Yes, it was World Book day today! After toying with all those ideas that I shared with you, eventually I decided on Guinevere (incidently, if you are asking me which book it is, since most of my kids only knew Merlin , then it is T.H White's The once and future king, a book in the Arthurian series I chose for my GCSE English Open study!).
CBC bought me a beautiful blue cape for my birthday which was brilliant for this costume!
The dress is vintage, I believe- it was £2.50 in a local charity shop last summer. It's either 70's or an ex-theatre costume in a regency style. I decorated it with a strip of gold brocade material that's been kicking around since 2005, it was left over from some trousers I had made!
The headdress caused me major issues! I tried to make a Medieval conical hat (you know the ones I mean?) with purple sugar paper but after an hour and a half of failure, I rethought.
I saw headdresses like this one on a costume online so I decided to make one like it.
(Excuse the NASTY photo!) I took a pair of purple tights- twisted them and secure the ends in the twist shape with hair bands. Then I took more gold brocade material and wrapped them together. More hairbands to secure.
To attach it to my head, I took another black hair-band and attached white organza ribbons to it then I put the purple headdress around my head and caught the ends with the decorated headband
Finally, I plaited my in 2 and wrapped gold ribbon in a criss-cross shape around them.
The great-thing about the head-dress is that no pins or sewing was needed so I can just dismantle it and wear the tights as before etc! (does this count as my first Make a month for March?! Please reassure me!)
Did any of you or your kids dress up?!?!
The random ramblings of an eclectic eccentric who wends waywardly through a myriad of activities!
Thursday, March 01, 2012
"Merlin fancies you!"
Labels:
a monthly make,
Books,
charity shops,
children's books,
costumes,
crafts,
dresses,
ideas,
regency,
school,
vintage
9 comments:
Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You look fabulous! I'd wear that dress all the time if it were mine! x
ReplyDeleteLove it, you look gorgeous.
ReplyDeleteLove it, you look gorgeous.
ReplyDeleteYou look amazing. Your costume is so adorable.
ReplyDeletekezzie, i cannot stop giggling! you are too cute for words! you remind me of my high school best friend who stopped being my best friend because of the eating disorder. you look like her so very much! it's comforting, in a way. :) you made the perfect guinevere. my gwendolyn agrees. :D
ReplyDeleteGreat costume!
ReplyDeleteYou look great! How fun!
ReplyDeletei love this costume! you are so cute, Kezzie. your students are really lucky.
ReplyDeletemy kids dress up constantly!!! they're always wearing some costume, usually princess or something frilly. when i was a kid i used to dress up too. must be genetic :)
http://spinning-threads.blogspot.com
Just wanted to stop back by and let you know we are having a giveaway over on our blog for a personalized necklace. If you have time please stop by and enter.
ReplyDelete