Monday, October 30, 2017

What's in my handbag? The unsightly and embarrassing edition

Do you remember there was a time when bloggers were doing those 'What's in my handbag?' posts.
I always planned to do one though never actually complete one.
I was always amazed by the most curated,beautifully organised handbags and wondered what mine would look like comparatively.  

When it began to feel like I was carrying a sack of bricks on my shoulder the last day of term, I decided to empty my handbag and see what was going on.
 Yes.  Not pretty is it.
 Here's the rubbish I sorted out from it.  Crisp packets, reply slips from school trips, old tissues in their thousands, serviettes, wrappers, bits of 'things'.  I've been carrying kilos of it around!!
 There were about 30 receipts which got shredded into the compost. OH and some envelopes.
 On the plus side, there was some random bits of money! Hurrah!
And here are the useful items that made it back into the handbag:


  • Fox purse - now emptied of many receipts.
  • Liberty notepad
  • Exercise book for writing inspiration and song writing
  • Camera
  • Hairbrush
  • Cross Pen in posh pen case - gift from the luthiers when I left the Academy.
  • 3 hair scrunchies and a clip.
  • handbag clip for securing bag to table when in public
  • Cath Kidston umbrella
  • Cath Kidston oyster card.
  • Sanitary towels x3
  • Keys
  • Pencil
  • Smints
  • Neal's yard breath freshner
  • Lipbalm with SPF15
  • Lipbalm without SPF
  • Handcream and face moisturiser x 3
  • Marker pen.


And the ones missed out:

  • Sunglasses
  • Phone


I expect it will resume its usual state of egregious dustbin in a few days flat but it's nice to have a fresh start every so often.

What's in YOUR handbag? And is it as bad as mine?

x


24 comments:

  1. That is a lot to be humping about!
    I use a different bag every time I go out so the contents gets emptied daily.
    I always take my purse, tissues, mirror, lipstick, hairbrush, notepad & biro, an umbrella, a bag for life and the house keys. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trouble is, I am v forgetful and get up at the last minute for work so I just need a general 'it's in there' handbag. And I'd rather be doing other things rather than doing s handbag swap. I tend to use the same handbag for months and then swap. Current one is a cute Squirrel print Oil cloth one I picked up in the charity shop for £4!Xx

      Delete
    2. I upend the bag when I get in and leave the contents on the table - takes a second to stick it in another bag - honest! x

      Delete
  2. Which handbag? The little one I use for church, the posh clutch for evenings out, the satchel one I use when I go out for the day, the middlesized one [full of small cotton totes, rolled neatly]used for shopping trips, The across -body one I wear when cycling...and they all have tissues and pens and cough sweets and...I really need to follow your good example!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHHHHHHHHHH, but are they CLEAN tissues or dirty tissues???

      I do own other smaller or larger handbags but the trouble is, I am v forgetful and get up at the last minute for work/church/anything so I just need a general 'it's in there' handbag. The few times I've swapped handbag, I've ended up leaving my purse and keys in the wrong one and turned up to the station for work and had a panic!. I tend to use the same handbag for months and then swap. Current one is a cute Squirrel print Oil cloth one I picked up in the charity shop for £4!Xx

      Delete
  3. Mine was terrible, but I bought a new bag recently and had a good sort out and it's all shiney and clean now - I'm sure it'll be back to it's manky old state soon enough though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha, glad I'm not alone in the manky bag stakes!

      Delete
  4. This is pretty much what mine always looks like too haha! It doesn't matter how often I clear it out within two days it's filled with rubbish again haha XD xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad there are a few of us! I think it is because we are secret geniuses!

      Delete
  5. Wow! I'm the kind of person who never stores rubbish or old receipts in my bag. I'm also the kind of person that hoovers it out at three or four times a week though (and I'm not joking)... I'll be honest, I was quite horrified when I saw your bag though secretly a little envious as there's a very small part of me that wishes I could be that relaxed about things to actually just stuff receipts or whatever in my bag and not worry about it! I'm so bad, I very often don't take a bag as I get it all hoovered and beautifully packed then don't want to use it and disturb the neatness. People very often tell me that I "need help" but I'm happy with my 'quirks'! I always enjoy seeing these kinds of posts though, even if they sometimes make me twitch, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hovering????? Ha ha!! But better to be organized like you than a mess like me!!

      Delete
  6. My big question is how do you find anything? Do you have sections in your bag or just root around every time?
    I recently injured my shoulder and was told to leave off the shoulder bags. So pared down drastically to fit in a waistbag. Keys, sunglasses, coinpurse with a few cards and phone. That's it! Liberating!
    xo Jazzy Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, my husband jokes about me never being able to find anything but there is some organization. Keys, phone and lip products go in an outside zip section, there is an internal pocket that some things go in and when i resorted it, the face cream etc went into a little plastic lippy bag!

      Delete
  7. That's a lot of stuff! Like Vix, I change bags daily and never really accumulate much. Phone, compact, lippy, handkerchief, wallet,medications. That's about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blimey, that's a lot of stuff! You must feel light as a feather now!

    I have two main bags in use at one time. One is tiny so I can only fit the essentials - keys, phone, purse, tissues, lip balm, small carrier bag. When I use the larger bags I have - one for summer, one for the rest of the year, I have a bag insert (made from another bag) so I don't lose anything. If I'm using one of these I tend to also have my umbrella and a larger shopping bag.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for reminding me to clean out my purse. It's probably full of receipts and notes to myself. I have way too many lipsticks and pens in there, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello fox purse!

    My handbag is relatively new as it was a birthday present that I picked up while I was in Northumberland (my old one was literally falling apart!), buuut I have definitely already accumulated a few old receipts and things in there already. No used tissues though ;-) My purse, residence permit and passport live in my handbag permanently - residence permit because I'm required to keep it with me at all times and passport because my residence permit is only valid in combination with my passport. I actually HATE carrying my passport around with me - what if I lose it?! The door to our flat has to be locked from the inside, otherwise anyone could just open it and come in, so my keys are only in my handbag when I leave the house - otherwise they're on the inside of the door.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Like Vix and Goody, I regularly change bags, especially in the weekends. I'm rather organized, so my handbag contains my purse, my phone, keys and a small make-up bag containing lipstick, painkillers, eye drops, plasters, Etc. There is the odd scrunched up tissue or receipt, but that's it. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that's a lot of stuff to carry around.
    I clean mine out about every one or two weeks and I carry only essentials like my change purse, my wallet, tissues, pens, note pad, latest receipts, a cheque book and credit cards, other cards, a comb and nail clipper, latest receipts, a mint candy , my car keys and cell phone and that's about it. When I travel, I add extra stuff.

    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  13. This really made me laugh, it looks similar to my bag! Always so many receipts and post-it notes....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I remember those old posts well! My bag looks a lot like yours !

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a constant battle with my various purses (as we call them here). I like many pockets to keep things separate, so it doesn't become a huge MASS of mess, haha! Like you, I end up with many wadded tissues, and old receipts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A very honest pot.
    I have 2 bags. One for work and one for when not at work. They both have the same things in like lip balm and tissues and painkillers. All I need to do is swap my purse between them. I did this as I didn't like taking my work pass and computer card out with me on days off and would sometimes forget to put them back in for work.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like to keep my handbag orderly then I know where everything is ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)