Sunday, October 18, 2015

Those Autumn leaves

I was struck by how I was wearing the shades of Autumn leaf decay today- the three stages-
Yellow- when the leaves are bright yellow, the dark brown stage where they have started to die and then that pale biscuity stage where all the moisture has left the leaf and they are brittle, parched and ready to crack.  Sounds delightful eh!?  Hopefully, combining all three makes for a more pleasing sartorial conclusion.

 I have often made no bones about the fact that I emphatically do not like Autumn.  I often feel like the Bah-humbug fairy when everyone else (except Sophie, who I think is more on my wavelength, even though she show the beauty of it through her photos) is extolling the virtues of the season. I was thinking, as I read yet another post delighting in the Autumn, that perhaps I need to lighten up and appreciate it - to see the good, like I do in most other things.  It's not that I DON'T see the beauty in Autumn, it's just I feel the gloom of the darkening days and mourn deeply for the loss of summer, that time I love so much, thus I consciously shut my eyes to the positives.

And then, today at church,  as the children were completing some beautiful Autumn collages around us as the service progressed, Margaret, the vicar, played this beautiful video and said how lucky we were to see the beauty of Autumn.
  

And perhaps, within me, I knew that I must change my attitude to the Autumn.  When you look and emphasize the bad, you come to see that only. Do the opposite, trying to see the good and perhaps you can believe and take joy in that instead.
So, on the day, I came to try and accept that, the sun shone and I wore Autumn shades.


And delighted in my Poetic License (sister-brand of Irregular Choice) shoes which I wore for the first time and made me feel a bit like Mary Poppins.
The silhouette of this outfit is rather more grown-up than I am used to- I don't wear trousers all too happily though today, these Karen Millen mini-dogtooth 'Plus fours' (I called them Culottes, CBC looked askance on them and asked why I was dressing like a gentleman of the 1910's) suited the shoes. Sorry Julia, they needed an iron and I didn't!  Yes, I did match everything in the outfit to the shoes. The shoes came first,everything else followed!
And this afternoon, I headed back to church for the Confirmation service where I was playing flute  in the band with a combination of people. The church was packed and I was struck with that wonderful sense of a deep love of a community, unity, of a people combined, that I only get when I am at church. It's different from that of just being with family.  I felt happy, at peace, understood. I felt the joy and exhilaration  of those being confirmed.  I felt at home. Something I find very hard to put this feeling I experience into words, but it is, in a sense, a feeling of being lifted, being light and breathing with delight, almost that sort of sigh of contentment you get at times.  I wish I could explain it and I wish that you experience this kind of joy too!

I hope that you all have a lovely week and enjoy some fun, joy and rest too.  

Sending many best wishes,
Kezzie xx

Linking to:

Creative Mondays with Claire Justine 
AND 
Visible Monday with Patti

45 comments:

  1. How cute are those shoes! #CreativeMonday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I loved them when I saw them AND finally got some in my big size 8 feet!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, those shoes are adorable Kezzie! It's funny...I've always loved autumn, but as I get older I'm starting to love summer more. If only I could along with winter for more than two weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winter- meh! At least with Winter,you know it can only get better. With Autumn, you know it's going to get worse!

      Delete
  3. You look positively charming in autumn colors. Don't give the wrinkled culotte a second thought. I think that it's wonderful that you don't see the need to iron everything. I was brainwashed by the status quo of my days. ( I rarely iron anything now a day). Those shoes are positively very eye catchy.

    I love Autumn and the beauty but I'm not a fan of the short daylight and the cold.
    I love Thanksgiving and all that goes with it and Halloween decorations and pumpkins. I love driving through colorful foliage along the roads. It makes me so thankful for God's creation. It just takes my breath away. Thanks for sharing this video...

    It's wonderful to feel that you belong in your community where you are accepted and made feel welcome and needed. A really good feeling to have. You are right about changing our attitude to enjoy Autumn.

    Have a great week dear Kezzie.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julia. I'm glad you are able to let the ironing go. Most of my family are like that, they MUST iron!
      The cold and lacking daylight must be hard for you with getting to the calves!
      God's creation IS wonderful, I am thankful for it!
      Community is wonderful! I'm grateful to be part of the blogging community with you too!x

      Delete
  4. THOSE SHOES STOLE THE SHOW! I love earthy colours and also mustard yellow is one of my favourite colours to wear at this time of year!

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, they're taking a curtain call now!!! I used to hate yellow until I discovered mustard- now I'm after it all the time!x

      Delete
  5. Ah what is this thing of leaves changing colors? (I live in Florida : > ) Perfect shoes, they are fab and so are you. xo

    -patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Florida!!!! I should move there! Thank you, you are so kind.x

      Delete
  6. Lovely outfit, buddy. Great pants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ally! I like their quirky nature!

      Delete
  7. I think I know the feeling you mean, and I'm so happy you were feeling it and wearing wild shoes at the same time! It's those beautiful moments that help you get through the dark seasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! And thank you Val! Until we meet....!!

      Delete
  8. Those shoes are seriously wonderful! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They make me very cheerful!

      Delete
  9. The shoes and pants are so adorable and you look very amazing and wow in that brown top, dear!! My goodness, very nice indeed :) Such a beautiful woman!! And keeping a brave face despite your feelings on Fall. I wrote this as a recent caption on an Instagram picture of mine:

    "The change of seasons reminds us that even the coldest ending can have beauty. And eventually result is amazing new begginings"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shamu! Ahrgh, hate being called a woman. I know I am one but it makes me feel old. In my head I am a 12 year old!!!
      That's a nice quote, thank you!

      Delete
  10. I love the shoes! btw do you know the poem by Gerard Manley Hopkins "Spring and Fall" ??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know it, but I'd like to!!

      Delete
  11. Oh, that's so funny - I quite often start with shoes and then work my way up! They are truly awesome shoes, Kezzie! I know exactly what you mean about Autumn. The deeper we get into it, the lower my heart sinks. But, if we didn't have Autumn and Winter, there'd be no rebirth in Spring and the joy of Summer. The older I get, the better I get at dealing with the transition. And I do love all the colours at this time of year, so I hang on to that.
    By the way, I commented today on Ally's post about blogging and replied to your comment. Hope it gives you a boost!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, glad you think similarly!
      That is true what you say. I'm hanging onto the colours (for dear life!)
      And THANK you for your really kind comment on Ally's blog. I know what you say, but for a 10 years plus blogger, it does feel rubbish sometimes!

      Delete
  12. Love those shoes!!
    I can't see the point of Autumn. It's rubbish. The end of summer, cold, nights drawing in and huge spiders. Every year bloggers who drone on about hot chocolate, snuggly jumpers and getting excited about Hallowe'en bore the pants off me. There, said it. Bring back Summer! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm with you! Autumn is lovely weatherwise and leafwise, but I feel sad to see the sun go.
    However it will return, promise we will send it back when we are finished with it here in Oz!
    Jazzy Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, thank you for agreeing! Hello to Oz-make sure you send it back carefully! ;-)
      x

      Delete
  14. I know what you mean about summer, especially because I loved it more when I was teaching school. Fall is so pretty here compared to winter (all the leaves are gone) and it isn't so freezing like it is later. I love your cute "make peace with autumn" outfit, good Kezzie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summer is so beautiful, isn't it!!! Thank you for understanding.x

      Delete
  15. I am longing to see you playing again, but it will have to wait - though I didn't give it up :) Well, now I have to say - CBC said you looked like a 1910 year gentleman, and I say YES, great outfit, this is one of my favorites outfits now! I was eager to know where you got these shoes, and now I know - I love PL! And the culottes are amazing, the yellow cardi as well and you look beautiful! I understand what you mean, yes - waking up to see all dark and at 4:30 pm all is dark again is not very good, but I still love autumn :) Mmm... now I have to think it over. The darkness is not something I like! Hope you have a great week, dear Kezzie!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to meeting you again!
      CBC thought the trousers were frightful but I just ignored him (the way I do often with sartorial differences!) . Thank you for understanding!x

      Delete
  16. Hm, I know exactly how you feel. I think fall is beautiful, but I also dislike how it means summer has faded away and winter will soon be upon us. Fall is a beautiful decay, which I find quite the oxymoron. But you're right--there are many good parts to fall. Without the change of seasons, I'm sure I wouldn't appreciate summer as much because it'd always be there!

    Your outfit is so fall--I really like how everything matches your shoes!

    And I do love the deep peace and joy I feel in Church during worship songs. I've been doing more small group study lately, but I miss that serenity.


    Wishing you the very best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true. I am glad you understand the feeling I mean. Thank you dear Lily.

      Delete
  17. The shoes are lovely, I like the pattern and the colours are perfect for autumn. You look great x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I quite like autumn, as long as the days are bright and clear - blue skies and turning leaves look beautiful. And I like wearing tights and boots again too! I think you just have to embrace all of it - the seasons will come and go whether we like it or not, and what's the point os spending half the year moaning?
    I love the 1920s golfing look - plus fours and those fab shoes couldn't look better, Kezzie, it's an inspired outfit! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Curtise!
      To be honest, I don't moan about it except on here really, it's just my over-reaction to the "Isn't it wonderful!" overenthusiasm of the blogging world in general!x
      Golfing look- yes, I like that image!!!x

      Delete
  19. I absolutely love your outfit...that yellow cardi makes the whole look so positive....there is something so cheerful and bright abouit yellow...and brown matches yellow nicely. I always loved Autumn and I'm glad to hear you're embracing it...I can certainly see how you embraced it with a lot of style. You look stunning! Those yellow shoes are so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was aiming for positive, glad you saw it!!!
      x

      Delete
  20. You look beautiful in the "shades of Autumn leaf decay". That really made me laugh. And what a nice idea to style an outfit from the shoes up. Now that certainly sounds like a Mary Poppins philosophy if I ever heard one.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Kezzie, Just found you through #Visible Monday. I love these yellow shoes - they're divine! Talking of divine, am a churchgoer like you and completely agree with you about the sense of calm to be found with morning worship. My time in church is an oasis of peace which I rarely experience anywhere else. So lovely to have someone else echo these sentiments.
    My post this week was of a yellow outfit too,so maybe you'll take a look.
    Anna
    http://www.annasislandstyle.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh wow Kezzie, I love your shoes!! How cool are these!! :)

    Thanks for sharing at Creative Mondays

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such fun shoes!
    I love the colours of autumn but not the gradually earlier darkness. But at least now I can leave the house without risking sunstroke!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think this is a terrific outfit, love the mustard colour and the culottes are a perfect match for such amazing shoes. I'm swooning at those.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  25. It is a different look for you, but I like it. The shoes are fabulous and really bring the whole thing together, but remain the stand out piece. I love Autumn, like I love Spring, nature at it's most beautiful I think, but I do understand the "saying goodbye to summer" thing and all that entails. I loved that video, especially the adorable squirrels.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I do understand where you're coming from - autumn IS bittersweet. I lament the loss of summer deeply,I certainly wasn't ready to leave it behind this year when we had barely experienced it! but I do cherish the moments of watching the bronze leaves drifting down :) Autumn is beautiful because it's a mixed month of decay and charm. An odd and fascinating combination.
    You're outfit is rad, I love the colours :)

    Sarah xxo | thesaltyseablog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)