
Oh the joy of scheduled posts! I've had a stonking headache for about 3 days so it's a relief to feel marginally clear of it! As you may or may not know, it was World Book Day on Thursday and thanks to my advance pressuring of the Headteacher and Literacy Coordinator, we dressed up again for it. The premise was that the children should dress up as a favourite or well-known book character. I'd had the idea for my costume two years ago whilst watching Dogtanian dvds with CBC and decided I wanted to be a musketeer. Aramis actually, but for the sake of people knowing, I said I was D'Artagnan, I do like costumes which are combinations of items you have already or something you've made that isn't just a one-hit wonder.
![]() |
| And now you know why I always smile in photos- otherwise I definitely have bitchy resting face. Admittedly, I was trying to look like I was fighting a duel as this was taken. |

- 1969 navy floppy hat: My Mum bought this in Piccadilly from a really nice hat shop. I acquired it some years ago.
- White plumed ostrich feather: I bought this in Hobbycraft last week for £2.20. Add it to the hat.
- Steal your husband's white reproduction regency shirt he bought from the Vintage shirt Co some five years ago. Yes, ladies, my husband is willing to be Mr Darcy for costume parties!
- Add a white crocheted collar you bought from the Asos sale about 5 years ago.
- Put on the blue cape your husband bought you and undo the side buttons.
- Belt it with your Mum's vintage leather belt.
- Don brown leggings under the long regency shirt. (Just realised I could totally dress as Wendy or Michael from Peter Pan with this next time)
- Add long knee high boots. Brown in this case.
- Finally, despair at midnight the night before, that you have no sword. Find large cardboard box and google musketeer sword pictures. Draw something similar onto cardboard box. Cut out with craft knife and scissors. Cover in kitchen foil and PVA. Wonder why it is so floppy. Wish you had reinforced it.

I chickened out of drawing on an eyeliner moustache onto my upper lip- I have a mild-phobia of drawing on skin. Thanks to Picmonkey for the addition,
I dressed like this and walked the mile to the station. I nonchalantly waited with commuters who stared at me wondering what on earth I was wearing. I got on the train and changed trains and didn't bat an eyelid and finally walked the half mile to school. Apparently, the husband of someone spotted me walking down the road. Mwa ha, love freaking out commuters!
There was a good effort made by most of the staff. One of my colleagues borrowed my 1970's does Regency dress and a bonnet and did Elizabeth Bennett and very pretty she looked too! There was Carrie from Carrie's War(Nina Bawden), the Park keeper, Mr Bump (my colleague adopted my idea!), Robin Hoods, Mary Poppins', Demon Headmaster and more. The kids made a great effort, one of the kids told me she was using my idea and dressing up as Matilda and another did the Ancient Greek goddess. There were several Elsas (Miss there's a Frozen book) and a few tenuous ones but otherwise it was great fun!!!
Linking to Creative Mondays with Claire Justine. And Hat Attack with StyleCrone
xxx

And so handsome you look. Dressing up gives you some boldness and I can see you were totally enjoying turning heads. Love the moustache.
ReplyDeleteKeep on having fun. I love to see what you come up with next.
Soon, you'll need a whole room just for your cloths and props.
Have a great fun weekend Kezzie.
Hugs,
JB
I'd love to see some other costumes.
Thanks Julia, you are right, it does give you boldness, playing a part! I can't wait for next year! dress up days don't come often enough like this one!
DeleteYou can see some other costumes if you hit the 'costumes' tab!x
Fab costume. I SO missed being in school for WBD this year. I love recycling costumes - my white cotton kneelength nightie with huge frilled collar and cuffs has been a pirate, Carmen Miranda, general purpose regency, victorian maiden etc etc. And my floppy brimmed hat gets worn as is, or pinned up as a tricorn, or Nelson's hat, or Wellington's titfer...btw Poundshops are a good cheap source of pirate swords.
ReplyDeleteHa, you've given me an idea! Oooh, that's a great idea to pin a floppy hat! Did you and Bob manage to wear more hats this winter by the way?x
DeleteYou look great, that's a fabulous costume, especially the wonderful hat and homemade sword! I have to say that as a parent, dress up days are a bit of a headache (sorry about yours, btw). Like you, I want to do it for little or no expense, and it always proves a test of my ingenuity rather than something the kids can do for themselves. But we managed to cobble two outfits together; Lee Scoresby, the cool Texan aeronaut from the Dark Materials trilogy (Owen is on the final book now) and Hermione Granger, with a homemade cape. No Christian Greys at our school, thankfully... xxx
ReplyDeleteThanks! yes, I totally agree, they must be a bit of a headache, but it's nice when you can make something fairly simply!x
DeleteKs1 dressed up at our school but not ks2. My class were out at Cadbury world on Thurs so we did it on Friday instead.
ReplyDeleteHaha the frozen costumes, I had several Minecraft books brought in. I suppose at least it is a book.
You do not have a bitchy resting face, you look lovely!
Ah, that was a shame it was only KS1!
DeleteAh, the RBF! I have an entire class of them which is why I always ever teach staring into the middle distance and never making eye contact.
ReplyDeleteYou look smashing! The cape really is the piece de resistance. We don't celebrate WBD here in the states which begs the question: does the U.S. not consider itself part of the world? Or are we just illiterate? 😒
Oh no, that is why I don't teach teenagers! Ha, silly U.S!x
DeleteI *love* this! Such a good idea and so well executed. It must have been fun to walk by ordinary people. In New York, people in costume are everywhere and you never know why.
ReplyDeleteThanks! Ha, I'd love to see that in NYC!x
DeleteYou're funny! Way to go!
ReplyDeleteI think you were very brave to walk to the station in full costume......! I hope that you're having a great weekend. Jx
ReplyDeleteThanks! More necessity! Plus I do love freaking out the commuters!x
DeleteThat's a great costume - I wish I could come up with things like that! I've been watching Dogtanian over the last few weeks and I love The Musketeers! We did WBD at my new school but I don't know why they bothered... most staff didn't dress up and there weren't any special WBD lessons or assemblies or anything. The children just came in whatever costumes they had at they are from very deprived families and don't read anyway! It was so different to my previous WBD experiences, it just left me feeling a bit down about where I've ended up working!
ReplyDeleteAH Dogtanian, so good!!! Yes, it seems where there is deprivation, the imagination is somewhat harder to think of costume ideas out of what one has if one doesn't have much! Don't feel down! You are doing great good being where you are.xx
DeleteHaha brilliant! Very well thought out and put together and yes, I love costumes made up of 'everyday' things. I always smile in photos for that reason too! I've been scheduling a lot of posts this week, something I rarely do, but it's rather handy to have them all set up and ready to go.
ReplyDeleteHa, yes, I am not the only one!!!! x
DeleteHehe Kezzie this is a brilliant costume, love it!! My daughter dressed as Where's Wally, you will have to stop by and see my Silent Sunday picture maybe tomorrow? Have a lovely weekend x
ReplyDeleteThanks! I loved hers!x
DeleteHave at thee!!! oh wait, try this En Garde!!! Someone probably already said that...hmmmm...put 'em up? No, that's not right. Let me think of it and I will get back to you. A very dashing mosquito you make indeed, dear. See, that looks like an auto-correct funny but that is the actual translation of muskateer....ummmm....well, it could be, right? In any case, a swashbuckling sweetie with a lovely resting face and a very cool sword. Of course the leggings were wonderful for me. Too long since we saw those gorgeous legs and I was very ready :) OK, I have finally remembered the appropriate phrase for this costume....Avengers Assemble! :) xoxo
ReplyDeleteNope, you were the first to say it. Really so leggings are your thing too? It must just me a leg thing. What are your opinions on skinny jeans then?
DeleteDressing up is so funny and going to school like that it's even better! Ahh, I should have been a teacher! Love the outfit and the ideas, so clever.
ReplyDeleteYes, I do love the dress up element of teaching little ones!x
DeleteGreat idea. I'm glad so many of you got into the spirit of the event. You make a marvelous musketeer. En garde! And I'm amazed how you were able to put this together mostly with things you already had. Hee hee, must give the neighbours something to talk about...well done.
ReplyDeleteI often wonder what the neighbours think of us! We live in a block of 4 in our Cul de sac! Thanks x
Deletehaha love it! x
ReplyDeleteI was very happywith my attempt!
DeleteFantastic! You look wonderful.
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately for S she vomited Wed night and so had to miss dress up day this year!
Lisa x
That's a fabulous outfit, you need to wear it more often!
ReplyDeleteHow mental that some people didn't even bat an eyelid at your fabulous attire. I'd have introduced myself and demanded we become friends! xxx
That's a great 'stache you're sporting!
ReplyDeleteExcellent costume (and I now have the Dogtanian theme tune in my head). I think if I'd been wearing that costume and someone had asked me on the way to work, I would've been sorely tempted to reply "no, I always dress like this" :-) xx
ReplyDeleteGreat costume, I went in something similar to a fancy dress do years ago, but I treated myself to a proper musketeer type hat from the fancy dress shop!
ReplyDeleteFantastic costume- you look ruddy brilliant! FINALLY catching up on Bloglovin' feed. This lack-of-internet thing is just exhausting. xxx
ReplyDelete