NOM NOM NOM
"What's this then? Pink food?!!!!"
"MMMMM, get this pink stuff Sid!"
"Don't stuff your food Augustus. Save some room for later"
"MUUUUUM! Fred's chewing with his beak open again!"
* Cue gobbling sound effects*
It fair brought a tear to my eye how ravenously these pigeons devoured this donut in Bloomsbury. I know peopel think they're flying rats, germ-carriers etc but I can't help but feel sorry for them and I was delighted by their evidence enjoyment of this donut they'd got from somewhere. And the thing was, they were being very civilised about sharing, all in a circle no pushing, no pecking at each other. It was like, because someone had treated them nicely, they were in turn behaving nicely. It was like seeing the results of a philanthropist on a group of starving Victorian orphans.
What's your opinion on pigeons?*
*And by pigeons, I mean your honest commoner city-ruffians, not those irritating, mournful wood pigeons who stalk folk who are trying to sleep with their monotonous ostinato and pigeon-love cooing!
Aw, bless them...at least they got a proper treat!
ReplyDeleteI feel like you I hate how humans make certain animals out to be a nuisance and a pain! We all have to share this world and I believe we all deserve a nice life whether we are human or animal. Its such a shame that humans are so self centred and a lot only care about themselves. Great photos and I can tell you are a lovely person x
ReplyDeleteI have a cold heart - they're flying rats. If you've ever had to clear up a s**t load of their s**t (as I have) then you may be inclined to think so too. I'm frank if nothing else.
ReplyDeleteAwww, look how much pleasure they're getting from that pink doughnut!
ReplyDeleteI love pigeons, ever the wood pigeons that eat all the grass seed and frighten the lives out of tour kitty cats. x
This makes me think of Mary Poppins - Feed the birds, tuppence a bag...
ReplyDeleteI think it's cute that they are loving that donut and I don't mind them too much. Birds entertain me.
I don't understand how people can classify some animals as vermin or whatever, they're all animals, just trying to live like everything else! Pigeons are so comical to watch sometimes too!
ReplyDeleteTo answer your question, yes I do live quite close to Dovedale. I have to drive there, but it's not that far. I grew up on the Roaches (see all posts labelled 'Home' on my blog) and now live on the edge of a small market town in the staffordshire moorlands called Leek. my grandparents lived around the peak district and my mum's best friend lives in Ilam (next to Dovedale) so it's somewhere I've been visiting for years and it is such a beautiful area!
I don't mind 'em that much, but I wouldn't let them sit on me like some tourists do. Obviously they haven't seen them eating vomit...
ReplyDeleteWe used to have several enormous wood pigeons in our garden which wandered around like turkeys, but there are too many cats about now.
Sophie- I can understand the whole pooing thing must be a total nightmare, it's hard to clear up (I've sat in some accidently, so I am aware!).
ReplyDeleteLakota, I had 9 pigeons on my head in Trafalgar square as an 8 year old when they used to let you feed them! Thanks for that retrospective horror I am now experiencing!
Vix- I can understand your love, but I have to say, as a musician, I find the monotone coo highly irritating compared to my virtuosic blackbirds who trill all over the spectrum!
Louise and The Brunette- Yes, I feel sorry for them and feel it's mean to lump them all in as vermin, though of course, I can imagine the horror people feel when something overruns their house, uninvited and makes a mess and is very hard to live with. I experienced the horror of cockroaches in Bali. I tried to catch them to put them outside but it was nigh on impossible, they were so canny!
Beth- I was TOTALLY thinking of Mary Poppins for the title!
Laura- yes, I felt that was really nice for them to have such a regal treat!
ohmyGOSH, look at all of those birds! It's like a Hitchcock movie.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
Twitter: @GlamKitten88
I like pigeon, but only as a starter. They are too small to be good as a main.
ReplyDelete