For TARDIS Tuesday this week, I thought I would share an outfit worn by my favourite current companion in Doctor Who- Yasmine Khan- AKA Yaz.
The outfit in question is worn by her in the most recent series- series 12 and in an episode called Can you Hear Me? We learn that Yaz was bullied and ran away as a teenager and a police officer is the one who helps her to know that things get better- perhaps inspiring Yaz to be a Police Officer herself.
It is very hard to find good images of the whole outfit.
Here are the ones I can find:
 |
| https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2020-02-09/doctor-who-can-you-hear-me-questions/ |
 |
| https://theultimateguidetothefashionofdoctorwho.wordpress.com/2020/02/25/yasmin-khan-can-you-hear-me/ |
 |
| https://www.tumblr.com/tagged/sonya-khan |
And these are the best screen shots I could get:
 |
Screenshots taken by me but original images owned by the BBC.
|
The outfit features:
- Blue and Indigo and white Ikat top/blouse with tie-hem. (original shop unknown and believe me, I have tried to find it!)
- Black leather jacket with lapels and quilting (All Saints)
- A blue top worn underneath
- Black or navy fitted jeans/trousers
- Trainers
- Alex Monroe Posy Loop Necklace- available here
What attracted me to this outfit was the beautiful ikat-patterned top. I recognised this pattern as ikat as it is a weaving technique used in Bali where I lived for a year. And of course, the beautiful Alex Monroe necklace that I adore!
And here's my version:
Let's start with my 'top'. As mentioned, I have searched to see if I can ID where this top is from. After all, an ikat tie-bottomed top should be easy to find, right? Wrong- I can't find it! The nearest contenders come from Joie, Toast and vintage Indian silk items!
My 'top' has a similarish Ikat look to it. Underneath, I'm wearing a blue vest top from Primark I've had for a few years. I'm wearing a George @ Asda faux-leather jacket I picked up for £2 from a charity shop and I used for various Clara Oswald outfits.
Here is the real Alex Monroe necklace (Sigh!!!! It is so pretty!!!! Featuring my beloved bees and daisies. But expensive!)
Instead of that, I wore a vintage Abalone shell loop earring on a necklace chain which I picked up from a church craft charity fair about 20 years ago.
The trousers are my black trousers that always feature in TARDIS Tuesdays which need black fitted trousers along with CBC's very comfortable trainers.
I kept saying, 'top'- didn't I?
Well, it's not a top! It's actually a maxi-dress from East!!! I was searching for an Anokhi Indian blockprint dress from East that I had admired on eBay and in the search, I saw this dress for £3 in the search list (it's not Anokhi, just East) and thought, "Hmmmm, that looks a bit Ikat... wonder if I could convert it...?"
Actually, Ang Almond is responsible for me thinking like this as she recently posted about accidentally wearing her dress backwards for church and I commented that I had done the same with several dresses but deliberately to achieve a different look! It must have stayed in my mind that very same day, when serendipitously faced with the dress.
When it arrived (£5.90 inc postage), I tried putting it on backwards so the high neck was at the front and then tied up the skirt at the front and it kind of worked.
Want to see what it really looks like?
Here it is worn backwards....
And here it is worn the correct way round!
Would you have even guessed it was a dress, let alone a Maxi dress?
What do you think?
P.S. If you can work out where the real top is from, I would love you forever! So pretty!
xxx
I wore MY blue and white dress again this weekend - this time the right way round!
ReplyDeleteThat's a fantastic substitute for that lovely top! What a bargain that dress was and such a good fit on you, too. I've no idea where that top was originally from, quite a few places did Ikat (or ikat inspired stuff a couple of years ago) although my first thought would be Monsoon.
ReplyDeleteI bought Liz (who is a beekeeper) an Alex Monroe bee cuff for her 50th birthday - expensive but we have been friends since we were 4! xxx
I thought it was a bit much fabric in front in your repro outfit, Kezzie, but now it all makes sense! How awesome that you converted this lovely dress to be a top! Well done!
ReplyDeleteWhat a fantastic idea to use that maxi dress as a substitute for that top. That Alex Monroe necklace is indeed stunning, but as usual you have found the perfect replacement! xxx
ReplyDeleteLove it. The faux-leather jacket was a steal at that price but... when I come to visit you, we'll buy you a real, proper leather jacket! Motorcyclists and their friends deserve real leather. :)
ReplyDeleteIt's fantastic as a dress both ways round, I love it! xx
ReplyDeleteI'd never have guessed that is was a dress, what a clever idea. And you get a dress to wear into the bargain :)
ReplyDeletexx
Hi grreat reading your post
ReplyDelete