Friday, July 05, 2013

Elizabeth Goudge

Hello!
How are you?  Well, I hope!  Isn't it a super day!?!  I love the sun! 
When I was young, the BBC made a children's TV series called Moonacre (it starred the girl who played Jill in The Silver Chair as Maria Merryweather).  It really captured my heart, that series and I watched the credits with sadness when the series finished.  But as those credits rolled, I noticed the 'adapted from Elizabeth Goudge's book- Little White Horse.  It was then that I went to WH Smith and ordered my first book (usually I'd buy what they had in the shop). 
Goodness knows what happened to my original copy but recently, I found a copy of it in a charity shop and bought it gleefully.

It tells the story of Maria Merryweather, a Victorian girl aged 16, who goes to live in her cousin's home, Moonacre in the Moonacre valley near the village of Silvery Dew.  She sights a little white horse fleetingly as she arrives.  Much is mysterious at Moonacre, people call her the Moon Princess and she seems to spy what her nurse, Miss Heliotrope, used to call her imaginary friend when she was a litle girl.  There seems a great mystery.  Why did all the previous Moon princesses have to leave Moonacre, why did they always quarrel with the Sun Merryweathers. And who is that little white horse and why does Wrolf, the companion dog, seem so like a lion? 
The story is really beautiful, wonderfully imaginative with a great deal of heart, love and mystery.  The people of SilveryDew have faith that all will turn out well this time with Maria as Moon Princess.  A lovely story that girls particularly would enjoy.  Her powers of description are just enough to make you sigh at the beauty of it but not too much to bore you! It's over 50 years old but this story stands the test of time.

After finishing it, I noticed that I had bought another book by Elizabeth Goudge a while back that was on my shelf called Smoky House which I hadn't read yet.  I read this one too.  It was set in Devon and was the account of a happy family of children who live with their father in an inn.  The story begins as a mysterious fiddle player arrives in the village. His music is so wonderful and captivating, they cannot bear to let him leave so he stays.   The children fear the famous highwayman and smuggler, The man in the red handkerchief and tell tales about him.  The squire of the village plays with them and is so generous to all the poor in the village.  All goes well until one day,  they discover the smugglers are a little close to home and the fiddler is not what he seems.

Again, the author's description is beautiful and you really warm to the place and the characters and feel you are amongst them.  The mystery of who the fiddler is and who the smugglers are is a little obvious but the story is so delightful that it just carries you along!

Both accounts are beautiful and show integrity and faith in a really beautiful family orientated way.  I wholeheartedly recommend them!

7 comments:

  1. The books sound wonderful. I'm gonna have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These books sound wonderful; you're reviews are so descriptive! The second one sounds like a bit of a Scooby Doo mystery though "The person in the monster suit must be *pulls off costume hood*... the only other character in the episode!!" Haha xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both stories sound delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! What a lovely post and really vivid and interesting reviews of both books, they sound great reads! Wishing you a lovely weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Little White Horse was one of my favourite books as a child and I still have my copy. A pity that the film version we bought on DVD was so awful then!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is one of my favourite books! I saw a movie adaptation a few years ago but I never saw the series! I bet it was brilliant. Also, I need your address again because I seem to have misplaced it! - Tasha xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:40 pm

    Those books sound very interesting, like my kind of book. I might have to head over to kindle for a download xx

    ReplyDelete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)