My ivy heart

At my annual summer music camp last week, we had a fun fete which we put together ourselves to emulate the usual village fete that we attend. For some reason, this year, it was not held on the usual date which means we usually provide a windband, buy lots of items and win prizes in the local competitions much to the chagrin of local people!
The classes you could enter included Handicrafts, vegetables and fruit, wellies (!), flower/plant arrangement, original art-work, jams and preserves and a few others. Originally, I considered bringing along some of my cards but then chicked out of it. Instead, on the Friday night, the day before the fete, I was luckily not involved in the rehearsals or performance of Mendohlssohn's St John, so I decided to see if I could create some original artwork for that discipline thinking that I'd make use of what I could find around camp in hope people would appreciate the innovation.
I found an old cardboard tomato crate, some old, old sheet music that was going to be chucked out for recycling and prised some ivy leaves off one of the many covered walls and happily remembered that one of the clarinettists had won a pritt-stick in a 'guess the music score' competition, that very afternoon. Finally, I purloined some scissors from the kitchen and set myself up.
After cutting the base of the tomato crate to free it of its sides, I sat and ripped the manuscript paper into jagged pieces and began sticking them onto the tomato crate base. I ensured they overlapped and covered the entire box in them, cutting at the edges to try and make sure it roughly met with the edges. Lastly, I arranged the ivy leaves into a heart shape and overlapped these and piled them on top.
Here's what I ended up with:

Alas, I did not win first prize (that honour went to some beautiful close up photos of bees) but second prize and sadly, there were only 3 entries into that class. Very disappointing that no-one else bothered to try and do something, even something silly like mine. Never mind.
I was rather pleased that this was all made from found materials and all the more pleased when my friend asked if she could buy it. I laughed lots and just gave it to her. She's going to frame it and put it up with all the other artwork in her new house. It's nice to think that in a little corner in Liverpool, my memory of this camp will hold its place.
Linking up to Creative Mondays with Claire Justine.

Congratulations on winning the second place with your Musical Ivy Heart art. Beauty can be found everywhere, even in the discarded items.
ReplyDeleteTake care, stay safe and well.
Hugs, Julia
Great memories - I love your music collage xx
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely memory, Kezzie. I love your ivy heart and by rights it should have won first price. Congratulations on your second place, though! xxx
ReplyDeleteIt is a great piece!
ReplyDeleteDoes your friend still have it hanging on her wall? It's really lovely.
ReplyDeletexx