As of midnight tonight, we are not allowed to go into the houses of anyone else in the area. After a really lovely impromptu Friday night visit to my Mum about 3-4 weeks ago, she'd talked about me coming over to stay the night on a Friday. Alas, it didn't happen, mainly because I was paranoid that I could inadvertently pass something onto her accidentally, but also because I was quite tired and just went home.
However, as things are changing, and I might not get to spend any time with her in the next few weeks or months, I went over there tonight.
Actually, the day has been quite a nice one.
My year 2's, whilst they weren't all up to scratch with using the correct vocabulary that I'd been teaching them (cue gentle rant- they discovered they DID know what I was talking about when I told them they needed LOOK AT THE WALL for support, clues and guidance), did well in their music lesson and my 3rd Year 1 class, did really well with their listening skills at listening to moods in music. In the afternoon, I had asked a Year 5 teacher if I could give his class an extra extended music lesson during my own PPA time because they only get a lesson half as long as the other two classes and they are behind and I wanted to wrap up their work on the Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra with all 3 classes and begin their proper Year 5 curriculum now. This is a class which contains a few of the more problematic characters from last year's horror year 4 class. Whilst they are improved, they are highly unpredictable in group work situations as they cannot bear criticism of any sort, no matter how positively, constructively or gently it is given to them to help them to improve their work. And today's task was to create their own variation on Benjamin Britten's Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra theme in small groups. I was apprehensive but it needed to be done. But would it go well on a Friday afternoon....?
Yes, it bloomin well did! Honestly, I was SO proud of them- cooperation, they listened to and carried out the task EXACTLY as I had explained they should, their timing was immaculate, the pieces were recognizable as variations on Britten's theme, they listened to all the feedback given and didn't get stroppy, accepted it, listened to each other's music and everyone felt really good about themselves. The LSA who was with me was utterly amazed by how well they did too! It was a really lovely ending to the week.
And then, I headed off from school (I asked permission from my Deputy) before the school gates opened (as it was my PPA time) to try and avoid the school crowds on public transport so I could get to my mum so she could avoid the traffic to collect me from the station.
I arrived to Mum's station at 16:17 which was brilliant timing and she drove me back to hers.
I'm still quite worried about passing anything onto her so I wore my mask pretty much all the time I was with her, except when I was drinking tea and eating.
When I arrived, she put the kettle on for the ubiquitous cup of tea and we went out to the garden so she could show me how to cut down my Cucamelons to try and keep them going over winter and did the customary examination of her garden- she still has peppers, sweet potatoes, sungold tomatoes and a few other bits growing and I enjoyed seeing her Loofah plant's one large fruit. Her lemon and satsuma trees have ripening fruit which is exciting.
We went in and exchanged items.
I decided I wanted to take her some treats in the form of useful and edible items so I had gone to Lidl opposite school and gleefully looked for things. I brought her:
A enormous butternut squash which was on special or 69p
A gargantuan Turban squash since we both hadn't had loads of success with growing them.
A bunch of loose Beetroot as she has been pickling her own homegrown ones.
A Hereford aged Sirloin steak- she enjoys one as a real treat occasionally.
A pack of Tunnock's Caramel wafer bars.
A box of Paprika smoked crispy Yellow Split pea dried snacks from the Refill Room (bought in advance)
As well as a bag of craft papers for her and my sister.
She, in return, gave me:
A historical peasant's cap, 2 handkerchiefs and 4 Lavender bags she had made out of an old ripped shirt of CBC's that I had attempted to hack into handkerchiefs
A Scented Geranium plant.
A pair of my gardening gloves and a compost sack which I'd accidentally left with her after the great Horse Manure escapade of early September.
Some old packaging with cute bee design on she thought I could make into cards.
After tea, we headed off to KFC with a cool bag to pick up a naughty dinner. The lovely older lady in there was so helpful and kind and we returned home gleefully with our naughty feast. We sat watching Pointless, chatting and enjoying each other's company at a distance. We both really enjoyed our treat.
It was SUCH a lovely time and I felt really sad that I may not get to do this again for a while. I love spending time with just me and my Mum. It's nice to go round there with CBC but I really do love and prefer 1:1 time with people in general, especially my parents. It would have been so lovely to stay round and I only wish I'd done it in the Summer holiday whilst I could and felt confident that I would not accidentally be passing on anything. (I'm pretty sure I've had Covid, back in March, but you worry about getting it again and having no obvious symptoms anyway) However, that just wasn't to be. At least I had this chance to spend a bit of time with her before the changes. I'm glad she has a bubble with my sister who lives near by her.
We had another cup of tea and then, at around 7.15pm, we left, to get my back to the station to get home. I was fairly lucky with my first train though, because it was 4mins delayed, I missed the connection at the other train station (there's a 400m walk/cycle between the stations) and had to wait 20minutes.
I got home to find CBC conked out on the sofa. He's still there now. I can hear snoring from downstairs! I've done some useful putting away and washing and now I'm off to bed.
Night, night!x
Thought the Southend area is still Tier 1? But glad you had a good teaching day and a lovely time with your mum
ReplyDeleteI'm not in the Southend district council region- I count as Essex. Am a few miles out.
DeleteAh that's bad luck. Am astonished that Southend with its high density of care homes is still low
DeleteWhat a shame you weren't able to spend more time with your mother when because of the stricter measures but at least you manage to visit her. I understand you wearing the mask even around the house with her because you're worried about passing something on- as teachers we do get into contact with a lot of children. I hope you'll be able to visit her soon. Happy to hear your students are doing well. Have a nice weekend.
ReplyDeleteWhat a delightful visit! And I love how you both enjoy plants and gardening, and doing that neat swap :) So glad you could go. We really don't have enforceable lock-downs in the US, I'm sorry to say. A big part of the population simply would not do it, and insist in going anywhere and doing anything they want. It's such an emotional burden here, to have so many who won't comply for the public health. I hope you get to see your mom again soon. Can you do facetime or some sort of video call?
ReplyDeleteIt's so worrying that we might pass something on to our parents - my mum is elderly and doesn't quite get the distancing thing all the time - so she invites people in at random and I'm always freaking out. She lives very far from me so she's in a bubble with a neighbour but I"m not sure she understands that one is all she's allowed ... very stressful. Like yourself I find it much easier to have 1:1 time with my mum. Glad all the classes went well.
ReplyDeleteLovely account. I also prefer 1:1 interactions. Thanks for sharing yours.
ReplyDeleteHow lovely that you got to spend time with your Mum. Welcome to Tier 2, we can keep each other company (at a safe distance!) xxx
ReplyDeleteI'm glad for you that you got to spend 1:1 time with your Mum on Friday. I wish I still had mine, but then again I'm glad she and my Dad were at least spared the ordeal. I don't think they would have coped very well. xxx
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely day and visit with your mum. Lucky her getting caramel wafers - I love those!
ReplyDeleteHi Kezzie, it's been a while since I visited. I'm sorry for the lack of visits. I've been spending a lot of time on Zoom and I try to limit my time on the computer.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad that you could have this lovely visit with with your beloved mother. The gift exchange sounds delightful. The world is getting to be a scary place and we can no longer take our safety and freedom for granted.
Stay safe and well.
Hugs, Julia
have a great start of the week.
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like a really lovely visit, I'm so glad you got to spend this time with your Mum. I know what you mean about 1:1 time with family members. It's nice to all get together but it's the 1:1 time that really brings people together. KFC also helps ;) (I want one now)
ReplyDeletexx