Thursday, April 14, 2016

British Crisps 1: Kettle Chips Sweet potato Sweet chilli crisps.



There is a fact you should know about me: I ADORE crisps.  There are pretty few that I will not devour in seconds. I kept thinking that I would do a post about my favourite crisps so my American friends could have a look and compare our Crisps/Chips as I often feel that Britain has an amazing selection of crisps and I would like to share my appreciation.
I also thought it would be a great opportunity to stuff myself with crisps share these with any friends from elsewhere!

The first crisps I am going to share are a new variety of Kettle Chips.  Kettle Chips are a posh brand of crips in the UK.  They are hand baked and cooked in small batches. They don't use any addictive nasties like MSG, artificial flavours or colours and they use good potatoes.

I was drawn to these because I always like to kid myself that a crisp made from a bonafide vegetable like a sweet potato might be healthier for me than a regular potato crisp. Apparently, these have 50% less fat than regular potato crisps, although I'm not sure if they are talking about THEIR potato crisps or other brands.

So what did I think of them?
Firstly, they have an excellent, generous amount of sweet chilli seasoning on them. They are very crisp but I didn't get crisp-blisters (you know, when you bite enthusiastically and they scratch the top of your mouth).  The flavour is very strong and intense in a good way. You can taste the sweet potato, is as you expect, sweeter.

The ingredients are:
Sweet potatoes, sweet chilli seasoning (consisting of Sugar, dried onions, Yeast extract, Sea salt, dried soy sauce, ground chilli, ground fennel, ground cardamon, dried redpeppers, dried garlic, dried parsley,dried lemon juice, lemon oil), Sunflower oil.

If you are disciplined enough only to eat a 20g serving, they contain:
Energy: 344 kJ, 82 kcal
2.7g fat or which 0.4g is Saturates
6.8g sugar
0.24g salt

I'm not sure I am THAT disciplined!! That's quite a lot of sugar though, which isn't ideal although the other quantities aren't too bad.


In conclusion, they are a very tasty alternative to a regular crisp. The flavour is excellent if you like your crisps saturated in flavours (which I do).
I bought these in Waitrose 2 packets for £4 on special offer.  A tasty indulgence occasionally, methinks.

Have you tried them?  If you are not of this country,what do you think? Do you have these in your kingdom?

Are you a crispoholic! Thinking of making myself a badge saying that!

xxx


19 comments:

  1. I think most of the sugar is from them, so it shouldn't be as bad. I didn't try them before, but I would love to :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaah, you're doing this just to tease me aren't you? I LOVE Kettle Chips, but they're so expensive here! Haven't come across sweet potato ones yet though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really not a crisps person, but sweet potato crisps are always something I think I should try my hand at making.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm. They look pretty AND tasty! We have a huge aisle of crisps. Our grands prefer different types and flavors. My favorite are salt and vinegar potato chips. YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh they do look yummy...I love deep fried sweet potatoes like they do a pub uptown. I used to go most Friday evening for the Happy Hour with my husband and I always ordered a Volcano which was a cone shape container of sweet potatoes fries. So, so yummy. I haven't been there in quite a while...

    I make my own sweet potato fries once in a while but theirs were deep fried, mine are done in the oven.
    Ahh, those calories don't count Kezzie. Enjoy your little pleasure. I'm restricted on what I can eat now and I try to stick with no additives.
    Have a great day.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm terrible for crisps too, especially the bad ones! Like wotsits, chipsticks... well all of them! I'm not too keen on kettle chips as they are always a bit hard, a bit too crunchy. I think my favourite brand is probably seabrook! I was really good last year and gave up crisps completely for about 2 months, then I treated myself around Christmas and well and truly fell off the wagon! Stressful times / busy times don't help as I binge on crisps then, and it doesn't help that there's always crisps in my house too! Even when I'm trying to be good, temptation gets the better of me. When I have my own house one day, I won't buy crisps and then I'll not be able to give in to temptation my just browsing the cupboards in the kitchen that don't belong to me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love kettle chips - they're probably my favourites. I wait for them to be on offer though. Salt and vinegar is my favourite. Not sure about these 'healthy" ones - they usually taste like cardboard, particularly the baked ones. Yeuchh. X

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love crisps. French crisps aren't as good as UK ones, although Lays are (I think) Walkers with a French accent. I sometimes find Tyrells sweet chilli crisps. Miam miam. I do love a chicken crisp though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think I've ever looked at the ingredients or nutritional value on a packet. I love crisps and wouldn't want to put myself off (as if I could!).
    I do like the vegetable crisps I've tried including sweet potato but they just aren't as nice as proper potato crisps.
    Have you tried the Corkers hoisen duck yet? So, SO good x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love chips...here in Italy the best is Salt one called San Carlo!!I never taste english one but sooooo good immagine from your photoes!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cheddar and sour cream Ruffles are my weapon of choice, or perhaps so Pringles. Those kettle chip or baked ones are not near as good to me, not greasy enough. All the best foods are greasy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not a crisps girl at all, popcorn is more my thing but these look good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Crisps are my fave snack! I don't think I've tried these yet but they sound delicious! At the moment, I am addicted to the Walkers Mix Up (spicy flavour)... Refuse to believe that's a share bag because I can scoff that all to myself in 30 mins, haha! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a crisp girl too, love them love them!

    I haven't tried those Kettle Chips, they look nice, but I've eaten so many sweet potatoes over the past few months I think I need to give them a rest for a while. A loooong while.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I definitely am a crisp lover, Kezzie. We do have Kettle Chips in Belgium too, but I've never come across the sweet potato ones. Whenever we're in the UK, we always buy Tyrrells, which are also hand cooked. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Crisps are the best snack ever!
    Haven't seen these in the shops as yet.
    I like the new Ritz ones, they are special!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm not a packet of crisps eater... although friends I know do like the Kettle and Tyrrells ones, but I think they may be a little more expensive.

    I think one of the firms do make vegetable flavour ones using beetroot too!

    Home made Kale or courgette crisps can be tasty - and keep the sugar and carb content down!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  18. No, I haven't tried them. I stick to low fat/calorie ones like Walkers French Fries (you get loads in a packet, so they are good) and Puft (a lighter version of Hula Hoops and nowhere near as good, but nice enough crisps without the comparison). Though I do love prawn cocktail crisps (just a bag of Walkers is fine) and Pringles and Hula Hoops, but don't eat them now : (

    ReplyDelete
  19. I haven't tried them but they look yummy.

    ReplyDelete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)