Tuesday, August 08, 2023

TARDIS Tuesday- Ace McShane from Survival

Hi there!

TARDIS Tuesday is back! Well, it's Tuesday, isn't it?!

Today, I am featuring a Classic Who companion who recently made a reappearance in The Power of the Doctor.  ACE! She was my companion as a child and back in the 1990's, my sister bought me a black bomber jacket which I adorned with my Blue Peter badge and a few other pins to be like her!  I met her in 1998 at the one and only Doctor Who Convention I went to- Panopticon 1998 which was held in Coventry. I booked myself a coach to Coventry and went by myself.  I met Sophie Aldred, the actor who played her, she admired my turquoise nail varnish!


The outfit I am featuring is from her final on-screen episode with Sylvester McCoy, the last episode before Doctor Who went off the TV for another 18 years or so.
Image borrowed from:
https://bradleybasement.wordpress.com/sci-fi/doctor-who/doctor-who-timelines/the-doctors-timelines-index/the-seventh-doctors-timeline/survival-tv/


It features her ubiquitous black bomber jacket, adorned with patches and pins and the back has an applique patch of her nickname, Ace.  She wears a dark pink v neck top, black trousers and boots, a school tie round her waist, dangly earrings and her hair worn with the sides up.


And over to my version:

I started with a pink top. Admittedly the wrong colour and material but I was going with what I had. I did have better coloured tops but this one is a more similar shape. It's my top from my Peri, Attack of the Cyberman, cosplay.
It's the black ASOS trousers that are my most hardworking TARDIS Tuesday item (getting very tight!) - they need no other introduction.  Clarks men's boots. I wore a pair of dangly dalek earrings which I embarassingly found the other day. My work colleague Tracy bought them for me for my 40th birthday and the Etsy seller sent them but somehow I didn't realise that this envelope hadn't ever been opened- I thought it was an old one and I was going through some old envelopes, which I keep to reuse, and there they were!!!
I didn't have a stripy tie. I thought I had one but I couldn't find it so I admit it, I was taking some stuff round to the charity shop and I found this one for 50p and thought I'd buy it to add to this outfit when I wore it on Friday!
My black bomber jacket was bought around a year ago from the same charity shop and cost me the princely sum of £2.25.  Well, it recently had a makeover from the wonderful Ang!!!!

Didn't she do an amazing job making this applique patch for the back of it! Even better, she used materials from her great stash! She has made me some amazing custom cosplay pieces over the years but this one is one of her finest! I love it!

I don't really want to add lots of patches and pins to the jacket because I like it plain, and also it becomes an extremely costly endeavour. I'd be worried I'd lose pins and I want to be able to wear it regularly, though I may try and afix a new pin back to my Blue Peter competition winner's badge so I can add that. Yes, I legitimately have a Blue Peter badge. I enterered a competition to design a new character for Oscar's Orchestra and whilst I didn't win, my characters earnt me the position of one of 100 runners up out of 28,900 entries!  Much as I would have liked my characters, Frederica Flugal Horn and Cassius the Contrabassoon to appear in the cartoon, I was still incredibly proud of my badge!

I love wearing my hair like this, particularly when it is this length but I can't always wear it like this when cycling and I only do my hair at the start of the day, not through the day, ending up looking like I've been through a hedge backwards, so there's no chance of me redoing my hair at school!

I really like this outfit and if I had a slightly less tight pair of trousers (I HAVE SOME SOMEWHERE!!!), I would really enjoy wearing this!

What do you think?

Big thank to Ang for another brilliant TARDIS Tuesday collaboration!!! And, do go and check out her hilarious blog post today about lozenges which I prompted!

xx

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad the jacket looks so good! I hope you are having a well earned break this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! I always enjoy seeing what you come up with. Creativity is a muscle that gets stronger with use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:33 pm

    Ang did another fantastic job with the bomber jacket, and I really love your hair like that! Can't believe you only found those earrings now ... imagine you hadn't kept that envelope! It's Ann/Polyester Princess by the way, I couldn't log in properly on my phone

    ReplyDelete
  4. That jacket is fab, well done, Ang! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the tie used as a belt. You rock!

    ReplyDelete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)