Thursday, October 12, 2017

Dance, dance.

Dancing is a wonderful thing! It can make you soar with joy.  We went to a Lindy hop class last night for the first time in ages.  There is something so wonderful and infectious about it.  At the end, we had our usual social dance for half an hour or so. Pete, the teacher who was taking that dance, asked me to dance and we had a great dance where I managed to pick up what steps he was trying to get me to do, esp after he gave me a few tries at a move if I didn't quite master it or also to give me practice at it. Such a considerate dancer!  I cannot help but smile and laugh dancing to swing music.
I will never be a truly 'good' dancer- I lack the grace, flexibility and fluidity, but I can enjoy the process.  For me, so many years of dancing, from the age of 5-13 was just difficult.  I was tall and awkward with a  tight muscle condition which meant I could never do the splits, perform wide jetes or do my Grand Battement exercises at the barre with any sort of height or flexibility.  Inevitably, I was always stuck in the back row for dances where the smaller, more elegant dancers always had a front position. I understood the reasoning- you want the better dancers with the widest smiles and also the shorter ones to shine at the front, but it didn't help the confidence of a gangly, quite-shy teenager.  All those insecurities will probably always remain with me about my dancing abilities but I am glad that I discovered Lindy-hop and was able to engage with dance in a different way.  Sometimes, you have to try a different version of something to succeed in conquering those insecurities or at least taming them.

Have you encountered a new version of something that you found hard or failed at as a child?

x

10 comments:

  1. We were at a music event in the city last weekend where a couple got up and began lindy hopping and not only were they smiling but we were too as it was lovely to watch.
    Dancing never fails to put a smile on my face, good fun and great exercise.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just started an 'art for beginners' class and am really enjoying it. Having spent lots of time thinking that 'I can't draw' I'm really enjoying being creative and just trying it out again.

    Liz x
    Distract Me Now Please

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to never dance in public for fear of looking bad -- but that changed when I realized that we dance for ourselves, not others. Now I dance and simply don't care what others think. I'm glad you're enjoying dance: physical movement is what nature intended us to use our bodies for!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love dancing, just not in public! Lindy-hop looks like lots of fun. I'm glad you discovered it and have overcome your insecurities! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! We square danced in school when I was a kid and then we took Young Life kids to camp and they square danced. It was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is that you in the red dress? I remember when I first started reading your blog, you and your hubby were doing a good bit of dancing, and you were blogging about it. It looked very fun, and I wondered about how I never did dance much at all, even though I do like it. I have good rhythm, but my husband has none at all. Fun photo!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd love to learn Lindyhop or Swing Dance. I've often thought of joining classes near where I live. I do feel a bit old for it though. I too studied ballet between the ages of 10 and 15. I wasn't the right build for a dancer in those days though, still aren't, but I love it. I enjoy my Zumba dancing, but sometimes I get the urge to try something new. I may do it next year if I pluck up the courage.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to see you dance the Lindyhop. I haven't been to a dance in ages. My husband and I used to go to dances years ago. All of a sudden, he's not in the mood to dance but prefer to talk to people. Sigh. I love to dance.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dancing is such fun and a great form of exercise.
    I love music that just makes you want to move your feet!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think is nice you are dancing again, despite the less than pleasant experiences you had as a child. Dancing should be fun and is also a great way to workout.

    ReplyDelete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)