When I was a student teacher on my PGCE course, I was told by my mentor-teacher, after performing something on the flute to the children, "When you are a teacher, make sure you play your flute to the children. It's something that will amaze them and they will love it."
I took that on. And I thought I did play my flute to the children regularly. In KS1 singing assembly, I would play my flute and other instruments to the children as they were coming into assembly. In a few KS2 singing assemblies, I would play my flute to the children. I was never sure how impressed they were ...or not. In a few year 4,5,6 lessons, I would play my flute. But, this week, I ended up playing my flute to years 5 and 6 as part of their lessons. In Year 6, I was trying to demonstrate the Harmonic series as part of a lesson on Fanfares- I wanted to prove to them why fanfares are so often based on broken chords. So I performed The Last Post on my flute just using overblown harmonics on the Fundamental- Low C. (essentially, I don't move my fingers to change the pitch- just adjust my embouchure- mouth position). Similarly in my Year 4 lesson, I wanted to demonstrate Benjamin Britten's main theme from The Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra (AKA Henry Purcell's Rondo from Abdelazer) and then how to create a variation based on the musical motifs. At the moment I first took my flute out of my case and put it together, there were gasps and excited noises and then rapt applause from the class (and "Can you teach me how to do that?!" from my year 6 boy who is a good flute player). And I realised- yes, it's all very well playing to them in Assembly occasionally. But allowing them to be up close and see the instrument and hear it in a small intimate setting- well actually, it is a big deal for them! And it gave me a lovely warm tingle to see their appreciation. I should play the piano/keyboard less to them and play other instruments more.
Never underestimate the power of sharing something you love, a skill that you have, with children or people- we don't realise that actually, it is something precious and exciting for them.
I'm always in awe of anyone who can play an instrument. My daughter did flute for a short time but couldn't get the knack of it.
ReplyDeleteI played flute for years when I was a kid - I had a beautiful open-hole, solid-silver head Gemeinhart (I remember it was very expensive). They are magical instruments! I was inspired when I saw Jean-Pierre Rampal on "The Muppet Show"!
ReplyDeleteThat is so cool that you played for your group up-close, Kezzie!
Yes, you're right. We never know whom we can inspire. When I teach English to young kids, grades 1, 2, 3, 4, I sometimes draw things for them as part of their lessons or I create tasks that feature drawings. For example, for my second graders, I draw some figures and they had to connect them to English words such as mommy, daddy and so on. They always get excited when I draw something for them. So, you're right. We should share our skills with others.
ReplyDeleteIt is wonderful you play the flute to your pupils. I'm sure it's very inspirational. When I was a kid, I wanted to learn to play the flute because to me it seemed such a magical instrument. I was jealous of kids who got to play it. I'm not musically talented, but who knows some day I might pick it up. It's always good to acquire new skills.
Our daughter Sr Emma plays the flute and I have happy memories of listening to her practise when she was younger xx
ReplyDeleteThis is lovely. When I saw you play I loved it and was amazed, you have such talent Kezzie.
ReplyDeletexx