I am looking and feeling decidedly autumnal today. I'm not sure I like it- I feel a bit drab! Also feel a bit like I am wearing school uniform with this outfit but for the subversive blue boots and purple tights! With the exception of Mamgu's necklace and the boots and tights, the whole outfit is past thrifted purchases.
On the subject of shopping, I have had to have a serious talk to myself. I didn't allow myself to shop during Lent and then I continued afterwards and really, I cannot go on buying things and wasting money and shopping- even if lots of them are second hand! It just seems like I never go for very long before buying something new. I can't think of a time in recent times when it was not the case. I think to a certain extent, that blogging has made me worse than my previous habits. I have far too many clothes and I don't need them, much as I love love love buying them. I am asking for your help as well- to help me ensure I am not going shopping unnecessarily. That's why I am mentioning it here- if I have actually enunciated it and shared it, I feel more accountable, like I will be better at doing it. It feels to a certain extent like it has become like a hobby and I don't want it to- that just feels wrong, for me! I am intending that if I spend any money on frivolous items, then there is something I am going to do if I do so, to make me more conscious of spending money. I always live within my means, I have not been in debt (no credit card since my second year of Uni), I don't drink, smoke, drive, have a yearning for new technology and so I have let it be the thing that I spend money on, but I need to think. I seem to spend my income, much on important things but not been saving much recently. I'm not going for a full on shopping ban again, I still want to be able to have the option but I really want to think, question and be more conscious- like only choose ONE item, once in a while, a well chosen one. I feel like I've been very materialistic in recent times and I don't want to feel that. I really like my clothes and dressing up in them, feeling like I've put together a nice outfit, I love this aspect of blogging outfits, and that isn't going to change but I need to restrict that to what I have. I do not have the space for any more and I like what I have so I don't really want to get rid of anything much so thus I cannot fill space I don't have. Plus, if I want to do grown-up things in the near distant future which involve needing money for (one lives in hope), then I need to save my money!
So, it may seem a bit converse, but with this post, not usually the type of one I do very often, I am going to share what I have been buying and let it try and be a fullstop on it for the moment!
On the right, this purple and green checked dress was just under a fiver and I really like the checks and colours on it- it's Clockhouse and a nice Autumnal piece, I think.
Bottom left, was this Topshop shirt with Peter Pan collar, cute checks again, I thought it was a lovely layering piece for trousers. £3 again.
Finally, this H&M polka-dot blazer- it will go with lots of things I own! £3.50.
I also found these two books. Having recently been to Paris, I liked the idea of these. I love whodunnits set in the past, they lack the gore of modern murders and mysteries which I don't like. Set in the late 1880's, the investigator is a young bookseller! Sounds my type of thing! £2 each!
I also bought a couple of Orla Keily items from Uniglo on Friday but that must be it for now!
Have you bought anything recently? Have you been reflecting on your shopping habits?
Linking up to Lakota's Tah Dah Tuesday because I am happy with my purchases!


Have you tried a one in one out policy? I usually find when I buy something that it can replace something else that is worn out or has shrunk or whatever, but maybe that's because I don't have as many clothes as you do so they get worn and washed individually on a more regular basis. Or you could organise a swish/swap shop and get your new things that way, without spending anything!
ReplyDeleteHowever, if you CAN afford it, there's nothing wrong with clothes being your hobby, like you said, you don't smoke, drink etc! I get the storage issue though. That's why I've not done so many charity shop buy posts recently - we simply do not have the space in our current house and personally I'm not a big fan of the jumble sale look in my house. I like 'things', but with room to breathe. I love books, but we have no more shelves. Tis a tricky one.
Nice new purchases though!
I went in a charity shop yesterday for the first time in 6 weeks. And bought NOTHING. But still wish I'd got that red dress...
ReplyDeletebefore buying ANY new garment, you have to ask The Three Questions [my daughters taught me this]
1- name 3 occasions when you will wear this garment
2-name 3 items in your existing wardrobe which will go with it
3-name 1 item you will dispose of to make space for it
I have been applying this rule for about 10 years now, and it seems to work!!
I do like the look of those french mysteries!
blessings x
I also feel more accountable for my goals when I post them online! I'm not sure my readers really care, but knowing I've put it out there in the world makes me care more about meeting my goals! Example: ethical shopping, donating my hair, getting good cost per wear from my items... it's a good thing I haven't posted anything about eating better or exercising more!
ReplyDeleteWhat great finds, i don't go in charity shops that often but when i do i always end up with a few books.
ReplyDeleteYou managed to find some good items of clothing too :)
Take care
Vanessa
x
Great buys, love, especially that Toppers dress and you look gorgeous, not drab at all!
ReplyDeleteI operate a strictly one in, two out policy. It doesn't have to be like-for-like, a dress can be swapped with a couple of paperbacks I've read, but it stops me accumulating too much stuff. I rarely spend over a tenner on anything and only ever pay by cold, hard cash which makes the buying process a lot more real! xxx
You are very autumnal and no wonder with the weather we've been having!
ReplyDeleteThe shopping thing is a difficult subject for me, because I know it's often frivolous and I have an excessive amount of...well everything, but I do enjoy shopping as a hobby and always have. At the moment, I don't have much else in my life besides that, so shopping is the only fun and 'social life' I get. Plus like you say, blogging only adds to it, you want new and exciting outfits, plus you constantly see new things/trends on other blogs!
I keep telling myself I can't keep buying for the rest of my life, but it's so hard to stop too when I enjoy it. I'm trying to buy more expensive things, less often, just to sort out the storage issues in my room, so I suppose that's a start!
First of all - your outfit is not drab or uniform like at all! It's lovely and very autumnal! I like it!! But of course, I love plaid.
ReplyDeleteI am where you are too - I gave up shopping during Lent and then picked up again full speed and haven't been very good as of late. I think I may be instigating a shopping ban starting in October, we'll see how things go!
Fab finds Kezzie, I love your skirt too x
ReplyDeletei love your outfit especially the skirt! and you're not alone on shopping and spending money even in charity shops (where i bought most of my stuff from) though i kept thinking well it's for charity and so i shouldnt feel guilty but still, at the end of the month i would think that i need to save some money and not just buy things whenever i visit charity shops (quite alot at my area which is a problem hehe) but well my husband and i are planning to have a baby and i think that's my motivation to not really buy alot now and just buy when i really really love it....but it's hard i know! but i love all those clothes you got there! especially the peterpan collar and the blazer! the dresses are so so lovely!
ReplyDeleteblog hopping from ta dah tuesday :)
x susan
Hi my dear-like many here, I also adopt a one in one or more out policy and tend only to buy what i know I will realistically wear and really like/love. Blogging is fab, but it is very easy to get caught up in the 'this is my latest purchase....again' and like you, I feel I am guilty of spending too much on thrifted things, but I don't go as often as I used to. It is a good idea to take stock and be less materialistic. I like your latest finds, especially the 1st dress. Well done for this post, its definitely food for thought for a few of us xxx
ReplyDeleteI really like your blog dear!
ReplyDeleteKeep up with the good work! :)
XO
Nothing wrong with giving each purchase a good consideration. I love your Downton-esque dress and that polka dot jacket. I do love your autumnal outfit - such a great heritage look.
ReplyDeleteI have to totally love something when I try it on or I am not allowed to buy it. It is a rule my Mum shared with me and it works for me. If you buy something you think is just ok it always just sits in the wardrobe and never gets worn. That polka dot jacket is lovely and im sure it looks gorgeous on you.
ReplyDelete