The kind, generous and ever encouraging Shamu shared a post idea that a blogger called Maggie came up with. Embracing a defect about you and cuddling it-making it a positive and I thought that this was a lovely idea.
Often, things can make us self-conscious and want to shy away. A friend of mine had a birthmark on her face on her right cheek-bone. I always thought how lovely it was and assumed she felt the same until one day she was sharing with some friends how much she hated it. "But!" we exclaimed, "You have a perfect heart-shaped mark!" we exclaimed and would all have loved it! It was a perfect tiny heart shape.
Well, my 'defect' is one that is probably not obvious from my blog photos but it is often immediately obvious to strangers, particularly children. As a child, people would come up to me and say, "Why are you cross-eyed?". For I have very little vision in my left-eye due to an eye-condition called 'Morning glory syndrome' info here. I have never had 2-eyed vision all my life. To be honest, it has never really bothered me because I have never known any different, although I HATED having to wear eye-patches as a young girl. I had an operation and many tests on my eye at Great Ormond Street hospital, London, but eventually was discharged as there was nothing they could do.
There are many positives which I could cuddle about this condition though:
* Having only seen an optical picture of my eye 2 years ago, my lens is a work of art!!! Honestly, normal optical eye-pictures are BORING! My eye looks like the death-star being destroyed in Star-Wars! It is a lightning extravaganza! I excited a very, very cute Northumbrian optician by looking at my eye pictures! My eye would beat yours in an art competition every time!Admittedly, it might scare small children, but you know, we don't mind that!
* I have never been able to do 3D stuff- so I don't need to waste money on 3d cinema or those silly 3d pictures!
* I have not learnt to drive or owned a car yet, thus saving thousands of pounds over the 15 years in which I could have already been driving!
*I feel an affinity to Columbo. Am sure it makes me more endearing even if children find it weird. They can go away!
*I don't know what it feels like to have 2 working eyes so why should I be worried over what I have never known!
*Due to finding judging distances a little more difficult, I am much more cautious when doing dangerous things like climbing down mountains thus I take more care and could have saved my life on countless occasions! It's no bad thing to be extra-cautious!
I'd love to see you cuddle your defect! Let me know what you've written if you have and do go and share with Maggie, the originator of this lovely idea!
xx
This is such a great idea. Looking at things in a positive way rather than seeing it as a defect is so lovely and good for the soul. I'd love to see the picture of your eye. It sounds beautiful. I love the way you described it!
ReplyDeleteFantastic post - really interesting to read about your eye. I hope having 'cuddled your defect' makes you feel differently about it. I really love this idea. I sort of do this to a certain degree anyway in my daily life (having so many 'quirks', as I call them), but I will definitely write a blog post about this. Can't wait :) xxx
ReplyDeleteThis is a lovely idea! I'm curious to see your optical pictures now :) You're right that I've never noticed anything different about your eyes, but I'm glad that you shared about your condition and that you're able to find so many positive sides to it. Being extra-careful when climbing mountains, etc., is a great thing!
ReplyDelete~Isabella
adventuresinhel.blogspot.fi
It's so easy to be self critical of the way we are. It's a lovely idea to share it when we can embrace it.
ReplyDeleteCaroline
www.puttingyourlifeinorder.blogspot.co.uk
This is a great idea! I think you're right, that we tend to focus negatively on things that other people either don't notice or don't think are bad. And our friends just accept us the way we are anyway!
ReplyDeleteAny strategy which helps us to feel more positive about our flaws is helpful - most of us have them, after all! What an amazing description of your lens, and how well you have adjusted to the issues with your sight. I have learned over the years that no matter how sensitive or aware we are of our defects or flaws, they are only ever part of the whole picture, and to focus on them to the exclusion of everything else we have to offer the world is unhelpful. And as Val says, other people tend not to notice or care about them half as much as we do! xxx
ReplyDeleteOh you are so sweet! Thanks for this wonderful entry. It was so exciting for me to take part in it as it gave me a chance to share something I was ashamed of and feel accepted, but also it made me feel a part of something. I rarely get that feeling on the net and I seek it constantly. Very happy you joined in as well and hope you get warm fuzzies from it as well. As for Columbo, aren't you too young to know who Columbo is? I always preferred Kojak myself as he was always eating a lollipop and said "who loves ya', baby?" quite a bit. I would enjoy taking both those affectations if I thought I could get away with it. You did some first-class cuddling there, dear. So sweetly written and so sharp. Oh, OK, just this once and with apologies if it offends, I just have to say it after reading such a wonderful piece by a superb human....who loves ya', baby? :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a great idea, I'd never have known that if you hadn't shared it.
ReplyDeleteOMG Thank you so much sweet Kezzie
ReplyDeleteI am honored to read this post. You'are so special like.
Shamu Boo is an amazing person.
I'll share immediately post in facebook and twitter.
Maggie D.
The Indian Savage diary
I
How strange, I didn't know about that lovely challenge and I was planning on writing my own post extolling the virtues of walking with a limp soon. I'm all for embraces our flaws, its what makes us individual and unique. xxxxx
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteOkay, I finally got mine finished. Have a look here: http://teechablog.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/not-defective.html
ReplyDeleteOh you have such a great outlook on things. My Mom had developed a freckle on her face while being ill with leukemia that took her in a few months of her 87th year. {bless her soul}. But she did. She grew a heart shaped freckled on her right cheek right where you would apply blush. It was quite remarkable really. She liked that she had grown a heart on her face. I'm grateful for your kind words. Very grateful.
ReplyDeleteThis is such a wonderful post!! Go you for embracing that about yourself with such enthusiasm and fun energy!
ReplyDeleteMiranda
Little Gold Pocket Watch
Lovely post my dear, happy 15th of August!
ReplyDeleteFabrizia – Cosa Mi Metto???
Great post and we all wish we could see that brilliantly described image now! My Mum is almost completely blind in one eye (like she can't even see the largest letter on the board) so she got so frustrated with those 3d images that were all the rage years ago (though I always found you had to make yourself cross-eyed to find the hidden image, which I'm sure wasn't great for your eyesight anyway) and she can't properly see 3d films, so you're not alone. I guess mine would be my freckles...I always hated them and thought my skin would look so much clearer and fresher without them, but my parents instilled in me they were "kisses from fairies" when I was younger! I have a couple of facial scars too, but have always been quite fond of them.
ReplyDeleteI love this post Kezzie, I hate my teeth and I am getting braces next month. So many people have asked me why and until I point out the obvious, they all say they have never noticed my teeth before. What we think is obvious isn't, people just see us for us, with out noticing what we thinks are flaws.
ReplyDeleteWhat a fascinating post idea! You're right -- I've never noticed your eye condition in your blog photos. Now it makes me want to go back and study your face - haha! Your list of advantages are fun to read, and very creative. You HAVE saved a pile of $$ over the years by not driving, plus riding bikes more, I bet, and getting better exercise from it -- walking, etc. Now I have to think about my own defect. I think it would have been my nose, which had a huge hump in it. But my dad paid for me to have nose surgery after college, so that nose is no more. I suppose my weight would be my next irritating trait. I'm working on that one.
ReplyDelete