Thursday, January 14, 2016

Roses are red


Imitation is not always the best form of flattery or at least a way to keep you warm!
I've long liked looks with long socks but I suspect at 34, I should not be trying these things. Anyone who tells you long socks are a way to keep warm with flesh-coloured tights is patently lying! It was freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezing with a real draft! Back to the drawing board!

However, I genuinely liked the look. I keep deciding to cull this dress, then I wear it and think, oh it looks quite nice. it shall stay! It's the material though, which to cotton-loving me, does not say either, "Cool for summer," or "Warm and cosy for Winter,". I look at it and the material doesn't appeal although the dress itself is something I very much like!

I've been a music teacher now for 7 years this term.  It's funny that though I have lessons that I've taught many times, they never remain the same, I'm always evolving them, improving, adapting to the new curriculum, gaining a new perspective, making new links, exploring new vocabulary and the suchlike and I really like that I can do things the same BUT that I am always changing and evaluating.  Like today's first lesson of the new unit on Pentatonic music for year 4 which has evolved from an initial 5 week unit for Year 4 which I put together about 4 years ago, which has evolved into a longer 10 week programme. We were exploring a beautiful song I learnt during my LSO training course and I was able to make so many links to our previous unit on drones, teach them new vocabulary and re-explore old vocabulary in different contexts. My classes, both of which were very difficult, in the past, really responded well to it and I could firmly say that everyone in the class was able to achieve on several levels and understand- it's a delight to see that even some of those that struggle engaged and managed so well. It's these moments that we live for, those roses that bloom and blossom for us and give us joy! I often know those lessons where children want to hang around and talk to me afterwards despite the fact it is their lunch/play,they want to share something musical from their outside life.

Outfit details:
Dress,belt and socks: Primark old.
Wedges- Clarks
Cardigan- George kids.
Velvet beret- Kangol via Charity shop




22 comments:

  1. I hear you on the whole "draft" issue. I've tried the same idea but with thigh high boots and a skirt with tights...COLD! Especially since the temperature has dipped well below zero as of late. Even with fleece lined tights I'm still a wimp.

    I can see why you are having a hard time getting rid of this dress. It is adorable! Especially with the beret and bow belt. "Inbetween" fabric is tricky though.

    Your job sounds very fulfilling. You are lucky to have been able to discover and follow your bliss.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. You keep looking younger... especially in the last photo. You even have that young girl look so you could get away with wearing long socks if it was warmer. I love that dress and would wear it myself if it was longer but then, I'm short and it might fit me. lol...

    Hugs,
    JB

    Music must be your calling because you come alive with it. What a gift.

    The

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're never too old for long socks (or anything!) I say! :D x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life just keeps on changing even though we try to keep it the same. That's what makes it all so interesting. This is the SWEETEST dress. I love how you've styled it. Hey. If you're cute, you're cute. No use trying to fight it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good teacher! Don't be cold, Kezzie! Bundle up. Long socks are cute! You're still young. Go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is wonderful to read the joy you have in your chosen profession. You have such an opportunity there and it sure sounds like you are making the most of it, and making a real difference too. Bravo! And double bravo for that gorgeous outfit. The dress is so pretty and a very flattering fit up top. I think the hat and socks pair so perfectly and there is certainly nothing out of place about you in those socks. They plus the dress make a wonderful frame for your beautiful thighs. Very nice to see them off season like that. Sorry it gave you the brrrr's but it sure was a joy for me to see! Another fantastic night for me :) Happy Friday, dear, and stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look so pretty! I would go with thick tights rather than long socks though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your outfit is gorgeous - you're so good at the styling. I have a flowery dress in what is probably the same fabric and can never find the right season to wear it but can't bear to part with it either! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look so pretty, a French chic style. The dress is lovely, I love the print.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a lovely outfit, it really suits you.
    How lovely to know that you're inspiring young minds, and building on your own experience as a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always love a floral print, especially when spring is on its way, and your dress is so pretty!!
    I think that teaching is a never boring job and am sure that your pupils love you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a cute dress! I know what you mean about that awful Primark polyester fabric, it's not great in any season really. They used to use much nicer dress fabric but in the past few years quality has gone downhill and somehow the prices have risen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a sweet outfit I love the rose pattern. I think you were very adventurous wearing long socks in this colder weather!
    I always love reading your posts about your teaching, I think how luck those children are to be receiving such varied and interesting lessons from someone who is so passionate about what they do.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  14. beautiful dress! It's definitely a keeper :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I used to have that dress too, I wore it all the time at school- usually with geek chic Primark shoes! Ah, the village school is lovely but I'm still in year 6- i'm doing intervention teaching in the morning and whole class teaching in the afternoon! I'm enjoying it though, thanks for asking :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh isn't it so difficult when you love the print and cut but the material leaves you cold! You then get that push pull - shall I shan't I! It is a beautiful print though.

    http://petitesilvervixen.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kezzie do keep the dress - you look cute as a button, especially with those socks. There's a saying about the Policemen looking younger as you get older, and I have to say that you really don't look old enough to be a teacher, never mind one who's been teaching for seven years! It's great to read of your enthusiasm for the job and how you clearly pass that on to your pupils. Hurrah for guiding lights like you x
    Anna
    Anna's Island Style

    ReplyDelete
  18. I know what you mean about THOSE fabrics! Can you use it for a pattern for a dress made out of better fabric?
    The draft aspect can be helped with bloomers/knickerbockers/pettipants or knee length woollen tights. It depends how much cold you feel in your knees!
    Sounds like your lesson went really well!
    Xo Jazzy Jack

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm sure that you're an amazing teacher Kezzie! it is great that you have such passion for your work. It is true that every lesson is different, no matter how many times we have taught it...and no matter how much time we invested in the lesson plan, actual lesson is always something that is created with the assistance of students themselves.

    You look stunning in that dress! Love the boots as well!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your rose print Primark dress is beautiful and you you fabulous wearing it! I love how the dress looks styled with your long socks and velvet beret. 34 is a wonderful age to be - I'd love to be that age again! I hope you have a fashion-tastic year and discover more interesting and delightful music (or get to re-visit music you love - I love Pachelbel's Cannon performed by string sections or string quartets myself). Thank you so much for both of your lovely comments on my two most recent posts!

    http://www.full-brief-panties.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think it looks really cute - and you're never too old to wear what you want! :)

    ReplyDelete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)