
Let's start with the nice- I picked up this tartan mini-dress at the same time I bough the checked-Miss Selfridge dress I wore at the Flower Festival and was pleased with it. I did feel like an extra from Neighbours or Home and Away in it! It definitely had that High school look to it! Worn with Primark pumps (bought for dancing) and vintage earrings and Wolf-moon necklace- probably not really visible!) Sophie asked about my bag. It was a gorgeous present from a handbag-obsessed TA from my school who asked if I would like it as she'd bought another satchel!
Now the not so nice. Every so often, I feel the need to have a little rant on here about something. Well, I'm not going to have an uber rant but there was a conversation between two young (newish) Teaching assistants in the staffroom at lunchtime today that really riled me. They were talking about a previous school they'd worked at and they talked about a drunk colleague trying it on with them. One remarked that there are some people that want to get up the ladder and the conversation moved onto someone who 'must have wanted to move up or something like that. They then said, "I couldn't believe it when I found out that _____ had a boyfriend because she was ugly/disgusting, had no dress sense so she must be easy, that's why he's with her" Instantly, I felt really disgusted at such shallow, horrid comment. Firstly, calling someone ugly like that and judging them negatively on their clothes (I like making positive comments about things people wear- I don't think of the opposite at all!). Just writing someone off like that. I felt compelled to say something and I said, (it wasn't my conversation by the way, I was just sitting at the table eating soup) "I'm sure she's a nice person and that's why he's with her,". To which they instantly retorted that she had no personality, she was really boring and dull and didn't say anything.
I responded saying, "She's probably the type of person that doesn't feel comfortable around certain types of people (NAMELY judgmental 'in-crowd' types like you. Didn't say it but wish I had done) and she shines with people she feels comfortable with, not with those that she feels uncomfortable around." At which point, they just totally blanked me and continued with their conversation of bitching and I just had to walk out of there and go into the toilet. I was fuming. How horrid of them! Why oh why do people have to judge based on looks. Do they not know that people have a comfort zone? I regard myself as not pretty,(I know I have a nice smile though!) and if I feel uncomfortable around 'in-crowd' types, I really find it hard to talk/ come across well and yet I shine in many other types of company. During my PGCE, my main geographical group was totally the in-crowd type and perhaps that's why I never really gelled with them, they were too concerned with being popular and excluding anyone who wasn't one of them. Perhaps people wonder how come I had such a lovely boyfriend (incidently, not easy- quite the oppposite in fact) but the thought of people sitting there being so rude and horrible about it makes me really cross. It makes me all the more glad and firmly believe that Jesus's standard of not judging by worldly standards but by trying to see the beauty and value in everyone is all the more important to try and hold to. And be sure to call me up on anything I say if you feel I am not holding to this. I am by NO means someone who doesn't say mean thing at times, I am quite sure I do, and I am sorry for and repent of those. But I do not want to conform to such worldly standards. I am quite sure that all my lovely blog friends here would never say anything as nasty as what I heard earlier and that is why I like this community, I don't experience such things here, but see kind girls who build each other up and encourage each other. And largely, that's what and who I experience in life too. I just needed to comment on something when it is so alien to what I am used to and expect.
Forgive me if you think I am over-reacting. Perhaps I am, but I did feel the need to say something, even if not directly.
*FYI, anyone not sure what I mean by 'in-crowd' I am talking about the stereotypical popular preppy-type girls, who always feel they have a gang who set the mode of what's cool and what's not and look down on others.

Let's end with something pretty. Well, where I planted my wildflowers, it appears that marigold bulbs were already there so maybe that's why they didn't grow there! The marigolds grew and are coming out in a beautiful array of orange joy! My mum makes a nice marigold moisturizer out of them so I am having to pick and save when I see they're on the out!!!
How are you anyway?x
I couldn't agree with you more. Well said! I've never fitted in to an 'in-crowd' in my life. There are small minded people in every staff room - I work with a few myself. I just don't bother with them, and don't get drawn in to their bitchiness. Imagine having to live inside their heads .... ugh!
ReplyDeleteKeep smiling!
Kathy x
I'm focusing on the good- I LOVE that dress.
ReplyDeleteSending love xo
oh I couldn't agree with your more. It's horrific behaviour to be so shallow.
ReplyDeleteSome people need to engage their brain before opening their mouth - the beauty of the internet is that you can read your words before clicking the enter button! xxx
ReplyDeleteWell done for saying something, everything they said just goes to illustrate who shallow and ignorant they are - possibly judging people by their own standards?...
ReplyDeleteAnyway love your dress and the bag? Gorgeous, it seems you do have at least one kind, generous and lovely TA working with you.
Good for you, Kezzie!! People should not be judged on their looks, but that's the way it seems to be these days. I love you outfit and the bag is amazing! Flower pic is lovely.
ReplyDeleteLiz @ Shortbread & Ginger
Well done you for speaking up. Unfortunately these people are not only in real life but on-line too; I've encountered some terrible things said to others on line, things I am very sure the person who said/typed them would never even consider a bad thing simply justified or a casual observation. I try to avoid these sorts of people in real life and on-line too. I used to go to an on-line community once and witnessed very nasty judgemental behaviour from a few people and because I wouldn't join in, I ended up having to defend my actions or lack thereof and in the process got ripped apart and that was without even writing anything!
ReplyDeleteAnyway .. I love your outfit and hope the wedding plans are going well xxx
Ugh, there are just no words for some people and their behavior! Way to stand up for what you believe!
ReplyDeleteAnd can we just talk about the cuteness of this dress?? My goodness, I am in love! I am also loving your bag, how sweet of the TA to give it to you!
There's a YouTube clip of Dustin Hoffman actually being moved to tears when he realises how he has often judged women by appearance and not personality.
ReplyDeleteLet us not judge by colour of skin, but by content of character- not by outward appearancem, but by the heart.
YOU have a good heart Kezzie! and a sweet TA too xx
wow...unbelievable. good for you for saying something. some people are so shallow, and i agree with you...if you don't have something nice to say then keep your mouth shut! also, you are beautiful...more than just a nice smile!
ReplyDeleteThere are some mean hearted people out there that cant see the good in anyone. I hope that I am never ever like that, good on your for trying to stick up for the people they were talking about.
ReplyDeleteHey,
ReplyDeleteNice post..
Would you like to follow each other..!!
Keep in touch,
www.beingbeautifulandpretty.com
I had to laugh at that spam comment above me, linking to that particular site on this post!
ReplyDeleteI'm one of the not pretty people - at school the boys used to refer to me as that ugly one, or big nose, or concord - in reference to huge nose. My school life was miserable and then life didn't get any better when I developed rosacea on my big nose and had people constantly laughing at, and judging me. I live my life constantly believing that wherever I go, people are laughing at me or making the kinds of comments your TAs were making.
Those kinds of people get to me in exactly the same way they got to you. I don' understand people can actually think like that and say things like that. Well done to for trying to say something about it. Those popular girls, I find, are quite often not that pretty themselves or they don't look pretty, with all those fake eyelashes and the make up they wear and I think they are really the ones with problems. I am lucky that I've never had to face those kinds of people in the staffroom where I work, and the people at my new school are not like that either - I hope I never have to work with people like that!
You do look very Erinsborough High in that dress! It looks good though!
Aha, the bag was from a TA with excellent taste. Lucky you! I can be a bit of a bitch myself but to have THAT kind of conversation at work is out of order.
ReplyDeleteoooh marigold moisturiser! that sounds wonderful. I hate really small minded people like those women you mentioned, such a horrible petty ignorant thing to say. I can be bitchy but I never really comment on looks. Also, they don't sound like helpful people to be around children, they might judge them in the same fashion.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, you look totally lovely in that dress, the shape is nicer than a school uniform dress and I think the ones in Neighbours were blue and white. I really like it! and another hat too! Love you in hats!