Sunday, September 30, 2012

The greedy reader

I'd love to know your opinion on this!  In many respects, I am what I term a Greedy-reader.  If I enjoy a book, I MUST read all the other books in the series as soon as possible.  I want to devour them instantly because I enjoy them so much!  Yet, when I finish reading all that there is to offer- there is a void- I feel bereft that there is nothing further for me to read.  I remember when I first read Harry Potter- I read books 1,2,3 and finally 4 (5 wasn't out yet) and I was devastated (I use emotive, strong language here- obviously, I wasn't miserable to the point of no consolation, you know, realising that there are more important things to get passionate and het up over in life, but you get what I mean, maybe, perhaps, please? I was slightly, marginally irked) - especially as it ended on such an unresolved note with Voldemort at large, marauding goodness knows where! It was the same with the Famous Five as a child, with many other Enid Blyton series'. 
So in recent times, I have tried to sort of , prolong the delight or the waiting with books by authors I really want to read.  Take Alexander McCall Smith for example- I utterly adore him.  No, really!  I just delight in his craft!  I was given the latest three 44 Scotland street books for Christmas by J and WOMOTM (one signed by the man, no less!).  I have had the latter 3 Isabel Dalhousie stories on my shelf for a little while.  Obviously, I want to pounce on them like a hungry tiger but I am trying to read books on my shelf that have sat there for a while which I, though interested in, feel less yearning to read. So far it's going well!
However, somehow, after allowing myself to read (and review) La's orchestra saves the world, I have devoured two AMS 44 Scotland street books in one fell swoop!  Eeek, that only leaves Bertie Plays the blues left to read!  I adored both books and here is what I thought on them!


42. Alexander McCall Smith The world according to Bertie
AMS never fails to delight me with his tales.  The great thing about the 44 Scotland street series is that it is a book you can dip in and out of since it comprises of short stories since its first publication was as a daily serial in a Scottish newspaper.  It has a wonderful innocence, a lovely philsophical approach and gentle humour and musings.  Along the way, there are anecdotes and little lessons to learn.  In this book, Bertie, the little 6 year old child prodigy continues to fight against his domineering, pushy mother.  A hilarious and intriguing element of this particular character is his new little brother Ulysses (Even that makes me laugh!) who Bertie has noticed looks remarkably like his child psychologist, Dr Fairbairn, (who Bertie believes belongs in a mental institution!) who once went to a Flotarium with his mother Irene.... Olive, the bossy child in his class manages to inveigle her way into Bertie's house which causes lasting consequences for Miss Harmony, his teacher when she discovers that Olive has taken Bertie's blood unwillingly! Cyril, the dog with gold tooth who winks faces false accusations of biting and the risk of destroying.  Pat, student and Matthew, hopeless romantic wearer of oatmeal jumper and crushed raspberry cords seem to be headed towards either breakup or nuptials until he meets the love of his life!   The funniest element is the vendetta of Anthropologist Domenica, who discovers the apparent theft of her Blue Spode mug! Can be bought from Amazon here.


43.  Alexander McCall Smith The unbearable lightness of scones
The hilarity continues into this second book where it seems Bertie might be free of his psychologist, who has been offered a chair of a university!  The new one seems to lack the screw-loose that Dr Fairbairn has until Bertie makes an innocent comment relating to a wolf!  The blue spode cup saga continues with confusion, hiding in cupboards and recoinassance to rescue it.  Matthew faces a miracle rescue on his honeymoon, that or incarceration in a mental institution.  Big Lou's boyfriend is off to recreate the events of the Skye Boat song with the New Pretender and Lard O'Connor takes a nasty fall!  You just have to read this- it is an utter delight, funny, sweet, thoughtful and full of innocence that I as a grownup miss in grownup books!
Can be bought here from Amazon.

What type of reader would you say you are? What do you think of my policy of waiting to read the books?!

Thanks to www.amazon.co.uk for the images.

5 comments:

  1. I get this too. I read tons of YA books because I love the paranormal and fantasy realities so I know the feeling. Thanks for the lovely comment too Kezzie! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of Alexander Mccall Smith's books; the number one ladies detective agency is fab, too x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore the Scotland Street books but oddly, am not a huge fan of his other series. Corduroy Mansions just seems like a pale imitation of Scotland Street and the Ladies Detective Agency aren't my cup of tea at all. La's Orchestra was good though!

    I was SO sad when I finished the Harry Potter series. Had a little weep after reading the last Eva Ibbotson as well because although it wasn't part of a series, she's passed away now and there aren't going to be any more of her wonderful books :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:22 pm

    I normally want to read the other books too, but since I read sometimes two or three books together (I had to, for the Master's - little time for all the reading), I can wait for the next one. But yes, when I get caught by a story, I need to read it non-stp till the end!
    Thank you sooo much for the comment, and I'll be between London and Birmingham for some months! Flying on Friday the 5th! I love Sibelius! Is it in the evening? I bet it is... Children won't be admitted, I believe - you know, I stay at that friend in London. But pls tell me the time and address, and price, I will tell my friend - she also loves classical music!
    Eager to see you playing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a little bit like that too, if I read a book I really enjoy I will seek out everything else by that author. I'm doing it with Stephen Booth now and with Freya North years ago too. I don't think I've read any other authors that hooked me like those two did!

    I often feel a little bereft after finish a book or a set of books. I just get so absorbed and engrossed in the story or in someone elses life that finishing the book and getting back to my own life often feels dull and depressing!! Luckily it doesn't last long!

    ReplyDelete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)