Sunday, March 15, 2020

Peace which passes understanding.

Are you feeling anxious at the moment?  I wasn't really feeling anxious, as I tend to ignore the news at most times but it reached Friday and I couldn't escape from it anymore. EVERYONE, wherever I was, was talking about the virus.  Teachers, TAs, children, parents, friends, restaurant owners.  I started to feel the fear.  One of the reasons I avoid the news is, as I have realised in recent times, I am a natural worrier when I am left alone to my own devices.  If I am worried about something, it fills my mind, will not go away, no matter what. 

I haven't been to church for a few weeks.  Actually, since the 16th February for various reasons. 
When I went to today, though the focus was on the commandment, "Do not murder,", the anxiety I was starting to feel was really helped as we prayed for our nation, as we talked about trusting in God, as we considered that we may think we are in control but we are so much more fragile than we think and that actually in difficult times, we must depend on God.  We sang 'The Lord's my Shepherd, I'll not want' which I hadn't sung at this church since I've been there and indeed I haven't thought about that song for a while.  But, it is a song I sing and say to myself whenever I'm scared- when walking on high peaks where I am terrified of falling, where I don't know what to do and am worried.  It has always been a comfort.  I felt that peace, which passes understanding, come over me and I knew that this terrible time is a time to show love, to show care if I can, to trust in God, to help people.  I gain nothing through stressing. I gain nothing from worrying.


I came home from church, after chatting to a friend, Darren, who moved to our town a year ago, I walked home with my neighbour, Marianne, and I rejoice in the beauty of the sky, the beauty of the Spring flowers and relished the freedom I felt. We went over to my Mum's and shared lunch with her and walked in a beautiful country park near her and I felt better.  Nothing, but perhaps prayer, prayer, prayer, can change what is going on, but I felt a peace.

It may not last once I am in contact with colleagues again but briefly, it was good.  'The Peace which passes understanding be upon your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.'- I felt that peace.

This is my pause for Lent with Ang et al.

xx



9 comments:

  1. It is a difficult time. People are anxious, some children will be really scared. But these things will pass, and NOTHING can separate us from the love of God. Hang onto that truth. May God's grace surround you and fill you with peace as you go through each day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayer and peace. Interconnected x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I pray that "the worries" stay away from your heart, Kezzie. There is only one now at any given moment and our dear God is timeless. Now we are loved. Now we will always be loved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:41 pm

    Thank you for the music. Very comforting and calming.
    Singing the song on high peaks and during stressful times is such a great idea.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are difficult times, indeed, and as like you I am a natural worrier, I have to limit my news intake to avoid anxiety attacks. It's very important to have something to hold on to and to regain some kind of peace in our hearts. Do stay safe, Kezzie! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, we have stopped watching the news as it was making both me and the kids anxious, instead I listen to the headlines on radio 4 with Dave just once in the day and then he fills me in with any other info as and when needed. Sending love and prayers to you Kezzie xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't watch much news either for exactly the same reason. I'm always happier when I haven't seen the news for a few days. There is a line that divides informing and sensationalising, and the media is so far over the line they can't even see it anymore. I know it's a serious issue and I know we all need to take care of ourselves and others, but some perspective wouldn't go amiss from the media.
    I'm so glad you found some peace and comfort.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty much everything has closed here (on government orders). Supermarkets and pharmacies can still open but that's about it. Anyone who is able is bring encouraged to works from home. It's hard to avoid all that even without watching the news. I'm glad you found some peace and I hope you can continue to keep the worries at bay. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I rarely watch or read the news either, I often have no idea what's happening in the world unless someone mentions something. I am taking a bit more interest at the moment of course but it's all rather worrying... I hope you're doing ok.

    ReplyDelete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)