Oh, joyful pleasures need not be long and protracted, they can be short and equally wonderful!
Today, CBC had been on his usual Sunday morning cycle. He arrived back and lay in the garden awhile, tired from his 60miles of toiling. I suggested that we go to the beach via the Seafood Shack, which is a little hut alongside a local pub, and buy some food to take to the beach.
We did so, both choosing the weekend special of Alfredo Linguine- his served with prawns, mine with prawn and chicken. Being a nice independent business and not some chain with 'policies', they were happy to take my plastic containers to put our food in to take out, rather than us have to take their thick cardboard boxes (I also refused a paper bag to put them in). CBC, when I said that they had cardboard containers, said, that surely it was ok to take their containers since they weren't plastic, but I reiterated that, if you CAN avoid creating any waste, then DO IT! After all, cardboard and paper has a larger Carbon Footprint than Plastic, even if it can be recycled and composted.
We drove off and headed to the beach- not the touristy one which all the daytrippers in East London come to, but the one further down the track which has no amenities apart from some old loos and the station is nowhere near the beach. It is also more traditional looking with beach huts
CBC paid for one hour of parking so this wasn't to be a long treat but we felt SO content, sitting on the pebbles and sand, the tide was in so the sea was near but there weren't that many people on it.
The Linguine was plentiful and tasty with garlic bread on top. I'd remembered my cutlery set- in fact, I have reorganized my bamboo cutlery set into a makeup bag so I have some duplicates in case of a companion who has forgotten/not got any...so in this case, CBC!
The sound of the sea was so soothing. As there were few people, there were no screaming children to contend with.
Once I'd eaten, I told CBC I was going to change into my swimsuit. Aghast, he asked, "What, you're really going to swim?"
"Yes, of course I am!" I declared, "No matter how cold it might be, I am SWIMMING!"
It wasn't that cold. It was pleasant and as soon as you swam in it, it felt warm. As you can see, I didn't have much competition for space. One older lady was swimming a bay along. I swam back and forth a few times, lost in my thoughts without worrying about collisions. After about 20minutes, I decided that I was content to get out. I wandered up to CBC and wrapped myself in my turkish cotton lightweight towel (a Christmas present from Mum which is brilliant for light packing!) and CBC said we had 15minutes on the car. 5 minutes of reading my book, the Chilbury Ladies Choir, and then we got up ready to go.
When we got home, I went in the shower to wash off the salt, which was another delight- I do love our shower- and then, after a snuggly sit on our swing seat whilst CBC watched the Tour De France medal ceremony and I completed my book, I walked round the corner to go and pick some blackberries from an easy access stash I have discovered. To my delight, I saw a lady coming out to water the garden from the house where I had picked up some free runner bean plants from. I asked if she was the Runner Bean donater, which she confirmed, and I thanked her and said how well they were doing. She was delighted and said there would be more plants next year and she and her husband sneakily watch out the window when people go past when they put them out, egging on people to take them- they cheer when someone takes some! That conversation made both of us happy.
I hope you have had a joyous weekend with simple acts of contentment.
xx







It seems like you had a nice time by the beach Kezzie. It is wonderful you're so conscious about not creating more waste and that you brought your own plastic containers. How lovely that you were able to go for a swim. We must make the most out of these last summer days. Have a lovely start of the week.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely day! I am jealous of the Seafood Shack. I live on the coast but I would have to travel quite a distance to find a seafood eaterie on/near the beach. Very impressed at how organised you were: containers, cutlery, swimsuit and towel! Summer is definitely slipping away so you have to take your chances while you can!
ReplyDeleteWhat a gorgeous day.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you, it doesn't take much time near the sea, or out in nature to feel the benefit. I love being at home, but at this time of year I take any chance I can to be outside.
It's been a truly beautifully sunny weekend with temperatures of 24 yesterday. What a fantastic year this has been weather wise.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely day, it really is the simple things that bring joy. MIL and I sat on a park bench this afternoon, her sewing and me crocheting whilst Pip zoomed on her skateboard. We sat in the sunshine watching the birds nest the lake such a blessing xx
ReplyDeleteSounds like you had a lovely hour spent on that beach, eating tasty take-away food and going for a swim! How fabulous to have found a quiet beach that you can have practically to yourselves. I wish there was somewhere like that around here, but alas. xxx
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like a marvelous day, Kezzie! Your beach looks like the ones we have here on the coast - lots of rocks and kelp. Good for you for swimming in the ocean!
ReplyDeleteI love that you carry your own cutlery! Great pic of you and CBC. I love that little interaction you had with the Runner Bean Lady.
This made me smile. Such simple pleasures. What a lovely day.
ReplyDeletexx
What a delight to read! I love that little story about the runner bean lady and the dear sense of community there. Your beach hour sounds delicious and makes me want to go to our "nearby" beach too. Maybe I will this week. Good idea. I've made a note of the book you're reading. Sounds like a good one! Give us a review?
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful escape. We did something similar and although it's soooo late I think I'll still write about it xx
ReplyDelete