This post is definitely overdue but for some reason I kept forgetting or putting up publishing or writing it. I decided during the Christmas holiday to try and take one or two pictures each day of the break and write a little about it to remember and share my holiday.
24th December:
We picked up CBC's Mum J from a station and took her to a wonderful family Italian restaurant called La Bicicletta in a place called West Horndon. It was utterly delicious and we had the entire restaurant to ourselves as everyone was out manically shopping!
In the evening, CBC and I played (with J in the congregation) for the Christingle service of a big church in a town. It was brilliant- 30 musicians in the orchestra, all willingly there and had a wonderful time playing Christmas music. I was screaming away on the piccolo even though my flute was featured in a few pieces.
Round at CBC's sister's for Christmas day after staying at the local Premiere Inn. Having fun with her 2 year old. First Christmas really ever especially as an adult with toddlers and babies.
Also watched an episode of Neighbours before we went round which featured Jim Robinson resurrected from the dead in a Christmas bauble to Paul which has kickstarted my watching Neighbours again.
Went round to my Dad's for a lovely day. This was playing a particularly nail-biting game of Monopoly where my niece's father was totally brutal in his conquering of the game. His daughter was looking traumatised at this point because she just had to cough up £900 to her Father!
We did some drawing together and this was my Christmas tree drawing.
My Christmas sale purchased arrived from Zalando! Love this Joules top!
Went to pick up CBC's Mum and take her out with us to lunch. Had a wonderful stuffed Aubergine!
We went to a town a few miles from us and discovered they have a Zerowaste shop opened up just before Christmas! I'd bought CBC a wooden soapdish, some Deodorant which comes in Cardboard and then today took my conditioner bottle along and refilled it from their big metal vat of Shampoo! Now got to stock up on lentils and herbs and rice!
Went round to my friend Lara's house to her 13th century cottage for a wonderful evening of delicious food (carrot soup made from the 4 bags of carrots I gave her a week ago left from school) and lots of delicious canapes as we played board games till 1 in the morning! So much fun and nice to spend time with friends!
Went for a walk at an Essex Wildlife trust place. Found Mr Fox!
Visited Dover Castle with our English Heritage membership (saved £44 in entrance fees!)
This was taken in the Medieval secret tunnels.
BRILLIANT place- post on it coming soon! Visited my dad on the way home.
CBC on the throne.
Went with CBC to Home Base for some DIY bits and picked up this cute wreath for next year!
Travelled to WKWTTG's flat in London for New Year's eve. Made dinner involving copious garlic and played 'Loveletters' and 'The London Game'. Stayed up ridiculously late!
After waking up hideously late after sleeping sooo well in WKWTTG's spare room, we headed in the car to Victoria Park. Saw my old PGCE placement school looking totally different and after a walk in the park, went to a lovely bistro for Brunch! Loved this veggie special!
2nd!
Experimented with roasting butternut squash seeds!
3rd
Headed over to my Mum's house on the trains/bike/trains as CBC headed off to work (smug). Went to the shops, bought sparkly wellies, ate lunch in KFC (sorry not sorry) and went home to hers. Played with Buffy who was staying for the day. She was ridiculously purry as she is in season and hasn't been spayed yet but still attacks your hands at will!
Made a 'use up the fridge and freezer dinner' involving things that had been festering in the kitchen for weeks...
5th
We made our favourite Vegan dinner- Anna Jones' Sweet potato, red lentil and spinach dhal with Coconut chutney. Cannot be beaten.
Final day of of holiday. I put together this lunch before we headed off to our first orchestra rehearsal of the year- the chives are still growing and I bought a massive bowl of tomatoes for a pound not in plastic from a greengrocers in the nearest big town the day before! Hurrah!
And that was a snapshot of my holiday!!
x

Totally love this!! And it is still officially Christmas season until the 2nd February, Candlemas day! Your Joules top is just gorgeous and will look fab on you! I love the buys from the no waste shop too. Happy Fri-yay!! Love San xx
ReplyDeleteOh good, that makes me happy! The top is reallly cute- I saw someone with it and knew it was one of those things I would like to buy new! The no waste shop is super!x
DeleteWhat a fab idea, this is a lovely post! I like the sound of the vegan dhal (but minus the chutney for me!).
ReplyDeleteThe Dhal is SOOOOOO tasty! It was the first thing CBC cooked when he turned Pescetarian! I don't really like Coconut but this chutney is amazing on the curry. It's made up of dessicated coconut (which has been soaked) with red chilli, and then black mustard seeds, cumin and curry leaves which have been lightly toasted.
DeleteIt sounds like a wonderful holiday with family and friends. The food looks so tasty.
ReplyDeleteThe no waste products are a brilliant idea. I wish more people would be as conscientious as you, me included.
I never had dhal but I've seen some youtube videos and I'm thinking that some day I will try some. I have tried some East Indian food like Samosas, Naan bread, Tandoori Chicken and Butter chicken and curries. It all taste so good.
Hugs, Julia
Lots of great food! I do like holiday food! I TRY to be conscientious but I fail on many fronts such as my absolute love of crisps which come in non-recyclable packaging!
DeleteDhal is really tasty- it is my favourite Indian dish!
I really like your drawing of a Christmas tree, the cat is such a cute touch. Seems like you had a lovely Christmas. Children always bring joy to any event, so it is good when we get to see our baby cousins, nieces, nephews and etc.
ReplyDeleteThank you! I was pleased that the cat worked out! Having to look after the children was quite stressful- I am not sure they are totally at the end when they bring total joy as such!
DeleteSounds like you had a great Christmas break. And the food looks utterly delicious. How cute are that Joules jumper and Buffy, obviously! xxx
ReplyDeleteIt was a great one! The food was lovely. I love Buffy even if she is a bit of a cow at times!
DeleteWhat a lovely holiday. Much busier than mine. I was back at work on the 3rd.
ReplyDeleteI love Mr Fox!
CBC was back at work then too! I was SOOOOOOOOOO happy I wasn't!
DeleteGlad you had such a lovely holiday with lots of interesting activities, nice food and good company. You really made the most of your free time.
ReplyDeleteI hope all is going well at work and play.
Sounds like you had a good Christmas Break, I enjoyed seeing all of your photographs.
ReplyDeleteThe stuffed Aubergine … may I have some please!
All the best Jan