The random ramblings of an eclectic eccentric who wends waywardly through a myriad of activities!
Wednesday, October 18, 2017
Me and Technology
I was just reading Corinne's post about her new Macbook and it got me to thinking about me and technology.
Now, as I am sure you are aware, I am not adverse to spending money on things I like- clothes, brooches, clothes, Doctor Who things, dancing, clothes etc.
But technology- no.
The laptop I use is a Sony Vaio which used to belong to CBC's Mum. I've had it for 2-3 years now. Before that, I had the school laptop I was given when I started at my current school 10 years ago- I only stopped using it due to an unfortunate accident with a cup of tea.
The one before that was my sister's old laptop that I bought from her for £100. I used that for several years until it got a virus.
That said, I did buy a Huawei tablet last September but again, this belonged to someone else. It belonged to our School business Manager's mum and she never used it so I bought it from her. I wanted one because I really wanted to use Instagram but my phone is too ancient to support it.
You can see where this is going? I seem to have a weird aversion to buying any technology new. I just don't like giving in to the 'Must have the latest model'.
What about phones?
Well, my current HTC Desire I have had for four years now. It belonged to my sister before that and she hadn't used it for 2 years before I acquired it- I only gave into that because a freak accident led to my beloved Nokia swivel phone ending up in a cup of water.
All my previous phones before that were all my sister and Mum's rejects.
The ONE phone I paid for was my Nokia 3210- and I accidentally left it on a train.
Camera? Well, my old Digital camera belonged to my Mum and I bought it from her. I had an accident with the tripod where it ended up falling onto concrete. Luckily, WOMOTM and J bought me a lovely Canon digital for my 31st birthday which I have used lovingly ever since. It was repaired after another tripod accident.
Thinking about it, even the washing machine that I bought when my old one broke when I lived at home was 2nd hand from a friend's Dad who had gone into a Nursing Home and it wasn't used. I know they say it is cheaper to buy a new item of technology than repair an old one but I think my eco-conscience would prefer to fix the old thing- it's not like all parts could be repaired easily.
I think I honestly refuse to spend money on a new thing when the one I have is perfectly functional. CBC despairs of me over my clunky old Smartphone but I often remember a male friend who was mugged for his mobile phone in East London. Like me, his was ancient and when they took it, they said, "What is this!?????" and handed it back to him. I think that might happen with mine.
In conclusion, I am remarkably stingy when it comes to shelling out money on technology and would much prefer to keep something from landfill if it functions well enough.
What's your take on technology?
x
16 comments:
Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I like having a smart smart phone, but I don't think you're missing anything if what you have works.
ReplyDeleteI like technology that I understand and that works. I'm still using my old stupid cell phone that is so out of date. I use it for calling and receiving messages but it's not user friendly. Come to think of it I'm old and out of date too.
ReplyDeleteHugs, Julia
I'm a complete Luddite. My PC came from Aldi 15 years ago. I don't have a laptop or a tablet (I'm not even sure I know what one is), my phone is a old school pay-as-you-go Nokia (bought from eBay for £5) I keep switched off in a drawer, only taking it out and turning it on if I'm off for an adventure on my own. I bought my digital camera new last year, apparently I can wi-fi it to my internet but I don't even know what that means or if I need to do it.
ReplyDeleteMy Kobo (ereader) was secondhand off Ebay. xxx
My view is that if you're happy with the technology you have and it does everything you want it to do then there's no need to upgrade. Having said that, I resisted getting a new phone for a really long time, but then I bought an up to date phone and I realised I was making life harder for myself in terms of the little things I wanted to do.
ReplyDeleteThe camera is better, I can listen to podcasts, make notes and stay organised with my calendar, it's easier to share things with Dan and my family. I can do more of the things I like to do without having to use my laptop, and it only costs a couple of pounds a month more than before (still less than £20 per month).
Also, there are charities that can take your old phone for recycling or reuse.
Im pretty useless when it comes to technology. I was taught to type on an old manual typewriter and so tend to be a bit heavy on the keys which damages them and wears them out prematurely.
ReplyDeleteIm pretty useless with my phone too and can never figure out how to download apps that might make my life easier. Its also virtually impossible to download photos from it too these days
OH gets very frustrated with me so much so that hes insisting on getting me a more up to date phone for xmas so watch this space for potential improvement and being forced into the 21st century.
I am with you, Kezzie, I am a bit the same. Actually, I only use a mobile because otherwise, traveling quite a bit, I wouldn't be able to communicate well or in emergencies in places abroad. But I am not a mobile fan at all. Computers, well, I bought new ones like this - a Dell one in 2006, that was good till 2010, when it then got to be very heavy to carry during trips. Then a smaller one that I used till 2014, when it got a bit too old and without space for all I had stored from my master's. Then a Lenovo that i use now and it is, somehow, getting a bit bad, but I don't want to buy a new one :) I agree with you, why buying the "latest thing" if they are working well? You are doing it fine and helping the planet! Hope you have a ice day! XXX
ReplyDeleteDenisesPlanet.com
Kezzie, I meant nice day :)
ReplyDeleteI don't give a hoot about the latest this or that in phones and the such like. Am happy to buy second hand if it does the job.
ReplyDeleteLisa x
Technology for me is still the new subject that they didn't teach when I was at school...
ReplyDeleteI'm exactly the same! Why buy new when what you have still works? We're "late adopters." :-)
ReplyDeleteI'm the same, Kezzie. My laptop is considered old, but still going strong after 7 years, so why should I buy a new one. We changed our old TV for a flatscreen last year, but only because we needed to use up some vouchers. And I've only just bought a smartphone, as my old Nokia was playing up, but I'm planning on using it until it stops working. xxx
ReplyDeleteI'm a techno dinosaur ...
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
I am not too bothered about the newest of phones either Kezzie. My Husband brought me one a few years ago ad I still love it. I think I will use it quite a few more years yet. Until I really need a new phone or unless something happens to it :) x
ReplyDeleteMy current phone is the first new one I've had since I got my Nokia 3310 however many years ago. Before my current phone I had a BlackBerry inherited from my sister (and that replaced aforementioned Nokia, which I had for 13 years!), but it died spectacularly so Jan bought me an actual new smartphone last year. It's so weird having a phone people might actually want to steal :-o I hope it will last a long time! My laptop is quite new, but it actually belongs to work and I'm only allowed to use it for work. And the PC is Jan's really! My tablet is about 4 years old now and it came free with a subscription to a news magazine! I would never have actually bought a tablet.
ReplyDeleteI am totally with you on this Kezzie. I am not the least bit excited about new technology that seems to come out once a month. Will you believe that I am only on my 3rd cell phone in 10 years? I'm serious. I simply don't keep up with the latest models. As long as it works, I say, "why get a new one?" And the only reason I have the phones at all is because of my mom. I wouldn't even know how to purchase these devices!
ReplyDeleteI'm a little more open to buying music players (mp3 players) so I can listen to my classical music (I refuse to use an iPod or phone for my music) but other than that, most of my money is spent on rent, food, transportation (bus fare) and of course, books. :)
I;m not overly interested in technology either - as long as everything I need sorta works I;m good!
ReplyDelete