In Northumberland, I discovered that Monkey-girl, seemed to have most of the Ramona books including one I'd NEVER read as a child! You didn't need to guess what I did next. Abandoned my current read!
11. Beverly Cleary Henry and Beezus
An innocent kids story tells the story of Henry and his dog Ribsy who live in Suburbia and always get into mischief. He longs for a bicycle but can't afford one. The cool boy on the blog, who has a bike, always sees him getting into scrapes and messing up, but the girl next door, Beezus, is always there for him. Her little sister Ramona causes even more trouble for them, but it turns out well in the end.
Interestingly, this being the first book in the series, the latter books were set in America, but in this book, they talk about pounds and there's no indication of the school setting so I am a little perplexed! Did Beverly Cleary just decide to change the setting?
I've been shamed by the lovely Louise of 'Ramblings of a roachling' to post my book reviews. I kept meanign to photograph the books, but in the end I've given up. So here are my other reviews. Do let me know if you've read any of these, or you can think of something I'd like! I warn you I have some weird bias against Jodi Picoult and true-life stories about children, so anything but that!
12. Enid Blyton Fifth form at St Clare's
Oh I loved the school series' as a child, and I couldn't resist this one, after seeing it on Monkey-girl's shelf! The girls are growing up, but the rivalries and lessons to be learned continue. Mirabel reverts to bossy-boots, Alison worships a new poetic teacher, the younger ones have a midnight feast, Mam'zelle gets pulled into all sorts of silly situations! Nostalgia at its greatest!

13. Carola Dunn Murder on the Flying Scotsman
A total pleasure to read. I think I've figured out how Carola Dunn selects her 'baddie' or murderer. I always like figuring out Who-dunnit authors' patterns!
This is reminiscent of Murder on the orient express, but a lighter read and more Enid Blyton-esque. Dunn's characters are likable and I love the way the story is continuing between her and her beau, Alec Fletcher of Scotland Yard. In this story, as Daisy Dalyrymple, 1920's reporter, makes her way up north on the famous train to document the stately homes of the aristocracy, she discovers a stowaway in the form of Alec's daughter, Belinda. As it transpires she has left due to her grandmother not allowing her to play with an Indian girl. Daisy becomes reacquainted with an old school friend and her myriad relatives who are all travelling up to see their rich and dying relative, Alistair McGowan, who has always been a wily bird. He has sworn to leave all his money to his brother, who is also on the train. All hope to change the mind of their relative, to leave the money to them. Greedy and unscrupulous, it seems the only non-greedy ones are the current heir, and his protege and own heir, a young Indian Doctor. As Belinda and Daisy get involved with the whole party, the heir turns up dead! It appears Belinda knows something but isn't telling! Brilliantly exciting, you wont want to put this down! I certainly didn't! Its innocence, excitement, mystery and historical setting are great fun and I always look forward to the denouement!

14. Carola Dunn Damsel in distress.
The next book in the series, is different, in that there is no murder, but a kidnapping. Philip, Daisy's loyal friend, best friend of her deceased brother, finally relinquishes his dutiful trying to marry Daisy when it appears he's fallen in love with an American car industry heiress! However, she is kidnapped at the start and it's up to Daisy and Philip to adopt Famous Five style manouveres in order to find her (seriously, if you've read Five get into trouble and others it'll remind you of this!)
We finally get to meet some of Daisy's relatives.
I can't actually tell you how this ends, as I put it down about 15 pages before the end and lost it! So I am still wondering what happens, however, the rest of it was jolly exciting and worth a read if you love Christie, Blyton and Sayers!

15. Georgette Heyer Why shoot a butler?
This is the first of her non-Regency books I've read and it was a corker. It begins with a murder, discovered by a Lawyer-turned sleuth who happens upon a shooting in a car, with a young lady beside it. But all is not what it seems and it turns out that the murder is only a small part of a wider scale of corruption. A perilous chase to the death, stupid provincial police-officers and people who wont talk, even though their life depends on it! This was brilliant and I can't wait to read more of them!

16. Alexander McCall Smith The full cupboard of life.
Ah Mr McCall Smith, I adore you! I really love his books and this book in the No. 1 detective agency hinges on more issues for Mma Ramotswe. Mr JLB Makatone of Speedy Motors has somehow been conned into doing a parachute jump, Precious worries about whether he will ever marry her and a very rich hairdresser wants her to vet prospective suitors! Precious worries about the young mechanics, Mma Makutsi enjoys her new home and we, the readers, delight in the wit, philosophical musings of the characters and the gentle pace of the action! Brilliant!

17. Carol Krueger Because of Walter.
I read this for Guided reading at school. It's around a level 3B/A for anyone who's interested. This is a great book for discussing social issues such as change, fostering, adoption, jealousy and environmental issues such as beached whales. It is told from the point of view of Kayla, a girl who has gone from house to house being fostered but struggles, despite her good heart, to find someone to adopt her, because they want to adopt a baby. She loves animals and always tries to help. However, her newest home in the book with some marine biologists might be for keeps unless it's spoilt by a jealous only-child called Victoria. This is a lovely, simple book that covers a lot of issues. It's a bit-like Jacqueline Wilson but less 'cheeky-chappy' girls!
Have you read 'The wolves of Willoughby Chase?' Why not? I struggled this week to find ANYONE who has read it apart from my sister and I! Anyway, this story is the sequel to that fine book, set in the reign of King James II and tells you what happened to Simon, the painter in the woods from Willougby. He moves to London to study art but strange things are afoot. The painter he was supposed to stay with has disappeared and the suspcious landlords claim never to have heard of him. As he searches for information and settles to life in London, he discovers terrible plans are afoot to remove the Duke of Battersea from his set. All sorts of adventures ensure- balloon rides, fires at the opera house, wolf battle in a Yorkshire woods, stowingaway, kidnap, shipwrecks and all for Simon and his friend Sophie, who were orphans, to discover their true origins. This is a brilliant children's book! Very exciting and gives some interesting hints into the history of the time!
Louise also asked what books people are interested in? I'd love to know!
Take care xx
Thanks to http://www.amazon.co.uk/ for the images.

I LOVED Ramona! I watched the show too, but I totally loved the books. I went through a lot of what she went through in Ramona Quimby, Age 8 at the exact same age (including getting sick at school, so not cool). This just made me totally smile.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad I inspired you to get this written! I've never read any of these books and sorry to say I've never heard of The Wolves of Willoughby Chase.
ReplyDeleteA few people have mentioned Alexander McCall Smith lately, perhaps I'll have to give his books a try.