I hope you are well. Well, things have got quite serious, haven't they? I do hope and pray that you are well. I am fine but have a bit of a cold- just a bit bunged up and runny nose. I've been at school this week and we are back in on Monday to look after the children of key workers whilst schools are closed.
In these times where things are looking very bleak, I thought I'd think about things I am grateful for.
1. I have a warm, spacious house to be in. I can't think how hard it is for families cooped up inside in small houses where there are a myriad people. I know that these are the conditions for many of the families I work with.
2. Having skills which have suddenly come in useful. Because of what I have learnt from running this blog over the past 14 years, I've been running a blog at school for music for the past 7 years. With the children suddenly being off with the current world crisis, it's suddenly become a much-needed and useful resource. I've been going around the classes showing them all very carefully how to access it, use it, learn from it and comment on posts and for many, I hope it will be a lifeline. I've already had lots of comments daily from pupils who aren't in and they seem very grateful for it. I've been trying to work out blog post version of my lessons so they can try and do them at home.
3. For having CBC. I have some work colleagues and friends who live alone and I imagine, for them, it is a frightening time, especially if in quarantine. I am so glad we have each other.
4. CBC did all the hoovering and washed the kitchen, utility room and hall floors! It was looking disgusting so I am grateful!
5. I am SO glad I have had that busy spell. Remember when I talked of all the orchestras and activities I have been taking part in since the start of January? Now, when everything in the foreseeable future has been cancelled, I am SO grateful that I took all those opportunities to play music, be with others and be busy.
6. Though I am still going to school for the present, I am grateful that I have so many interests and hobbies should I be restricted to home- I can make cards, read books, play board games, compose music, write blog posts, write poems and stories, dress up, paint, draw, garden, learn Greek, write letters, learn new pieces on the flute, recorder, viola, piano, Javanese Rebab, Balinese Pemade etc.
7. I am grateful for the provisions and resources we have. We haven't really done a big shop for ages but we always have cupboards with dry provisions because of going to zerowaste places which require a drive so therefore I stock up to ensure that we don't have to go there too often. Apart from last Saturday's visit to the Refill room to buy red lentils (500g), pasta (800g), puy lentils (400g), coffee (200g), Bran flakes (200g) and some cardboard deodorant, I have not bought any dry goods, hopefully meaning I am not contributing to the madness and stockpiling madness. I went to Home Bargains and got a jar of Bolognaise sauce, bottle of soy sauce, jar of pesto, tin of beans and a single pack of chilli noodles but this is standard fare. What we have bought is fresh vegetables from Waitrose (chicory, swiss chard, radishes, cucumber- nobody seems to want those) & from an international shop near school (2 red peppers, 2 courgettes, 10 tomatoes, 4 lemons)- I am glad we have been able to continue as normal.
8. Grateful for free food- kale from the school garden which is going to seed (no-one else except the caretaker seems keen)- the school gardener was going to pull it all up to mulch over for new seeds 2 weeks ago but I stopped her as I didn't want the kale wasted. Also some broccoli and parsnips from the food cooperative that gives out of date veg to churches last Sunday.
9. It was sunny today. I very much enjoyed going to empty the compost and splitting open all the teabags from school. Also nice to help CBC put all the foliage from the Passiflora and Jasmine which he has
10. For my family all being safe and well so far. My sister and Brother-in-law are in a crucial job right now, so I pray they stay safe
11. So glad I spent last Sunday with my Mum. If we can't see her because of avoiding unnecessary journeys, I am glad we got to see her then.
12. For the hard-working Pharmacist in town who is exhausted as he stayed open till midnight this week. I went into see if I could get Lanzoprozane for Acid-Reflux without prescription as I think this is what has been causing the uncomfortable feeling in my throat after eating dinner since the Tonsilitis. I didn't want to make an appointment with the Doctor as they are needed for proper people. I am glad he was able to give me something that will hopefully sort it.
13. Grateful that I was able to use some very, very old carrots (bought from MiL's house on 19th Feb) plus very old cabbage to make veg stir-fry tonight. Hate things being wasted!
14. I am grateful that I am financially stable and in a job with a guaranteed income. I feel for all my self-employed and low-waged acquaintances. I am trying to use my resources to make little purchases from small businesses and charities that will be hard-hit right now and feeling anxious. Not what I was planning for Lent but I think they need it!
15. I am grateful for you, my blogging friends, dear, loyal and true- I pray you all stay safe and well.
16. I am so grateful for my faith in God. I honestly don't know how I'd cope if I didn't have God to pray to, to hear from and feel comfort.
What are you grateful for?
xxx
Those are so many great reminders of how lucky some of us are, eh, Kezzie? Sending good vibes for the safety of those you know. I can't see my Mum - she lives across town and has been recently sick, so she's in self-isolation - but I've been calling her a lot. Hugs to you!
ReplyDeletePS - my husband cleaned our whole house yesterday while I slept! what a guy!
Grateful for you and your positive outlook and loving heart, Kezzie.
ReplyDeleteA school blog is a brilliant idea for keeping the children in touch.
Good to hear husbands are taking their turn at the housework - as well as their usual help with meal prep.
Like you, I'm glad Steph and I were able to meet up last weekend.Who knows when family visits will be 'back to normal'
Love and prayers xx
I always enjoy your 'grateful for' posts. We need to be reminded how lucky we are sometimes, instead of feeling sorry for ourselves. What you are doing looking after the children of key and essential workers is also vital at the moment and we commend you for that. Stay safe.
ReplyDeleteGood for you, buddy. Glad you're able to stay well. Too many people are getting depressed from the news. I've been coping by cooking a lot.
ReplyDeleteThat's a great reminder of the positive things in life, thank you!
ReplyDeleteI feel so sorry for families cooped up in tiny flats with no open spaces to enjoy - a friend lives alone in Spain and only has a tiny balcony as she's not allowed on the streets - thank goodness for social media so we can stay in touch.
Stay safe and healthy, Kezzie. xxx
I am also grateful that I don't live alone and that Jan is working from home now - as a diabetic he's in a vulnerable category. I hope you stay well.
ReplyDeleteGrateful for two church families that are supporting us, thankful for neighbours willing to shop if necessary even the postman has offered if we need anything! Grateful for online shopping and our local farm shop that does home deliveries. So thankful for friends both online and nearby, for facetime, whatsapp and messenger video chats. Blessed to be able to join in with a virtual prayer network and a virtual mass every day.Thankfu; for a whol variety of crafts: sewing, knitting and crochet and plenty of books to read and games to play. Thankful for the sudden explosion of free online content related to teaching kids at home, I'll take the support even if it is only for a short time :-) So grateful for the sunshine and the gift of a garden, so looking forward to planting some seeds. Thankful for your friendship Kezzie, take good care xxx
ReplyDeleteThere is so much to be grateful for when you take the time to think about it. It's so easy to focus on the difficulties instead at times like this.
ReplyDeleteI'm grateful that other than hoping those dear to me stay safe, I have no real concerns over work, paying bills etc. I'm very lucky indeed.
Take care Kezzie
xx
Instead of feeling sorry for ourselves, it's good to get things into perspective and realize we still have a lot of things to be thankful for. I too am very lucky having a house and garden, that I do not live alone, still have a job and no financial worries, and lots of interests to keep me busy. And I'm thankful for the support of all my on-line friends, like you! Do keep safe Kezzie! xxx
ReplyDeleteYes, there is so much to be grateful for indeed. Best to focus on all the good stuff.
ReplyDeleteWe all have so much to be grateful for! This week, I'm grateful that at the moment, Dave and I have jobs that we can do from home (well, mine can't really, but there's other work we're doing instead!) and the our stay home orders have coincided with such lovely weather. I'm loving the extra time at home and taking my daily walk from the home with sunshine and warmth.
ReplyDeleteI live in a tiny rented apartment at the moment but I'm grateful for a beautiful view I can enjoy. I'm grateful for technology for allowing me to keep in contact with everyone. I'm grateful for my job for keeping me busy (even too busy but that's still o.k).
ReplyDelete