Greetings on this Sunday! I hope you are well and have had a restful weekend. I would definitely not describe mine as restful but wonderfully full of music, food and good company.
You may know that I eat quite a Vegetarian diet. I am not veggie but CBC is pescetarian so we eat a lot of veggie substitutes and the odd bit of fish/seafood and then I tend to eat meat out (not always as I like veggie fare)
Today, before we headed off to our orchestra rehearsal, we needed to have a breakfast/brunch as we had woken rather late and failed to eat anything. So, I decided to make us some brunch. I whisked 4 eggs and then added too many Mixed Italian herbs to them (delicious but tipped them too deeply). To go with this, in another pan, I cut up and cooked a large tomato with some Marjoram. Whilst this was doing, I cut up an Avocado and CBC put the last two slices of rather hard Rye bread in the toaster. I WAS going to do Baked Beans but didn't get around to it. CBC then foraged in the fridge for left-overs and to it, we added some left-over Cauliflower he'd cooked with Tumeric, cumin seeds and mustard seeds and a bit of Pak Choi and we added a pile of leftover Green lentils from Dinner on Saturday night.
The result- a really colourful and healthy plate. I do like the idea of a Veggie breakfast that doesn't just have meat substitutes like Quorn sausages (and avoid the dreaded mushroom!) but that use interesting ingredients instead. Lentils are welcome on my Breakfast plate, especially if they needed to be eaten up!
I thought I'd share two more imaginative veggie breakfasts that I've had out in the last year.
This one was eaten in a place called Brentwood Kitchen and it was great, featuring NO mushrooms and instead:
Halloumi, hashbrown, baked beans, scrambled egg, avocado, vine-tomatoes, Spinach and toast. I like a little taster of lots of things, not having too much of one thing!
The second was eaten at a place called Stop the World Cafe in Leigh-on-Sea. I am gutted this is no longer available. It featured:
Tomato Salsa, Rocket, Spinach, tomatoes, Avocado, Halloumi and Hashbrowns.
What would you like to eat for breakfast if you could choose? Would you enjoy a more interesting veggie breakfast or would you prefer to go for a Standard Full English breakfast?
xx
I'm not a fan of having a veggie for breakfast but I like my oatmeal, with raisins, walnuts, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and a piece of fruit and a cup of coffee but I love veggies for the other meals of the day with either fish, seafood or a little piece of meat and some fruits too.
ReplyDeleteI love a variety of ethnic food, even the spicy ones. I love to eat.
Hugs, Julia
Take off the cauliflower and this looks delicious ;-)
ReplyDeleteI tend to avoid veggie substitutes because a lot of them are made with soy, which can play havoc with your hormones (specifically oestrogen). I'm already infertile enough thank you very much ;-)
We went to a café in Basel for brunch that had potato salad and a courgette/carrot salad thing on their buffet, along with scrambled eggs, mini pancakes, fruit, yoghurt and other things. I would never have thought to eat courgette for breakfast but I had some and it was very nice.
In response to your comment on my blog: I don't know the Emmental region very well but from what I've seen it's mainly villages/small towns surrounded by mountains. Hiking would be the main thing to do and it's definitely a beautiful area. There's also the Emmental show dairy in Affoltern where you can see cheese being made, although I've heard the Gruyère cheese factory is better. The Gruyère region is also good for hiking. But to be honest the whole of Switzerland has good hiking routes. You could probably do both the Emmental and Gruyère region in the same holiday, depending on how long you have and how much time you want to spend travelling. You could for instance stay in Bern or Fribourg and take trips out from there - Emmental is in canton Bern and Gruyère is canton Fribourg. Also depending on whether you would have a car or be taking public transport (for hiking you would probably want to use public transport anyway unless the hikes are all loops).
Yumm. I also avoid meat when I can so this breakfast is delish. Another thing I learned recently, which you mention, is to make my dishes colorful. Visual appeal makes a meal more appetizing.
ReplyDeleteIt does look quite delicious, Kezzie. Not so keen on the cauliflower, but I'm sure it could be replaced by something else. Mushrooms perhaps ;-) xxx
ReplyDeleteThese all look so delicious! xx
ReplyDeleteAll three of those plates look so colorful and healthy! I love tomatoes for breakfast but rarely eat them then. We had scrambled eggs, grits, bacon, and toast this morning. I don't do mushrooms either!
ReplyDeleteI love the English breakfast - haven't had one of those in the States, and my ideal breakfast would not have legumes or toast, but tomatoes and mushrooms are welcome. Add some British sausages or bacon, and eggs, and lots of vegetables. Also, I'd rather eat my breakfast closer to lunchtime!
ReplyDeletethese breakfast options look great to me.
ReplyDelete