Thursday, February 16, 2012

The slow plod of words- Chekov and Streatfield

2.  Noel Streatfield Gemma and sisters

A big Noel Streatfield fan, I've slowly acquired some of her books ovr the last couple of years! This is the sequel to a book called "Gemma" in which the daughter of film stars, who was a child star in the movies, goes to live with her cousins whilst her mum and dad go off to Hollywood. Her cousins sing and dance (one ballet, one sings in the church and school choir and the brother is a pianist) and in this book, they all develop their skills more. Gemma has issues at school and the 3 cousins and Gemma gain several more appearances with their family group, "Gemma and sisters". It's typical Noel Streatfield- stage stuff, but I quite like the fact she develops these character through 3 books! Can't wait to read the next one, "Gemma alone". Do you like Noel Streatfield. Have you read them?!

3.  Anton Chekov, The lady with the little dog and other stories.
I've had this on my shelf for absolutely ages. I bought it when I bought that Patrick Hamilton, Hangover square one (it came free with the Times I think. Thank goodness, it wasn't the Daily Mail. That would have been embarassing to have admitted I'd bought it for a book!)

This was a set of short stories all depicting the difficulties of life in Russia. Some were very strange and didn't seem to have much of a plot. But there were one or two gems. The House with the mezzanine is a beautiful story of what seems to be unrequited love. The lady with the little dog tells of an extramarital affair. How a womanizer who cares little for women, somehow falls in love with a young woman whom he meets- the lady with the little dog. Peasants told the story of real poverty. To be honest, though the description was wonderfully evocative and the feeling of desperation and misunderstanding and cheating of the different classes, I can't recall the stories specifically. One thing that did crop up lots was the Samovar! Seemed to be some sort of precursor of the urn! They'd turn the samovar on to have a good old cosy! Worth a read. I'd read the Seagull at A'level but wanted to read some more Chekov!

2 comments:

  1. nowadays I don't have time to read a whole book so I have been venturing into short stories too.

    Hope all is well my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like Streatfield. Didn't take to Gemma quite as much but Ballet Shoes is a firm favourite and I've been meaning to buy Saplings (her adult novel) from Persephone Books for ages now!

    I've tagged you in my latest post if you fancy taking part :)

    ReplyDelete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)