Back in August, when we were in Northumberland, CBC and I headed off to Chillingham Castle for the day. I'd been there before when we went to meet Ellie, who used to blog.
This time, we headed off to visit the actual Castle rather than the cattle who Ellie is the warden of.
I messaged her in Instagram to say we were heading to Chillingham and would she like to meet to briefly say HI and she responded instantly saying yes! It was lovely to see her and meet her young son. On our way home, CBC and I decided we needed a walk. The heather-clad hills and fields and moors were very enticing.
As we parked and waited for the rain to stop behind a minibus in the layby, a two men walked towards the vehicle and CBC hissed that it was Dominic Cummings! He of Barnard Castle, flagrantly flouting the Covid rules-fame.
"Don't be silly!" I retorted, not really knowing what he looked like.
"Seriously, it's him!" CBC replied.
I still didn't believe him- it was raining and we were looking out from some very droplet-filled windows. As we got out to put our boots on, I was determined to ascertain if it was really him. I called out to him and asked if he could recommend which way we should go for a walk (also because they'd come from the right and we were possibly going to the left). It actually turned out to be him- I looked it up later. How weird to come across a notorious government adviser on a remote part of Northumberland (although his F-i-L owns Chillingham castle it seems, so perhaps not). He was polite to me but seemed clueless about which way to walk. Could have said something impolite to him considering how many people he's upset in England with his actions, but I wouldn't do that to a stranger, minding their own business, no matter what we might have felt, in case anyone feels like asking that question in the comments.
Anyway, I thought I'd share some photos of those spectacular purple moors. I sent a video to my work colleague of these and she was so happy!
Its it heather, bracken? It's beautiful a sight for saw eyes. I bet it was strange coming across DC.
ReplyDeleteWow! What a beautiful sight for your eyes to behold. I have seen yellow field in Scotland in mid May and it was spectacular but this is even more spectacular.
ReplyDeleteHugs, Julia
I had no idea the purple was like THAT!!! Incredible.
ReplyDeleteWhat spectacular photos, it's hard to get your head round those colours being natural, isn't it?
ReplyDeleteDominic Cummings? He gets around a bit, doesn't he? I wouldn't have said anything to him either, much as I'd have been tempted. xxx
Wow, what an incredible colour. I've walked on hills with fading heather but this is something else!!!!!! Lucky you, I hope you thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteI am utterly hopeless about recognising anyone so I wouldn't have intercepted him regardless.
Gorgeous! Would you believe I've never been to Chillingham castle (that I can remember)?
ReplyDeleteOMG, that's gorgeous. I've seen heather here and there when I went to the UK but never on such a scale!
ReplyDeleteThose moors and that hill are wonderful. Of the several places I would like to return to the moorland in Northumberland is near the top of the list. You photographed the heather at its best.
ReplyDeleteOh, those photos of the heather-clad hills are truly fantastic! Obviously, I've no idea who Dominic Cummings is ... But we do have a very arrogant government adviser for Covid-19, who'd said in an interview that he often went cycling in one of our favourite nature reserves. I told Jos that I would accidentally put my walking stick into his bike's spokes if we ever came across him :-))) xxx
ReplyDeleteThat colour is surreal! It looks fake, but it's absolutely astounding, Kezzie. Thank you for sharing these pictures.
ReplyDeleteHow funny to run into an "official" - I've had a few encounters with celebrities and other famous folks, but I'm often clueless until after the fact. My favourite tale is a friend who spent the evening after a concert at a house party, chatting with a lovely man named Ed. It wasn't until after the party that his wife noted that "Ed" was Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam!
Hahaha it's so funny you ran into Dominic Cummings! I'm surprised he dare show his face in public places after what happened!
ReplyDeleteThose photos are stunning, what pretty colours. It's so easy to forget how pretty England is!
Corinne x
www.skinnedcartree.com
I knew DCs FIL owned Chillingham Castle. But I'm not sure I could have been as restrained as you were!
ReplyDeleteWhat magical views. These purple moors look like something from a fairy tale.
ReplyDeleteThis is utterly stunning, what a place to visit!
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't have said anything to DC either, I completely agree it wouldn't have been right under those circumstances.
xx