Friday, February 05, 2021

The incident of the Cheese thief

 Hola mes Amigos! I hope you have had a good day.  My day of school work was fine but I am SO glad I stayed up (till 2.....ahrghj!) to get the year 6 lesson completed and to make a start on the year 3 one as I  only got the last lesson up at 12.45pm when the children are supposed to do them from 1pm! Phew! 

I've been a bit proactive with asking the teachers to nag their kids to do SOME music work and I have had a few pieces from a few new faces but I am cross I'm spending so long on it and some are doing nothing.  One parent told me today that they couldn't download the lesson but you view the link on the googledrive and it does work. I do think some are making up excuses- the annoying thing was, this was a 20minute video which the child sings and dances to and there was absolutely nothing they had to do or provide for the lesson, just let the child take part in it.  Nothing written. Humph!

Last Saturday, I'd wrapped up an epic parcel of clothes for one of my German cosplayer friends (she'd ordered 5 items from UK sellers including some knee high boots) but some sellers wouldn't ship to Germany and there was uncertainty about whether parcels would get through in Jan because of Brexit so I've been sitting on the items for a while. I'd somehow done all my weighing wrong (on a tiny set of kitchen digital scales- I tell you, trying to weigh large jumpers and floppy suede knee high boots on them was no mean feat!) and thought the parcel weighed less than 2kg (maximum size for Royal Mail international).  I'd wrapped it firmly in parcel tape and when I got to the post office, discovered it weighted 2.45kg!  Ahrgh!!! So it was only today after finishing school work for the day (mercifully by 4.20pm!) that I got around to unpacking and repacking 2 parcels.  I carefully unpicked the long streams of parcel tape and stretched them out from the piano stool to the footstool in a complicated spider's web and then found some old parcel mailers, reweighed each separate item (this time, the weighing was accurate- bizarre, eh!) and worked out the best combination of items in each parcel then repacked, reusing the same parcel tape plus a little extra, relabelled them, quickly packed up another parcel I had been intending to send and cycled to the post office at around 5.15pm. It felt really good to cycle and have the wind in my face. I just made it to the Post Office counter before it shut, got the 3 parcels posted and then headed out (totally deserted- no queues!). I was roasting hot though so took off one of my coats (I've been wearing my charity shopped down jacket under my scraggy khaki parka) and stuffed it in my pannier.  I decided to pay a speculative visit to the Madeiran restaurant in town to see if I could get some olives. Again, deserted of course, it being too early for their delivery of meals to begin and too late for lunch orders. They obliged and I got a foil tray of about 30 delicious garlickly marinated olives for £2 which I stuffed in my pannier and cycled back through town home.  When I was cycling down my road, enjoying the cool air on my face, I decided to cycle round the housing estate for few times just for a bit more exercise- I really enjoyed it. It was twillight but it was lovely and empty and flat roads and no traffic so I sailed round.  When I got in, I discovered that DISASTER, the olive container had tipped....all over my down jacket!!! Noooooooooooooooooooooo! I have put it in to soak in the utility room sink!

I ate two Belgian hot cross buns which I've bought reduced for quick sale in the COOP. At which point, CBC came into the room with two pieces of bread piled with cheese.  I noticed a slice of bread had LOADS of Goat's cheese on.  I had bought a new roll of goat's cheese around 4 days ago and I haven't had any yet (there being 4 other open cheese). In a very accusatory tone, I asked CBC if he had eaten all the goat's cheese as I hadn't had any yet. He was very vague and avoidant in his answer and acted like he didn't know. I went to look and found the packet in the bin! The SWINE had eaten the lot!  I came in rather annoyed and told him it was unfair because I'd bought it and I hadn't got to eat ANY of it. I really was cross.  At which point, he told me the neighbours would think I was mad for being so loud in my accusations. I confiscated the remaining half a slice of bread and put it on my plate with my hot cross bun.   I started to take a bite whilst waiting on the phone for the Doctor's surgery and had to put it down to speak to the receptionist who answered.  As I finished, the absolute swine CBC swiped the piece of bread away to take a bite. I reacted like lightning in my panic to grab it back and at least have one bite and ended up smacking him in the face as I tried to grasp it as he'd already brought it towards his mouth as I pounced! Oops! I did manage to eat the last corner of it!

Honestly, he's SUCH a pig with cheese- I did allude to the fact that once he was sacked for eating too much cheese. This is true as he worked in a deli at one point in his life. I wouldn't mind but there are FOUR other cheeses and this was the one I bought that I most wanted to eat! The whole family are cheese pigs.  Honestly, it was quite amazing the amount of cheese they packed away when we went on holiday to France and Italy together.

Well, that's the end of the cheese story. 

Was I wrong in my crossness at the situation. I did make him breakfast AND lunch today (and most days when I am home) so I felt I had done lots of loving things to justify a little annoyance!

14 comments:

  1. Mae West allegedly said "If you've forgiven your man, do not reheat his sins for breakfast"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Kezzie, the drama of it all! (I'm not being sarcastic - I'm a total drama queen - I GET IT, darlin'). First all the foofaraw with your packages and weighing them, and then hooray for olives, then NOOOOOO with them spilling (I admit, as soon as you said "tray of olives" I thought, "those are going to spill"), and then The Cheese Thief! I also get quite peeved when something I buy that I love gets swiped by L - I've learned to hide things on him. Maybe you should keep an opaque tub in the fridge and label it something like "broth" or similarly unappealing and stash your cheese in there? I'm fortunate in that L will just open a can of soup instead of rooting around in the fridge, but I've been known to hide chocolate in the paper bag where I keep mushrooms (as L hates them). It's a very good hiding tactic.

    Big hug to you, hon, that all sounds very stressful on top of your frustration with kids and remote learning. Hang in there, and take some deep breaths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should say the hiding thing as I have taken to hiding sweets in the dining room which is full of my crafting bits and instruments so he won't find them. At the moment, a jar of sweets is in my flute bag!

      Delete
  3. I don't blame you for being annoyed at CBC. I would have been annoyed too but I bet he thought it was funny what he did. I would make him buy you a new package of goat cheese.

    It's unfortunate that teaching has become so full of obstacles for teachers and you have to learn as you go. I really feel sorry for the teachers and the kids, especially when parents won't cooperate.

    How unfortunate that the olive leaked all over your duvet jacket. I hope the olive oil will not leave stains.

    Thank goodness you're having a bit of a weekend break but then, you probably have to prepare for the next lessons.
    Hang in there.

    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh so interesting story, my best wishes to you

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been know to get a bit irritated in the past, when something I'd bought for myself has been eaten. I really need to get back on my bike. I know I'll enjoy it when I do, but I just can't motivate myself at the moment. It was inspiring to hear that you did it and enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is possible that some parents are avoiding it. So hard to tell for sure these days. You don't want to make unfair accusations because sometimes people do have internet or Wi-Fi issues or aren't tech savvy but some are taking an advantage of this situation. Not an easy situation for teachers for sure. I don't work as a teacher at the moment, but I can relate.
    Looks like CBC REALLY loves goat cheese. I can see why you felt cross. The way you narrated the while incident was hilarious, though. ...and how funny CBC was sacked for eating too much cheese at one point in his life. Maybe he really can't help it ha ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kezzie, I can't tell you how cross this has made me! I just had to pace it off and grab a snack before composing my comment.

    Weighing items - I'm convinced scales are programmed to give a false intimal reading just to through things into chaos.
    Olives - I feel like sniping that olives are just so grim that what can you expect. The thought of them makes me feel all weird. Leaky foods are not to be trusted.
    The cheese incident. WELL, WELL, WELL. WOW, the audacity. We also have many cheeses in the fridge however, we tend to prefer different cheeses. It is well known that I need to be fed or I get cranky - opposite of a gremlin I suppose. Anyway, in all seriousness, I think you should have a firm discussion with your husband about sharing of food, responsibilities and the fact that it's not ok for him to be so childish. If he can't see why you're cross or repeat offends then it needs clarifying to the point where it's crystal clean where boundaries lie. I'm sure the French would forgive all sorts of crimes committed after the theft of good cheese.
    PS I loathe all those parents that aren't bothering to set their kids to do the work that teachers have worked so hard to prepare. Such an injustice. Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. So rude that cheese incident - neither my husband nor I would do that to each other...perhaps that's why we've been married over 30 years. I was genuinely shocked!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh nooo... as soon as I read about the olives I had a feeling they were going to leak.
    I would have been sooo annoyed about the cheese as well, especially with so many other unopened ones. And so rude to steal it back after you made it clear you were upset! He should buy you some new goat's cheese and let you have the whole thing! Jan is usually pretty good about not eating all of something or asking if it's for something specific first, but if I buy plain crisps he will eat the whole bag as a snack after I've gone to bed - I'm talking the big "sharing" bags. Funnily enough any other flavour he won't open because he thinks I might want to try them too but if there just salted I expect them to disappear overnight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh dear! As if your teaching adventures aren't enough to drive one mad, you get weighing/posting hurdles, leaking olives - I could see that one coming - and to top it all, a cheese thief! Grrr! I do hope next week is a better one for you! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those olives! I was salivating at the thought of your lovely olives, I think I was as devastated as you were when they leaked!
    CBC is disgraceful eating all that cheese! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the jacket has THE MOST ENORMOUS STAIN OVER it now. I'm so sad. I'll still wear it BUT it looks awful!

      Delete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)