Continuing from my last post, our holiday continued in Reims, City of the Kings. We stayed in an amazing restored chateau a couple of miles outside, in the midst of Champagne country called Chateau Hermonville. The house is an amazing B&B run by Sophie and Alain. They restored it to full glory after it had been left in disrepair. It has an interesting history. It was occupied during both WW1 and WW2 by German troops, so it has some secret tunnels leading from the kitchen to some outhouses in the grounds to allow for people to escape. It was wonderfully spacious, peaceful and since they have 4 rooms, it will probably always be a peaceful place to stay in. Happily for us, it is their lowest seasons so we were the only guests. The next morning, after Valentines day, we came down to breakfast in the magnificent dining room. A long table, enough for 10 people, set for just us. 
An imitation gas fire, was the only hint of modernity.Breakfast was amazing. A silver pot of tea, freshly squeezed juice and fruit salad. Croissants, yoghurt, muffins, pastries, fresh bread, cheese, brioche freshly made. It was a repast fit for a chateau!
It was so peaceful there at the chateau. Hermonville seemed a really peaceful, sleepy town- pure tranquillity!
I try to look here like I've really captured the castle!
After Sophie telling us about the grounds (1 acre I believe!), we discovered they grow their own champagne grapes, so they had their own champagne. They offered us a glass upon arrival but we both plumped for tea. Would you have?
I loved the Mr Darcy costume upon a bust by the cabinet. This hauge cabinet was full of crockery etc. Puts my messy kitchen cabinet to shame! CBC and I wished we had our Regency outfits to take the perfect photo within a suitable setting (yep, I have my own Mr Darcy. We had some regency dance lessons a while back!)
The living room was amazing, full of small details, perfect for the 18th century era. How amazing to grow up here like Sophie's children did!
The best feature for CBC and I was the authentic Pleyel piano (albeit not very well tuned!). After we'd had breakfast, we sat at the piano and played through some Mozart piano duets. They were ones he wrote for him and his sister Nannerl, they're mostly quite playable and delightfully fun so we didn't sound TOO dire when we discovered Sophie was listening! (nor did we sound good, so it was a little embarassing!). The perfect setting. We wished we were staying another day or two, as it was wonderful. I'd have loved to have gone on some walks in the area.
There were more costumes and details to admire.I quite like this shot- it makes me think of Van Eyck's The Alfini Marriage with my reflection in the mirror as proof that I was a witness to the shot!
When we first arrived, it was soooo exciting going up the stairs, wondering which room we'd be given!
We thought that these doors lead to the other wing of the house, but they turned out to be a large cupboard! Our room was second on the right!
Our room had a lovely little dressing room to the side with huge cupboards and a pretty desk!
Simple, but beautiful fittings
The room was a lovely size, after our Paris hotel which was tiny. The bathroom (not pictured) was huge!
These photos come from the website. I strongly recommend staying here. It was fairly expensive, but really special for a treat! We were so lucky to stay here as they are fully booked all through the summer season (champagne enthusiasts!). It would be a wonderful retreat say for a honeymoon or something similar if you wanted an excuse?!
The day continued with a car tour of champagne country and a visit to Moet et Chandon's cellars! More anon...Have I persuaded you. Come, stay at my castle!

What a gorgeous place! If I stayed there I think I'd stay put and claim squatter's rights! What a wonderful treat to have a night there. x
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful place to stay, I wouldnt have wanted to leave.
ReplyDeleteit looks divine! wow, I love it!
ReplyDeletethe bedroom photograph featuring you looking out of the window is absolutely stunning! i'm very appreciative of this type of architecture, as many of the homes in my local town are victorian. but i also very much appreciated the exposed brick tininess of a new york city apartment. :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a stunning place to stay x
ReplyDeletewhat a romantic vacation! i love the atmosphere. and that breakfast. delish!!!
ReplyDeletehttp://spinning-threads.blogspot.com
Wow, that place looks amazing!
ReplyDeleteDaisy Dayz
I wish I could live there, what a beautiful place! I really love all the decorations, furniture and curtains! A girl can dream, right? :)
ReplyDelete