Wednesday, September 25, 2019

A solution to swimming in carrots- Red Lentil and Carrot curry


I have 5 bags of carrots in the fridge at home because there seems to be a surplus at school and they were going out of date.  I've been eating carrot batons and grating it in Tuna Mayonnaise but wanted to do something cooked with the carrots.  You might ask if other people could use them too but people HAVE been taking bags, but annoyingly, the carrots started to turn black so someone dumped three bags in the bin. I fished them out because I know the black is only surface level and you peel it off in the first layer of peel (I have extensive experience of surplus school carrots in the last year)

Luckily, during my search for a 20minute lentil curry in a hurry which I heard mention of in someone's Instagram post, I found this Abel and Cole recipe https://www.abelandcole.co.uk/recipes/red-lentil-curry-in-a-hurry which uses carrots as a main ingredient! "Great!"  I thought, "That'll get rid of a lot of carrots!!!"

It's very unusual for me to try a new recipe- I'm a throw veg in a pan, tray, kind of cook and I don't really follow recipes but this one looked easy.


Ingredients

  • A few glugs of olive oil
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • A mug of finely diced carrots, butternut squash or celery (optional)
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • ½ red or green chilli, finely chopped*
  • 2cm chunk of fresh ginger, finely grated
  • ½ mug of red lentils
  • 1 tsp cumin (ground or seeds)
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • A pinch of ground cinnamon
  • 1 mugof water
  • A good pinch of sea salt
  • A few handfuls of leafy seasonal greens and/or diced or halved tomatoes
  • 1 lemon or lime

Method

1.Heat a splash of oil in a hot lidded pan. Add the onion and carrot or celery, if using. Sizzle till tender.
2.Swirl in the garlic, chilli and ginger. Cook till just softened. Top up with oil as and when needed.
3.Add the lentils and spices. Toast for a minute, folding everything together.
4.Add a pinch of salt and the water. Let it sizzle up. Pop a lid on. Turn the heat down. Simmer for 10mins, or until the water is absorbed. Keep an eye on it and top up if needed.
5.Once the lentils are tender, gloss with oil, fold in your green leaves or tomatoes till softened and warmed through. Taste. Adjust seasoning as needed. Finish with lemon or lime juice and zest.




The good thing about this recipe was that I had everything in the house already and it used up a few things I had a surfeit of- carrots, obviously, tomatoes, lentils, onions, limes and some Pak choi that really needed eating.


CBC was excited I was making a new recipe and seemed to enjoy it, saying, "How many limes did you use in this?". He was surprised when I said only 1-but nodded sagely when I said I'd used the zest also.  We had left over rice and Broccoli from Monday's meal so it was a useful way to use up that also.
There's some for dinner before orchestra tomorrow so hurrah!

I suspect I may be making this a few more times in the next few weeks as I work my way through those carrots- or back to Carrot and butterbean soup!

Do let me know if you give this a try. It's completely vegan and I believe, Dairy and Gluten free!

x

9 comments:

  1. Ooh! I've got all these ingredients too. And my daughter is doing some work with A&C at the moment too. She says they're a really lovely company to do business with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks yummy - you're making me hungry! I have made carrot-ginger soup a few times, and it's delicious - I add coconut milk for a nice creaminess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love carrot cake with cream cheese frosting and the recipe calls for three cups of grated carrots. I mince them in my food processor. It has become one of our favorite cake and is well like at our church suppers.

    I love squash soup with carrot. It's a bit hot but delicious.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great recipe. I love carrots. I might try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks good. Maybe I'll try it. I have a surplus of tomatoes to use up so I'll be making tomato-and-chilli chutney today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking absolutely delicious, Kezzie! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks so yummy and a great way to use up carrots! it's nice you have so many - you could try juicing them too!

    Hope that your week is going well :)

    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adding this to my never-ending list of things to make- looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks fab - I've got that book (a lucky freebie) and all the recipes I've tried come out a treat! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)