Monday, July 01, 2013

The dream skirt



It's Inspiration Monday with Mrs and Mrs Bird (!)  AKA Twobirds (congratulations to one-week married Megan!).  This is quite a sweet look. I love these lacy shorts.  I don't own any but I do own this skirt, which is white and short and cute.

When I worked in HE administration, I dreamed up a skirt I'd like.  It was broderie anglaise and embroidered with coloured butterflies.  It would have a rainbow-beribboned waistband.
And then, bizarrely enough, I was wandering in Marylebone high street in my lunchbreak and I happened to go into Whistles, a higher-end high-street UK store and saw this skirt on a rack.  It was still about £70 but it was like my dream-skirt (without being Broderie Anglaise).  However, a) that was too expensive and b) not in my size. No Whistles stores in London had a size 8 left sadly. I actually ended up buying the sarong and dresss in the same range- but they were print not embroidered.
Fast forward a couple of years and for some bizarre reason, I did a search on Ebay for Whistles butterfly skirt and some darling person was selling one for a mere fraction of the price!  That was a happy day when I finally met my skirt! (That sounds like something that Daniel Cleaver would say in Bridget Jones!)
Butterfly skirt

Today, since I was teaching Javanese gamelan to children and would be clambering all over the floor, I obviously didn't wear the skirt for school but I did wear the other elements!
This WILL be the last time you see my stomach!  I don't like tying my shirt up but it does look cute on people, it just makes me a bit self-conscious!

skirt closeup
The skirt is Whistles via Ebay, blouse- H&M, necklaces (whitestuff and birthday gifts), shoes- Cath Kidston, denim headband and bag-Primark.

I was a little nervous about today as I was teaching gamelan to children on a real gamelan for the first time. I've taught adults and university students and children on normal percussion but never on the real thing with children!  I knew it would be fine but I still find the unknow a little unnerving.  We managed to get there and back safely and in time, the teaching went well and the children seemed to really enjoy it.  They really enoyed sketching the instruments as well, which I got them to do when they weren't playing.  Definitely, a trip to repeat! Thanks to my Mum who came along to help too!

IMG_3602

IMG_3601

Hope you are well xxx

11 comments:

  1. Isn't it great when you find your dream item so many years on? I'm still searching for the size 14 All Saints flag dress. I'm convinced it will come up someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Butterflies on your skirt!! I love it! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's a very pretty skirt x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely skirt, good things come to those that wait! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. how great that you found your dream skirt at your dream price!! and it's so darling on you! that classroom looks amazingly fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look lovely and summery, a great skirt! Glad the gamelan went well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a super fun skirt
    love the "3d" look of the butterfiles
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is a totally beautiful skirt - I think you can definitely pull of a bit of midriff showing, but wear what makes you happy! The embroidery is amazing and the rainbow ribbons are wonderful! ooh Gamelan, looks like great fun to learn, I'm glad it was a success! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love a happy ending to a 'stalking x item' story!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous1:44 pm

    As Vix said, good things come to those that wait! It's very pretty! I love broderie anglais too xxx

    ReplyDelete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)