
I must say, I am really enjoying Peter Capaldi's interpretation of The Doctor in Doctor Who so far. I'm also enjoying it because CBC has voluntarily watched it with me each week, the day after on i-player. I woke up this morning to find him watching the previous night's episode on i-Player in bed on his phone!! CBC usually disses Doctor Who. And yet, though he denies it, I think he's starting to like it.
I'm trying to think what it is I am enjoying:
- I love the accent- nothing like a good old Scottish accent to cheer me up (I love any accent north of Birmingham! I often bemoan my boring accent and confess to saying the Lord's prayer at church aloud with slight northern twang on certain words- and the life ever-laaaasting).
- The fact that there is no Doctor-Assistant love-triangle,will-they-wont-they relationship. Honestly, with new Who, I was really tired of that. I know that with Donna, there wasn't any of that, but I was getting a bit bored with it.
- The fact that he is bossy, grumpy and sarcastic with Clara. It's funny and sets a different mood.
- He's so different to the others, yet there is that Doctor magic that stays despite the change of personnel.
- He does, for me, hark back to Old-Who a bit more. This is good.
- He's a super actor and he's a bit insane! He reminds me of my old Scottish flute teacher! Also insane.
On the subject, I really do like Clara as an assistant. Great actress, she's clever, has a good job (aha, we teachers are all secretly travelling with The Doctor), wears nice clothes (sorry, superficial, but it's nice to be able to think, "Oooh, I can dress up secretly as Doctor Who and know one except super geeky-fans like me will know!" I love surreptitious costuming! I think it's known as Cosplay. Can't wait till my Collar clips arrive. I ordered them a month ago!) and as I said, I like an accent.
![]() |
| The outfit is wrong but the dress was bought because it looks a tiny bit like Clara's dress from Journey to the centre of the TARDIS a bit. |
![]() |
| This is brighter in real life/other photos.... |
| It's not like I can subtly wear this for work... |
![]() |
| This is a bit more obvious. But more get-away-able with than the Dalek... |
If there are a few things that annoy me with New Who, they are this:
- New Who is SO centered on Earth. Why can we not visit different planets more, with different locations,see more. I tend to find that most episodes are either,on Earth, hovered in a space-ship above Earth, in Earth in an alternative dimension. Seriously??????? You could go anywhere!?!?!?!!
- Why is everything ALWAYS apocalyptic? The world doesn't have to ALWAYS be in imminent danger of being totally blown up forever. Some old Who had danger, intrigue, suspense but it could be more localised. Everything is always SO extreme. Can we just have something that is focused on the one place getting destroyed or something going wrong?
- I know the overarching theme wraps things up in terms of a series but I wouldn't mind if there wasn't one? Why does everything have to be linked up all across the time and space. I just don't like the coincidence. It's just too convenient!
What I'd like:
- Can the Doctor please go back to the Eye of Orion? I always wanted him to go back to that place.I even began my own Doctor Who novel based on the Eye of Orion when Paul McGann became the Doctor. Never got very far with it because, well, it's hard writing a novel!
- Some old classic monsters to come back.
- For the Doctor to find and meet up with old assistant, Romana, or Ace or indeed any of them! It happened to Sarah Jane Smith, so why not anyone else?
- More historical stories.
Other than that, I am loving it! I really hope that Capaldi sticks at the role longer than Matt Smith and co and gets many series under his belt and doesn't decide to move on and make the Doctor run out of regenerations!
What do you think of Doctor Who? Old Who? New Who? Assistants? Capaldi? Monsters?
You name it, I'm happy to listen!!!
xx



Fun post! You caught me with that first pic and kept me with your engaging narrative. I must confess that I'm a New Whovian, and don't have much knowledge of it before the reboot with Eccleston, but I did fall in love with Tennant and base all my opinions on him. That said, I am enjoying Capaldi immensely. I, too, was getting bothered by the romantic chemistry between the Doctor and the Companion. I guess that's why I adored Donna and loved the Amy/Rory days more than the Amy days. I can't wait to see how this all plays out but I know I'm here for the rest of the ride.
ReplyDeleteGreat outfits, btw. :D
I fell out of love with Dr Who a while back, but I really like Capaldi's version, and Clara is really beautiful. Whoever devised the costumes on the latest seasons is doing an amazing job!
ReplyDeleteOwl Girl | A London lifestyle blog
I have not watched New Who since David left. I hardly watch any tv at all but perhaps I should hunt down some Who online and watch again. You look so adorable as a Dalek and I think you look much cuter than Clara.
ReplyDeletexoxo
I lost interest after Chris Eccleston left - now there's a sexy Northern accent! I love Peter Capaldi as an actor especially in Getting on. xxx
ReplyDeleteGreat post - I like Peter Capaldi but I've found the stories quite weak.
ReplyDeleteLizzie's Daily Blog
Looks like I'm the only one who never see it!Now I want to wtch it!
ReplyDeleteFabrizia – Cosa Mi Metto???
Great post, Have a nice week!
ReplyDeleteEccleston was my favourite doctor but I liked Tennant as well. I am liking Capalidi so far. A bit intense and a bit darker. Have noticed that he has started to get some funny one liners which I like. Sorry - have never taken to Clara. She is lovely looking but too bossy for me. Also she seems to be complaining whenever the time comes to travel with the Doctor. Either you are his companion or you are not I say!
ReplyDeleteI cannot contribute even a smidgen to the Dr Who debate, having watched probably less than 15 minutes of it in my life. What I CAN contribute is a love of David Tennant and the Scottish accent. Both are delicious in my book. xxx
ReplyDeleteI agree with many of the points you listed. I always find it hard changing Doctors as I get to like the current one enough not to want a change! I always get used to it and I've just started to quite like Capaldi for his older doctorness and the way he is with Clara. I think Capaldi is good and Clara is good but the writing isn't great at the moment. I'm also a bit fed up of everything being linked - I'd like more of those one off stories, wrapped up in one episode.
ReplyDeleteTime Heist was the best episode for a long time. Loving Capaldi's doctor - very well written, the dialogue just crackles!!
ReplyDeleteI really liked Chris Eccleston's Doctor and wish there had been more of him. Loved David Tennant's (because I think he is SO sexy albeit a tad petit for a big girl like me) but got fed up with the Rose-Doctor mooning. Liked Matt Smith too, but got fed up with the Amy mooning, so liked Rory entering the fold. River Song was good (but frankly a tad over-used for my tastes)
ReplyDeleteAnd Peter Capaldi...my jury's still out. I do find him a bit hard to understand, and I'm not sure I like the grumpy old fart-ishness of his character, but I like Clara a lot now she won't be falling in love with him. But there does seem to be some jealousy between the Doctor and Danny Pink - I really hope that doesn't reveal itself to be lovey-dovey jealousy. That really would be wrong.
I have a Doctor Who scarf too, knitted by my MiL for me last Christmas! Noone here in France seems to have recognised it as such though (yet) Perhaps I should buy an appropriate fedora-type hat to go with it!
More historical stories and an assistant who isn't female and from the present day UK. Why doesn't he get a celt or a completely different species as a companion?! I don't know why the assistant has to be important, why can't the Doctor Pick someone up for a 4 part adventure then drop them back home. I also miss 3/4 episode stories xx
ReplyDeleteI have been seen next to that very same Police box in January when I visited London ;)
ReplyDeleteI have to confess, I don't really like Capaldi as a new Doctor. He's not funny nor confused enough in my opinion. My favourite doctor has been definitely David Tennant. And my favourite assistant is Souffle girl. And I love River Song!
I have seen the old episodes too, even the black and white ones, but I have to say, I don't really like the old doctors as much as the new.
I haven't watched DW since I was a kid...they just don't appeal to me, though I know I'm in the minority on that.
ReplyDeleteI'm not a Whovian, as they call 'em. I watched WAY too much Dr. Who in jr. high school, on Sunday afternoons, with Tom Baker, and I became literally SICK of it. Bleh. Evidently it's truly a great show now, but we have no TV reception (which is good) so we miss a few shows (which is bad). My kids (and esp. my future daughter in law, are huge fans. I did not recognize the dalek outfit at first :) I wondered what you were doing with Christmas balls on your skirt!!
ReplyDelete