Sunday, April 27, 2025

At the Fruit cocktail party

 The poem I wrote during my 2nd Easter holiday week was based on using the word: "Peach.".

Actually, I'd written a poem using the word "peachy" a couple of weeks ago but I didn't have it with me. Thus, my brain on days 1 of the Pennine way was filled with trying to come up with a poem using the word. I had this idea in my mind of fruits being like 'people' or beings, being somewhat anthropomorphised,  and the idea of a Fruit Cocktail and then a Cocktail party came together.  In my mind, I started pairing/pearing (ha!) fruits with actions I might say to them or do with them.  At lunchtime, I quickly put some fruits into a memo on my phone plus potential paired rhyming words or phrases.  Later on, when walking, I asked CBC if he could think of some fruits one point, he came up with Guava, Kumquat, Fig and Greengage as unique ones I hadn't thought of. I quickly abandoned any of the -berry suffixed ones as they ended up with too many syllables to maintain a nice flow. As I walked, and I pondered on rhymes for the ones CBC had suggested, I could not, for the life of me, remember what the 4th one was.  It was a good 2 hours before both he and I remembered Greengage.

When we reached our accommodation for the night, The Forest View Walkers Inn, I typed into my Memo to come up with the poem itself.  I realised that I wanted a very rhythmic poem and the refrain line of 'At the Fruit cocktail party' rather than just being the title, came to end each stanza.

My family thought this one wasn't my finest, but I quite like the weird nature on it!

Here it is:


At the Fruit Cocktail Party:
First, say "Hiya!" to Papaya, 
Pass the time with a Lime, 
Hear a speech from a Peach
At the Fruit Cocktail Party! 

Act quite mighty with a Lychee, 
Say,   "Mañana? " to Banana, 
Eat a lot with Apricot, 
At the Fruit Cocktail Party! 

Do a Tango with a Mango, 
Dance a Jig with a Fig, 
A Foxtrot with Kumquat, 
At the Fruit Cocktail Party! 

Laugh "Tee hee!" with Kiwi
And make merry with a Cherry 
Then engage with Greengage
At the Fruit Cocktail party! 

Have a grapple with an apple, 
Then escape from a grape, 
Make a scene with Nectarine, 
At the Fruit Cocktail Party!


Now, I just need to create some little cartoons showing these fruit encounters occurring!

6 comments:

  1. What fun - but the citrus family are notoriously hard to rhyme ,
    Make a scene with a tangerine, don't start panderin' to that Mandarin, ignore the rumour about the satsusharepread by that squealer, the easy peeler) And as for the orange....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good Ang! Yes, the Citrus are not happy with rhyming!

      Delete
  2. This is fun and adding drawings would be cute! I was entertained at the thought of you trying to come up with stuff while walking and putting it into your phone notes. I've done that often with Haiku on my morning walks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's clever and fun, and it would be even better with those little cartoons! Making up those rhymes while walking was a great way to while away the time! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely poem, Kezzie.
    It seems like all the fruit is having a good time.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's hilarious, I can just imagine you and CBC racking your brains for suitable fruit! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)