Welcome to my latest installment of TARDIS Tuesday where I attempt to dress up as a Doctor Who character or inspiration-Screen accurate or a cursory nod, it's all fun!
Today, I am sharing an outfit from an adventure I've actually never seen but would very much like to! It's from Tom Baker's era and is worn by Sarah Jane Smith (played by the lovely, deceased Elisabeth Sladen) in an episode called The Masque of Mandragora.
It's quite hard to find any decent images of her fab 70's outfit, I've included what I can and then a Youtube video which features the outfit quite well at some points.
![]() |
| Image borrowed from Who Back then |
![]() |
| IMage borrowed from this Pinterest |
Check out this amazing Deviant Art representation of it! What a clever person.
It comprises of a beautiful loose, midi, folk tapestry dress worn with a high-necked white blouse with black piping ties and knee-high brown boots.
This is another one of those, "Hmmm, I can sort of do that with items of clothing I own!"outfits but really became possible when I found a beautiful light summer dress in the charity shop during my last week of the holiday.
And here's my version:
As you can see, my version is really a sort of nod to the outfit but I hope you will agree it sort of works!
The dress was the key piece which I picked up in the charity shop - it is light but covered in sort of folksy embroidery- it was very much my type of thing but it had a dual use so that was super!
Worn with my very old Italian knee-high boots. The leather is all coming away from the zips but I love these- they are so comfy! The blouse has been rather a useful piece. It's from Autograph at M&S but I found it brand new in a charity shop in Hexham and is a beautiful, textured silk and cotton mix. I bought it for a Clara outfit originally but then used it for another Clara outfit and I realised how well it worked for an alternative to Sarah Jane's blouse.
What do you think? Can you see enough resemblance for this to work?
xx



I really like this outfit, your version is something I would wear. That dress and blouse work very well together, don't they?. Excellent charity shop finds! xx
ReplyDeleteWhat a cute cosplay look! I love the dress worn over a white shirt, you look so adorable.
ReplyDeleteYour dress is really pretty and I can definitely see the resemblance - kind of a style imitating TV rather than a cosplay. The original outfit does look very 70s. Haha.
ReplyDeleteI might be wrong but Sarah Jane's dress looks suspiciously like an Anokhi block print - my Mum was obsessed with her clothes when we used to watch this and no wonder!
ReplyDeleteYour interpretation is fab! x
I love your take on this outfit, Kezzie, and in fact I am loving your dress more than the original. What a great find. And it looks gorgeous on you too. xxx
ReplyDeleteNice! Close resemblance. And those boots make me swoon. :)
ReplyDeleteI think you did a great job finding something that's nearly the identical style, if not the same colour. The boots are awesome!
ReplyDeleteHurrah for charity shops!
ReplyDeletexx