The clutch-bag is a total enigma to me- HOW do you cope with one?
I need to cart several kitchen sinks around with me and a clutch simply does cut the mustard!
We went to a wedding last year and I had a little shoulder bag AND then CBC caught me skulking around with a large corduroy shoulder bag too!
"WHY have you got that thing too??" he demanded. "It totally doesn't go with your outfit!"
yet it must be some psychological thing-
I.
just
can't.
seem.
to.
compute.
Another time, I was using this delightful fabric bag in Chinese satin that I bought in Bali for another wedding and was asked what on earth was causing it to bulge in that manner!
CBC tried to forcibly shut a handbag that was gaping open, stuffed as usual on another occasion! He couldn't seem to manage it.
In the small handbag, I had my phone and front door keys. I was going to do the 'just have bank card and cash thing' but in reality- I LOSE ITEMS!
Any time, I stick something small and loose in a pocket, it runs off!
It must be the fairies.
My Mum always called me the bag lady as I grew up as I had to walk around with several bags.
I honestly don't know what's wrong with me. I have this psychological need to carry around with me - lots of things!
Purse
Phone
Book
Notebook
and a whole heap of other junk!
I have several adorable little bags, some really cute novelty ones but nowadays, I can only use them for a little one-off situation. I thought I'd look at my 'Bags' tag and compare the size of them.
My darling Watering can bag can hold my purse and a book and a few other things- but they stick out the top! Not one for when potential shop lifters are about!

R2 holds very little! He has to be accompanied by another bag.
This Cath bag makes me really think about what I am taking- I've usually taken it swing dancing and had to just hold my large book in my hand and hope I don't leave it behind!

A gorgeous Book clutch I received as a giveaway from Char- I use this one if we are going in the car and I can store the rest of my junk inside the car! It's very cute so I make the effort to curtail the junk I carry!
This Topshop one is useful because of the strap but is very hard to close!!!

This novelty bag holds more than it looks- it holds a normal-sized book! This is good!

This one is brilliant, it holds LOADS! This is what CBC would cite as one of my 'ugly' bags.
This is more like it! HUGE!
Is there any cure for me?
What would you suggest?
And how do you fare in the Big bag versus Small bag situation!?
xxx
So you're a bag lady... Nothing wrong with that.... You have some cute but unusual bags. You're young and like to keep things interesting and you do.
ReplyDeleteMe on the other hand I'm way off field as far as handbags or purses are concerned. I use only one well worn leather purse given to me by my sister in law. I have a fancy black beaded clutch which I wore once. It was a thrift buy.
I'm so thrifty it isn't even funny when it comes to accessories or jewellery. I have lots but always wear the same thing just because they are practical. What can I say. I'm more pathetic than you by a long shot. Nothing much impresses me anymore and I don't try to impress anyone as old age is setting in. lol.
I love purses/handbags! I love having my things with me, even if I never use them. I'm with you - I want one that has space for visitors (book, cardi, scarf, loaf of bread) alongside the usual residents, which include my sunglasses case (huge) and two sets of car keys and fobs.
ReplyDeleteYour watering can bag is adorable!
Well first of all those bags are so beautiful and cute! Your taste is so fun. From what I understand of Dr. Who his phone booth holds much more actual space than it seems from the outside. Do you think perhaps this adds to your enjoyment of the show, that particular fantasy element?
ReplyDeleteOoooh wow the watering can bag is too incredible for words! Such a standout to me but I certainly do love them all.
ReplyDeletegenerally I carry a large bag with not much in it, so I can fill it with shopping, or pop my scarf in if it gets hot.
ReplyDeleteI use small bags when I know I won't need the other stuff. I rarely take a book with me and if I need to note anything down I use the Notes app on my phone.
How about you take note (mentally) of what you actually use next time you go out (wedding, evening out etc) and see what you're carrying around unnecessarily? I don't see an issue with carrying a big day bag but you might find yourself less encumbered if you don't carry so much around.
You have a gorgeous collection. That watering can bag is amazeballs, I love it! My Husband used to be my Man Bag and carry everything for me, in the last couple of years I have started to carry my own stuff. I have to admit I always use a big bag unless I am going out to a pub or a club and those days are few and far between.
ReplyDeleteLooking at your wonderful collection, I am so boring when it comes to bags!
ReplyDeleteBlack, navy blue and tan/brownish shade ... they are all quite large too!
Handy when a certain some-one says can you put my phone, wallet, car keys in your bag!!!
Or if you are out with the grand-children and need to carry wipes, colouring pencils, cars, dolls etc etc !!!
Have a lovely weekend
All the best Jan
We get used to what we do and if you carry a bag big enough to tote lots of stuff, you want a bag big enough to tote lots of stuff. No problem unless you're carrying a suitcase everywhere you go! :-)
ReplyDeleteBig. Always big. I can't do small, I've tried, but everything I want to take will only fit in a massive bag!
ReplyDeleteI'm here because you mentioned handbags. Also I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Charlotte and I am a handbag hoarder (hi, Charlotte).
ReplyDeleteOkay, now that that's out of the way....
You have the cutest little bags! I love the book clutch the most but also that fanciful 3D number and that's great that it holds books!
I agree--finding the RIGHT bag for the proper occasion remains a mystery to me, too. In the meantime, I'll just continue to collect them all :)
Hope you have a great weekend!
I try and take out as little as possible but by the end I always need a larger bag. Perhaps we need a 'Mary Poppin's' bag!
ReplyDeleteJulie xxxxxxxxx
that watering can bag is amazing!! I'm definitely with you on the giant bags - I use a weekend bag as my everyday handbag. It is HUGE. On Friday it contained all of my usual stuff (purse, phone, mints, tweezers, mirror, tissues blah blah) PLUS two boxes of chocolates from work AND an entire Waitrose Dine In For £10 Meal Deal... xxxx
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean. I can't be doing with those itsy bitsy bags you see so many women wearing that seem to only be able to hold a lipstick in them and nothing and I mean, NOTHING else in them! Ridiculous! However, I have been getting more ruthless in the amount of stuff I cart around so my bags are reducing in size but sometimes, a roomy bag is the only kinda bag that will do!
ReplyDeleteYour watering can bag still makes me smile.
http://petitesilvervixen.blogspot.co.uk/
If there's any cure, I would like to know about it too. I have several small handbags, which are just languishing in my wardrobe, as I'm always carrying too much stuff. I tried taking only a clutch once, and it couldn't even fit my purse, let alone anything else. Although the things I carry with me drive my husband crazy, he is forever asking me to put his wallet in my handbag as well ... Love the watering can bag. xxx
ReplyDeleteYou have a lovely collection of handbags Kezzie :) I love my Cath Kidstons ones :)
ReplyDeleteOoooo! I love your exploding TARDIS bag!
ReplyDeleteI feel your pain, I cannot do small handbags!
My work is 5 walk minutes from home, and still I find myself taking a middle sized handbag, plus a large reusable shopping bag with my lunchbox, books, a spare jumper, errrrm other 'essentials', and I don't know why I need to because if I desperately need something during the day I can just skip home at lunchtime and get it!
I'm the opposite, can't be doing with big bags. Can never find anything in them and usually feel the need to fill it, with unnecessary stuff. Obviously when I was at Uni and had folders and sewing/design gear I carried an extra larger bag with that in it, but these days I just need purse, phone, tissues, lipstick, maybe powder and sunglasses. I used to carry an ace little makeup bag when I was at Uni (it really was small but a total Mary Poppins bag) and it had absolutely everything in it; plasters, scissors, sachets of foundation, tiny perfume vials, lipstick, concealer, kirby grips, hair elastics, comb, safety pins, sewing kit, everything. It was brilliant and fitted in almost any bag. I always felt safer knowing I had that with me.
ReplyDeleteI love both small and big bags, but my cam won't fit into tiny ones, so I usually go for a medium or a big bag. I try not to carry a lot of stuff because I have scoliosis, but often it happens that my bag somehow gets full and heavy! So, I get you :). It is a hard habit to get rid of, carrying around a lot is easy to get used to...perhaps we should start with baby steps?
ReplyDeleteI'm like the Queen, Jon carries most of the stuff we need when we go out at night, so I just stick my purse in my pocket and that's it.
ReplyDeleteDuring the day I like something big enough to get an umbrella, camera, my purse and a couple of bags for life inside so my bags are usually fairly big. Your collection is fabulous! x
I have many bags and am quite good at paring back but Andy often gets me to carry his things :|
ReplyDelete