During my last cruise update, I left you in Belfast, where we had enjoyed the delights of the Giant's Causeway. Then I left you with details of what happened because of the storm in the Scottish waters.
Our next stop after Belfast was due to be Tobermory on the Isle of Mull, yet another exciting hard to reach island.
But, sadly, as we left Belfast, they announced that since the storm was still going rather in the Scottish seas and we'd have to anchor there, for reasons of safety, they were going to have to forgo visiting Tobermory and we they had managed to secure a place at Liverpool. I admit to being furious at the time. The point and reason I was so looking forward to this cruise was visiting islands. Those hard to reach places you have to make a dedicated trip to. No offence to Liverpool but I can very easily jump on a train or in the car with CBC and travel to Liverpool.
Of course I understood the reasons for the diversion but what with missing The Isle of Skye, it just felt a huge blow.
I sulked through the beginning of Dinner. I just found it so disappointing but then eventually, I slowly let go of it.
The next morning, we spent a delightful time chatting to a couple at Breakfast. This amazing lady turned out to be a professional opera singer who had moved to Malta 20 years ago. She was utterly fascinating and we stayed talking to her and her husband for ages. She was really happy to be able to talk about her experiences and loved the fact we were on her wavelength, knew about what she was talking about and had opinions. From her husband's delighted reaction, I got the impression that they hadn't had the chance to talk to people much or people weren't really interested to hear about their life.
Next, we left the boat and walked up into Liverpool.
There seemed some interesting and varied buildings.
However, since I wanted somewhere a bit more quiet and countrified, I had an idea to get us out of the city centre.
Alex Odd Socks, who was the unwitting catalyst for this trip in the first place lives in Liverpool and works at a beautiful Tudor home- Speke Hall. I'd seen photos in various blog posts from different people and knew that sounded idea for the day.
We headed into the bus station and waited for the bus towards Speke. It took a lot longer than I expected to. It's nearer to John Lennon airport than the city. Everyone kept telling us to get off at Dobbies garden centre which we didn't see. It was then a mammoth trek of over a mile to reach the grounds of Speke Hall.
The first place we headed for was the Kitchen garden which had been yarn-bombed with a beautiful interactive community project involving William Morris as inspiration and lots of knitted and crocheted things as well as having plenty of healthy-looking vegetables.
Whoever does the grounds here should be mightily proud. They are exquisite.
I was dying to go into this green house but had to be content to peep through the window.
Mum was pleased to see bee hives
and she happily identified plants and produce varieties,
There was a cute little bug hotel.
Information points showed how the William Morris wallpapers were created in wool. I recognised this one instantly (see it later in the house!)
The fruit trees were adorned also.
There was flora AND fauna!
Here's the Lesser-spotted Mummykins...
Even the scarecrow was knitted! I was seriously envious of their crop of courgettes!
Bzzzzz...
Outside, we saw some very affable and industrious bumble bees at work.
At last, we saw Speke Hall itself. This is the view I had seen in pictures before.
SUCH beautiful patterning on this exquisite building! Alas that it was SO busy being school holidays.
We had a fair hefty wait to enter the Hall itself.
I LOVE entering through these doors within doors!
Inside was a quadrangle.
There's the Greater spotted Kezzie.
Mum was delighted with the grand, ancient Yew trees which had names!
And here's the William Morris original wallpaper.
Inside, the light made it hard to photograph but there were lots of interesting things to see.
I had no idea Billiard Tables were so HUGE!
I was rather taken by these bright stained glass panels.
Money and Bacchus!
The thing which most excited me was that THERE WAS A PRIEST HOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It has long been on my list of things to see: one being see a real priest hole, two being getting into one, three being finding a secret passage. You can tell I was brought up on a diet of Enid Blyton,
Sadly, I couldn't get in it so that amibition remains but I was really delighted.
The rooms were very interesting. What a delightfully spacious bathroom!
I adore a set of bells!
Outside, we saw some excellent dressed-up people. Sadly, Alex didn't seem to be working that day otherwise it would have been lovely to say Hi to her in person.
We went for a cup of tea in the tea room and then headed onto the South Lawn (I think)
The Hydrangeas were looking splendid.
The second excitement of the day was the discovery that there was an Adrian Fisher-designed maze there. I own his Amazing Book of Mazes and I delight in visiting mazes. This one looks fairly young but it was brilliant with gates that been the route of the maze can be changed by unlocking and locking various gates and there are bridges too.
It only took me 4 minutes!
At this point, Mum realised she was really tired and we really should be heading back to Liverpool city-centre so we began the long mile-plus trudge to the bus stop. We briefly stopped in the shop where I picked up my Tudor Rose lapel pin as a souvenir of the day.
As we walked back, it began to rain heavily so by the time we climbed onto the bus, we were rather sopping. The kind driver looked pityingly at us and said he'd crank up the heating.
The drive back to the city was quite long but we reached there eventually. Mum was exhausted and headed back to the ship but I decided to do a walking route around the city. However, you'll have to return soon to see what I saw as you've already waded through 55 photos here!
It was a great time at Speke Hall and I was grateful for knowing about its existence!
Have you been to visit Liverpool or Speke?
xx
Those crochet thingies are the cutest. And Speke Hall looks amazing. (Also, how appropriate is your dress! Was that planned?)
ReplyDeleteThey were adorable! It was a BRILLIANT place to go. SO much to do. The dress is actually a navy blue dress with white clouds and aeroplanes on it but from a distance, I can see why it looks so similar! Totally didn't think of coordinating with Speke!
DeleteWhen I was pregnant with Benedict (13 years ago) we made a visit with out older kids who were 17, 17 and 14 at the time. I think Benedict and Pip would love this place. I know we can get discounted NT cards for home schoolers which can be used term time only which is fine for us, less hustle and bustle.
ReplyDeleteYou made the best of some very disappointing news and I don't know if you noticed but your dress is almost the same pattern as the quadrangle walls :-) xx
Oh yes, do take them if you can. It had SO much to do there! I really enjoyed it and would gladly have stayed longer if Mum hadn't been so tired! It was a BRILLIANT place to go. SO much to do. The dress is actually a navy blue dress with white clouds and aeroplanes on it but from a distance, I can see why it looks so similar! Totally didn't think of coordinating with Speke!
DeleteSo glad you found the priest hole, it was the first thing I thought of when you mentioned Speke Hall!
ReplyDeleteI've not been there for yonks, but I've been to Speke many times. Looking forward to your walking tour, there are some amazing buildings in the city.
Am glad someone else was so excited about the Priest Hole. My Mum looked at me as if I was a little mad being so excited about it!
DeleteYes, we know Speke, we've traded there twice and spent both weekends camping in the grounds. It really is fabulous.
ReplyDeleteWas Alex not there? I was scrolling down hoping to see a photo of you together! xxx
I remember you going there. Yours were the photos I thought of!
DeleteAlas, Alex was not there. I emailed her the night before and asked for her but they said she wasn't working that day. She never actually ever got back to my email, so I don't know if her email has changed or something?
What a bore that you had to forego yet another of the islands you wanted to visit. Since I've never been to Liverpool, I would have been excited about that, but I see what you mean. Speke Hall is looking fabulous though, and I love all the knitted and crocheted things. And how well does your dress coordinate with the hall's exterior! xxx
ReplyDeleteI was cross at missing ANOTHER island. Liverpool did end up being good in the end although I was worried about Mum being so tired. The dress is actually a navy blue dress with white clouds and aeroplanes on it but from a distance, I can see why it looks so similar! Totally didn't think of coordinating with Speke!
DeleteI can imagine that not visiting the islands was a disappointement, but I'm happy to hear you managed to make the most out of things in spite of that. How lovely you met an opera singer who's been living on Malta for 20 years. I bet you had an interesting talk with her and her husband. I love opera and I know the names of most Croatian opera singers...I'm not so up to date when it comes to international opera. I used to be crazy about Pavarotti and I still love him...I also liked Nessun Dorma and Caruso performance that guy that was on British Idol or Voice (or what was that show called?)...you know the one that sang opera? What ever happened to him?
ReplyDeleteLovely photos...I love gardens, flowers and plants...so you can imagine how much I enjoyed this.
Those wool decorations really stole my hear. How cute is that own sitted on that tree. It almost looks like a real thing.
She was SUCH a nice lady!!! It is nice to hear that someone knows all the opera names!! The place was very photogenic!
DeleteI forgot to write...that dress you have on is really lovely.
ReplyDeleteLoved this post! Sorry to hear you didn't get to visit your intended first destination, I would have been a bit disappointed too, but these grounds are lovely and all of the adornments and details are just so pretty! I love the bug hotels you spotted and you looked lovely in these shots too! - Tasha
ReplyDeleteI knew you'd understand! The place was beautiful!
DeleteThis is completely my neck of the woods haha. Dobbies is right next to the airport pretty much. Glad you had a good day :)
ReplyDeletehttp://lizziedailyblog.blogspot.co.uk/
Ha ha, are you close to here then?? Yeh, I was perplexed as to why we couldn't spot Dobbies as EVERYONE we asked directions from mentioned it!
DeleteAww, you've been to Speke! I love Speke, especially for Christmas, with the carols and sugar-mice making activities. I don't understand how you missed Dobbies, is huge. If you decide you want to make another visit to Liverpool, maybe we can meet. Liverpool is so beautiful and there are so many things to see. I'm sure you would love Williamsons Tunnels and the 2 cathedrals. x
ReplyDeleteThat would be lovely if I do come back at all! WISH I'd seen the tunnels but stay tuned for cathedrals!
DeleteIf I ever do visit that area I'd like to see that house, too! Even though it probably won't have been yarn-bombed by the time I get there - the William Morris wallpaper design (in yarn) had some elements common to my Strawberry Thief placements, so I was in a hurry to see what the original was like.
ReplyDeleteI also loved that spacious bathroom! It looked like the sort that I have found often smell like soap :-) But I bet it would be a bit chilly in real life.
It really is a delightful place to visit. OOh, your placemats sound gorgeous. The bathroom would DEFINITELY be chilly!
DeleteIt must have been disappointing not to have visited the islands as planned, but as it was not to be you made the most of the detour. I'm sure Liverpool is very interesting. I haven't been there since a child, but would love to go there again sometime. Our granddaughter is looking at the option of going to the university next year so who knows I might get to visit her there if she does? Thanks for the tour of Speke Hall. Those black and white buildings in that region are striking. Hope you had a good weekend and I wish you a happy week.
ReplyDeleteOooh,yes, you must go and visit her if she goes there! It was lovely. Hope you have a great week!
DeleteI love Speke - I'm a scouser so I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of your photos. Sorry you didn't get to Skye, but Liverpool is a good second best!!! Did you have the origins of "eaves dropping" explained to you?
ReplyDeleteNNOOOOO, they didn't. Now you have to tell me what it means!!!!
DeleteOh, I loved this trip- thank you for taking us along! I think this is much more interesting, and colourful, possible even than the GC! Hope your mum recovered!
ReplyDeleteWhat is GC??? I enjoyed it a lot. Mum was tired but she usually is sadly!!
DeleteI can see how you’d been disappointed about missing those hard to reach places. I know I would be.
ReplyDeleteI remember you email ing me on your way home from Speke Hall, it tweaked a memory that I couldn’t place so I googled it, I’d forgotten that Alex works there - that must be how I’d heard of it before.
I love yarn bombing! It always looks so colourful and fun. I love the fruits hanging in the tree! And nice to see some felted items too. I’d have wanted to go into the greenhouse too, I always want to have a poke about in the out of bounds places and behind locked doors when I visit somewhere.
It all looks rather amazing. I often think that I should spend some time exploring our cities as I’ve visited so few, I’m looking forward to reading about the city centre walking tour.
I see that Vix has traded there once or twice, wouldn’t it be great to go when there is a festival or fair on?
I love all the crochet items. What an innovative idea. I like the little Peter Rabbit style jacket.
ReplyDeleteLiverpool is somewhere I'd like to visit one day.
Lisa x