Monday, May 19, 2014

Of drums, books and leather handbags

I always love seeing what people have found in charity-shops on their blogs! It's like watching the return of an expedition, or an archaeological dig or seeing treasure being found! Either way, it's a type of post I really like reading, so always drop me a line if you've done one!

I found one or two items recently which I was very pleased at and thought I'd share. Actually, some were from the Easter holidays and others from before half term, so I'm not very current. But anyway that's the craic and I'll continue...

So, I was walking very quickly to Primark to go and grab something (a hat as a present for someone) after school one day and I happened to pass a St Francis Hospice charity shop where I spied 3 djembes in the window!!! I tried to get in the shop and was told they were closing. But when I asked if I could reserve the 3 drums, she let me in and I got the set for £10, I think.  They were for school since as well as teaching my after school drumming club I also do a half term with Year 5 on cyclic drumming and I never have enough djembe-type drums for the whole class (I am lucky as I have 21 now- 24 with these three. I've built it up from nothing over the last 3 years), so any extras are an advantage.  I've bought a fair few instruments for school in charity shops or in music shop sales since I've been a teacher but never claimed for them as I kept thinking I'd prefer to own them and use them at school then if I ever leave (you know, it happens), then I will have some instruments ready for my new school as I know most schools are not blessed with the resources I have and the thought of having hardly any instruments does not bear thinking about!  In the past, I found drum sticks, a brand new orchestral cymbal, a miscellaneous drum, a glockenspiel and beaters in charity shops and I bought about 20 castanets and a triangle in a Newcastle music shop! Good thing too as we only had 8 castanets at school originally!

Djembes
 That's a mnemonic for remembering the start and stop signal for trad African drumming!

Hardy boys books

In the Easter hols, I was in Northumberland and CBC went to do something or other which meant I had an unattended 30 mins to run round the Hexham charity shops.  I came back with 8 Hardy Boys books which were 25p each.  I was really excited about these as I read only about 4 Hardy Boy books as a child/teen and adored them. They were a boy version of Nancy Drew (which I read many many of) and I've always loved formulaic writing!  In the meantime, I've read them all and enjoyed muchly.  Really, I should pass them on, but I like them too much!

Finally, I found this either Leather handbag or very convincing Fake leather handbag in the Hexham hospice charity shop for a modest £3 which I was pleased about as it is immaculate and a good size with very handy size pockets and inside bits as well as a cunning chain to attach keys to. I looked at their website and handbags of this size start at about 80 euros so that's quite good! Unless it is a fake of course?!??!
Abbacino handbag

Abbacino handbag

Alas, if only I'd bought the two amazing vintage hats in Oxfam I'd tried on - but I had to walk round Borough Market all day and I didn't want to have to traipse around with large bags!


xxxx

17 comments:

  1. Handbags not really my area of expertise, but the drums look good! I love finding old books in charity shops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say both are pretty darn good finds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi my dear! Good on you for getting the drums what a bargain!! Your bag is a gorgeous find and looks real to me, that's a gem too well done!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What brilliant finds you've had over the years! So many drums too. I've never seen such things in any I've visited, you must have eagle eyes :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love seeing other people's chazza finds, too. We all have different taste so its a constant source of fascination to me about what people pick up and get excited by. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your idea of buying your own things to lend to the school. What a lot of great bargains.

    Apart from a dress and a pair of pillowcases my recent chazza bargains have been quite scarce.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely finds - I miss charity shops here in France - they're nowhere near as prolific as in the UK.
    Just a (cynical) word of warning: when I left teaching there was some "discussion" about what I had bought for use in school, and what was actually school's...I don't know how you can "prove" that these are indeed your instruments on loan to the school where you are and not the school's property...but be aware that at a later date it may be forgotten that you paid for them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sadly I agree with A's comment above - I have been having similar issues with the guides, and things I've bought but not claimed for from them. Trying to get these things back to use with my other units has been nigh on impossible now things have turned so sour and as I wasn't planning to claim, I don't have the receipts etc.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the handbag! And my kids would love you as a teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Kezzie! Surely you know that my email can take some time :) at least I'm honest, but by now you know I'm hectic all over places! I loooved the £3 bag, wooow! Against £80 originally! That is a super purchase! And the drums... I have one at home, as decoration - but from time to time I try to play a bit. It's always so nice to know what you are doing and the stories you tell! Well, I'll be in England either next week or on June 5th. Any concert? I leave on June 15th, and would love to see you before! March trip Part II

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like to see what other people have found in the charity shops too. The drums are great, and that's a real classic go-with-everything bag, not to mention a total bargain! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely bag. I loved the Hardy Boys books when I was younger- like a slightly more sophisticated Scooby Doo (with fewer mummy costumes). You've certainly found an impressive number of instruments over the years! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's amazing to see these bargains you've found. The bag is fabulous and I can see it'd be extremely versatile. The drums are the best. Not only do they look cool they sure have a fancy name too. I love to hear about your school activities.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That handbag is an amazing bargain x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow I love looking at everyone's bargains too :) I got some little bargains this week but I am always behind so I'm guessing 3 weeks before the get on the blog, hehe,,

    Love your bag, whoop bargain :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I found a book today by an author I've just discovered (can't remember the name but it's the author of Gone Girl) I'm so excited I want to start reading it now! I love seeing what others find, you've got some great things here, the bag is amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)