Saturday, May 24, 2014

Pink panther ponderings

Pink tights

Here we have pink. I quite like pink in small doses when it's not Calpol-shade! I've always wondered where this black Peter-pan collared dress came from originally as it had had its tags removed in the charity shop except for the Size 8 label which was small and purple. Enought said- I wrote more but lost the post and now I can't remember what.

Really pleased with myself that I managed to compose a whole new piece for our school orchestra in one evening, that sounds quite good!!! Hope it works as we only have a few weeks after the holiday to learn it!!! It's a Habanera- which is a Spanish dance (think Carmen L'amour and there you have a Habanera) and it will go nicely with the Tango and Cha-cha which we are already playing this half-term.  I have two girls on Bass Xylophone who have a really tricky, funky bass-line part and they are so dedicated.  I told them they could come into practice if they wanted and they were in every lunchtime for a week practising with themselves and another girl who plays recorder in orchestra and they had it perfect by the next rehearsal. I wish everyone practised that much.  We're losing virtually our whole orchestra this year- most of them are in Year 6, so not sure how it will work next year! It's been the nicest year we've had in many years- the majority are really keen, good at what they do, and always turn up and it's shown in their performances.  I do worry about some of my kids when they go to secondary school. I really hope there will be music-ensemble opportunities for them. My recorder players are really keen to continue but I know many secondary schools don't do recorder-based things (there's a lot of snobbery over the recorder but as an ardent-player I am always keen to refute that. I represented our whole local music festival on the recorder at the Leeds Millennium festival, so it can't be that bad if they chose me on the recorder over piano players and clarinetists etc...) and I know that the closest secondary school (our catchment), doesn't really do much music outside of class, or at least that's what some of the past pupils who are there, tell me.  Wondering if perhaps I should try and hold a once-a-half-term recorder reunion for any children who are at secondary school but would like to do something.  It could just one Tuesday that I don't have a meeting on. I don't know- what do you think?

Hope all is well with you and when I get back from my canal-trip, I must remember to pick my giveaway winner!xx

11 comments:

  1. I think you look adorable in your outfit and that you should have that recorder meeting. I am one of those guilty of hating the recorder, but really what I hate is how it is taught to the young children. As a Primary teacher and a parent I have had my share of recorder squawking but if I think of lovely renaissance music surely there are recorders or something like them featured there. I once taught at a school where we had marimba instruments and some drums. which was so much more pleasant a performance than Twinkle Twinkle Little Star on thirty recorders. I am imagining that someone with your talent and creativity could do something better for the children and their recorders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The recorder is good to teach as they are relatively cheap to buy, portable and something the child can keep. My method is, i teach them the recorder for one year, when they are 7-8 because they are just about big enough to cover the holes without too much struggle. At the end of the year, they will have learnt the discipline of learning and practising one instrument, learnt to read music, have the pride of working on one thing and then they can eitger never play it again OR they have 3 years left with me to advance by joining a lunchtime recorder club. It makes it special. My area has a special annual recorder festival. In every other yesr we learn on metallophones and xylophines, African drums etc. There are many funky resources for teaching the recorder nowadays. Don't get me wrong-it is not at all easy to teach-it is painful, ugly and downright annoying at times but it is good prep for them learning the cornet in tge next school year which they do with out local music school. X

      Delete
  2. Have a lovely trip! I love a bit of Calpol pink. I also used to love Calpol so much as a youngster that I used to FAKE illnesses just so I could have some! We didn't really have much sugar in my house when I was growing up; so I guess I just wanted to get hold of any sweet things I could :p xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the recorder, I almost forgot my time with it as a boy. I was halfway OK I think but, yes, certainly a stigma with this instrument as a young person's tool. Now I only see it as a sight gag on Big Bang Theory when Sheldon plays it now and again. Such a soothing tone it has though.

    And your outfit, totally adore it. Cute little sweater and those tights are a wonderful surprise to encounter, so amazing for me to see that bright color. That is my 7th favorite shade of tights and you look superb in them!

    Happy weekend to you!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. If only all teachers were as dedicated as you, I'm sure the world would be a better place. You are so kind and generous and absolutely gorgeous in your pink tights. Hope you had a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fab frock and fun poses! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice pics :-) I played the recorder back in the day, it's a good instrument, and doesn't deserve the snobbery surrounding it x

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look gorgeous in that cute dress with the splashes of pink.
    Your school is so lucky to have you as a full-time dedicated music teacher, ours doesn't have such a post and it's a real gap in the kids' experience. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely outfit love the pink with the black x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for pointing out the error of our double choice! We have changed next week's picture. Mondays off will do this to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how bright your tights are! I am always too afraid to wear coloured tights, but they always look so good on everyone else, i may just have to try it! I love how bold this outfit is!

    Take care!

    ~ Tirzah Grace

    ReplyDelete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)