Friday night, my ears suddenly went strange. My right ear blocked and wouldn't clear and felt like something was stuck. It gradually developed a whooshing sound that became a booming. It got worse so I went to bed. In the middle of the night it was really loud and kept getting worse and vibrating when I spoke, heard any sounds and then added a high-pitched whine.
I completely panicked and it woke up CBC who comforted me and looked things up.
When I woke up in the morning, it was no better. As it came from nowhere, I was worried. Worried because it was a bank holiday weekend and I'm away in Suffolk. Worried because my ears are super important to my job and life.
My relatives suggested I call 111 to check it out as I was so distressed. After speaking to the line, a clinician, I was given an appointment in Eye, 6 miles from where we were. I saw a GP who told me that she could see a perforation in my ear drum though it didn't have dried blood round it so she asked if it was there already. I didn't know of anything. She gave a prescription for 7 days of antibiotics. We travelled to Diss in Norfolk to collect it. I started taking them.
I felt miserable and disconnected with the strange blocked feeling and booming but we had a lovely meal out in the evening after a calm day.
This morning, I woke up and the ear problem had subsided.
I feel rather silly and dramatic for panicking so much, since it is already doing so well, but so, so grateful for the NHS care I received, away from home too. I will continue taking my antibiotics and be careful.
Thought I'd share my photos in case you needed a bit of hope today....



Glad ear is responding to treatment. What a timely rainbow 🌈
ReplyDeleteI'm glad the ear is responding to treatment. 111 is such a great service. Its only natural to panic when things are't right. Thank goodness for the NHS!
ReplyDeleteLovely photos and I hope your weekend is brilliant now you're feeling better! xxx
Phew, I'm so glad the ear problem has subsided. I can totally imagine how panicked you were, particularly as a musician. Incidentally, I can relate to the problem, as I suffered something similar last week. Only in my case I knew what had caused the blocked ear/wooshing sound, which was a sudden, extremely loud noise which happened when I walked past a building site. Also, the situation had thankfully cleared up by morning.
ReplyDeleteKeeping my fingers crossed all will be well soon.
Thank you for sharing the rainbow! xxx
I am glad it is on the mend, I have had a little trouble with my ears recently and I too am grateful to the NHS for sorting it. You did so well to get it sorted while you were away too! Thank you for the double rainbow, maybe it helped calm you after a traumatic time? x
ReplyDeleteI can understand why you were concerned! The gorgeous (double!) rainbow appeared at the perfect time for you.
ReplyDeleteOh, that would be scary for sure! It's so good to have a doctor available to check with. I am glad the inflammation or whatever it is has calmed down. Those rainbows were a treatment to soothe your inflamed nerves!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad that your hearing problem is subsiding. It certainly was something to be concerned about. You must be so thankful for being on the mend and so thankful for being able to hear sounds.
ReplyDeleteBe well.
Hugs, Julia
Take care. Ear infections sometimes come back. Make sure to have a check up once you drink all the antibiotics. The rainbow is beautiful.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear that you got seen so quickly and given appropriate treatment. It's good that it's getting better already. I've had difficulties with my ears/hearing in the last year or so and it's very worrying.
ReplyDeleteThank you for leaving a kind comment on my blog post today. I hope your ear problem is getting better. Health issues like that are a concern so I'm glad you got to see a medical professional and got treatment. All the best for the new school term commitments.
ReplyDelete