wanted to be THAT person I was inferring) . So we had this massive tangent on key signatures and sharps and flats and enharmonic equivalents and they were just bizarrely really with me on it!! There was no distraction, no one who had to be called to order or made to face the correct way. We're talking a solid block of music theory!
When I introduced the time signatures, the delight of learning how to conduct and what conductors are really doing was a delight!!
When they came to do the listening- everyone was totally focused. Bizarre how that happens sometimes. I usually find them really hard work. That said though, they are quite a musical class- they are probably one of the best singing classes in the school.
Anyway, if you have survived that long and waffly tangent, well done, have a gold star, biscuit and a cup of tea, you deserve it!
I thought I'd share 2 pictures of two of my Charity shop purchases which featured in 'The Buyer's archive' post. The gorgeous Topshop sailor jumper from Sue Ryder and the heart skirt from Barnados! Just needed the tiny addition of some navy knitted tights, gold Toms and my Punkypins Bee necklace and I was good to go!
I love my new tree with its crops of daffodils! What will I do when they all die!?!? I've never quite had such a happy blogging posing spot!
xxx


As always you look amazing! The skirt and top go so well together.
ReplyDeleteI can't comment on the music chat, you lost me on time signatures!!
ReplyDeleteFab outfit, posed beautifully. Don't you love totting up the cost of your chazza buys when you're wearing them? My denim waistcoat, hand printed maxi, leather ankle boots and tooled leather bag came to a total of £7.99 today! xxx
I agree with Vix, the kids did well, I got lost with the signature thing! Brilliant that your enthusiasm for it, encouraged them to listen and learn. I'm sure it doesn't always happen that way, like you said. Absolutely love that outfit, both charity pieces are great finds.
ReplyDeleteLovely outfit, that jumper looks great!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE how you teach music to the kids and I would love being in your class... I used a bit of phycology on my own kids too when I was raising them. Never letting them loosing face but always providing a better choice of behavior and it worked like a charm. And people would say, how do you get your kids to behave so well. I would say, I treat them like I would like to be treated.
ReplyDeleteYou look perfectly charming in your patch of beautiful daffodils but I'm sure as soon as they fade away, you'll have a new beautiful background to use.
Have a beautiful day.
Hugs,
JB
I'm not sure if you are aware that when your daffodils are no longer blooming, you are supposed to leave the long leaves to turn brown on their own so the food is pushed back into the bulbs for next year's blooms. I just tie them back and trim the brown top so they don't look too floppy all over the place.
DeleteJB
Woo hoo! Good teacher!
ReplyDeleteI love your red skirt!
The dafs are lovely. I will miss them.
It is no good Kezzie I need you to come shopping with me :-). I loved the biscuits and gold star but you also need a teacher of the week award for having the kids interested and on the edge of their seats :-) xx
ReplyDeleteWhen you get a class like that, I think it must be a joy to teach them!
ReplyDeleteIf I ever lose the will to take in new knowledge then I know my time is due!!
That jumper is fabulous! And your gold pumps. Love them.
And your very own 'host of golden daffodils'. I do miss them when they're gone, they are such a great shot of colour early in the year.
Zxx
Ooh, I love a sailor theme, what a cute outfit! Afraid you lost me on the music stuff, OH is a music teacher so would understand but it's all way over my head. Well done for keeping the kids interested, that's a major achievement. I did read though so I'll have a biscuit thank you! xx
ReplyDeleteyou're such a talented teacher! I loved how you used that little trick to really get the kids interested. Mainting concentration of kids and young ones can be tricky, so you've done well.
ReplyDeleteI do like that sailor top...and it is so well paired with that skirt. you look stunning dear Kezzie!
This won't surprise you, but I have that jumper too! It's one of my favourites and I've probably had it around five years! (Bought it new, shock!) I used to love lessons like that <3
ReplyDeleteWhy thank you for my "gold star, biscuit and a cup of tea," greatly received.
ReplyDeleteThat top and skirt look great on you.
You'll have to put more blooms in there place once the daffodils have gone ...
All the best Jan
What a pretty outfit. And beautiful flowers. I always enjoy hearing your stories about school.
ReplyDeleteBonjour, le Kez. Ca va? You really do have a great spot for your outfit posts. Very nice! So happy to hear about your good school experience. Wonderful when good people doing important things are rewarded with a glimpse of their impact. Your outfit it totally adorable, right down to the gold shoes. And I fully enjoyed those pretty tights on your gorgeous legs, so exciting! Happy Thursday
ReplyDeleteI'd love being in your class Kezzie, although you lost me on the time signatures. Your charity shopping finds are looking great on you. I'd be on the lookout for a sailor jumper, I love it so much. xxx
ReplyDeleteSounds like an excellent lesson.
ReplyDeleteLoving your new purchases, the top absolutely needed to be yours!
You obviously bring the subject alive to the kids and they responded well. It's so satisfying when that happens.
ReplyDeleteCute outfit. I love the skirt!
http://petitesilvervixen.blogspot.co.uk/
Daffodils are the perfect spring back drop for modelling new wardrobe finds.
ReplyDeleteHope the children continue with their new found enthusiasm.
Lisa x