Thursday, April 17, 2014

My Grandad

Hello there,

Firstly, thank you for ALL your love, support, prayers, care and concern you showed to me over my Grandad over the last 3 weeks or so, and before that.  I am sorry I am only telling you now, but I didn't want to publish my post before now.

Unfortunately, he passed away on Monday evening at about 6.45-7pm (or that's when the nurses found out, I am not sure exactly.).  He had been off the drip and hadn't eaten/drunk anything since Wednesday night last week/Thursday morning as he had refused treatment and just seemed to want to do it his way. That's him- never one to show emotion, to ask for help, proud and fiercely independent.

I was away for a week in Northumberland and Oxford, so I hadn't seen him for a week, but I knew that he would not die before I got to see him.  You may not believe what I do, but I knew that God would give me that opportunity to see him.

I went after 3pm on Monday and CBC drove me.  I asked him to drop me off at the door and he went to go and find free parking in a nearby road.  I wanted that time with him.  He had been moved to him own room.  When I saw him, I was shocked and startled as he had deteriorated so much in the week I hadn't seen him. There seemed to be not much of him left, his eyes were barely open, looking to the side.  He looked like a frail old man, his mouth wide open and dry and dreadfully ill, he couldn't speak but I immediately stroked his hair throughout and talked to him about my week in Northumberland.  I talked to him of God and that He was there for him if he only wanted to see him, speak to him, ask for him, I sang him my song I had completed writing that week- Love so amazing  I told him I loved him lots, kissed his forehead, demonstrated some lindy-hop for him that I'd learnt 2 weeks ago.  He opened his eyes wide as I talked alone to him and groaned once as I spoke.   I noticed his radio was on Radio 1, he loved classical music so I changed it to Radio 3 for him and we listened to Baroque Music. I talked more to him.  At which point, I went quickly outside  to ask the nurse what the situation was.  They said they were keeping him comfortable now, no other treatment apart from moistening his mouth every 2 hours, applying emolient to his skin, changing his lying position as he could not do it himself.  When I came back, his eyes had closed a bit, not fully shut but staring, unseeing from the bottom, and he was snoring.  CBC arrived at that point to see snoring Grandad.  We could hear the rattle from his chest inbetween the snores. I continued to talk to him, stroke his hair, we asked the nurse to moisten his mouth and they moved his position towards the end of our visit.  It was around 6pm and it seemed that he would not wake up and we felt it would be better to leave him to rest peacefully, it felt right. As I kissed his head, stroked his head, said I loved him and told him to remember what I had said earlier to him, he opened his eyes wider, which CBC saw: he was seeing us off.   As we were going to go, I asked CBC to go and get the car and pick me up, I needed a little more time with him.   Alone once more, I told him I loved him again, reminded him that that God loved him, he made one more gasping groan, I wasn't really sure which.  I kissed his forehead a few more times as my tears fell on his forehead and said goodbye repeatedly, reluctant to leave.  It was 6.15pm.

Despite the trauma of how he looked and the sadness, I was proud, glad and honoured to spend that time with him, even if I got little response. We know not what the heart feels or the seemingly unconscious brain knows and registers and if he somehow could sense I was with him and knew I loved him, then any distressed I might feel was well worth it. I have a lifetime to get over it whereas he has little time.  He knew I was there from opening his eyes and those 2 groans.  He died some 45 minutes later or less. I was the last one to see him alive.  I am understandably upset but I am so glad that I had that time with him, so glad I could stroke his head and tell him I loved him.  I loved him, I love him, I will always love him and I pray for forgiveness for all I left undone and all I failed to do.  God bless his soul. xxx

23 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss, Kezzie. What a holy time you had with him in those last moments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear this and for the loss of your beloved granddad. My prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very sorry for your loss. My grandfather meant so much to me, too. I still remember him, fondly--and often. You and your family are in my thoughts. T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. God bless both your souls and warm prayers for all your family. Your writing is a wonderful tribute to the last beautiful moments of what I am sure was an amazing life. He is smiling at you now, that I can promise. Be well, dear, many hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry for you. I do believe that people wait to see their loved ones before they let go. Your grandad knew how important it was that you met one last time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh Kezzie I am reading this with cheers rolling down my cheeks....so sad but so lovely. I hope your ok and RIP to your grandad. Take care x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kezzie- you are a truly kind and wonderful lady and your grandad was so proud of you too, I am so pleased that you spent his last precious time with each other. I am very sorry for your loss too and send you my deepest condolences. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry for your loss Kezzie x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reading this on Good Friday morning, and remembering you in my prayers.
    I am so glad you had that precious time with your Grandad on Monday - and remain unbelievably grateful to you for your kindness to me this week, at a time when I was anxious about my own family. I do believe that your grandfather's suffering has ceased, and he has passed from our hands into the hands of our Loving Father, and we can trust Him to care for our loved ones.
    Today is a day for grief, and mourning- but Sunday's coming, when we can celebrate the eternal life that is ours in Jesus.
    Love and prayers - xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't say anything as eloquently as Angela, but you & your family are in my prayers & thoughts. May God bless you, dear Kezzie

    ReplyDelete
  11. My condolences, Kezzie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry for your loss, friend. xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm very sorry for your loss. It was good, though, that you got to see him one last time before the end.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so sorry, Kezzie. Cherish your memories of your lovely Grandad. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so sorry for your loss, Kezzie. He was a lucky man to have a granddaughter who cared so much about him, and I am so glad you got those last moments with him. You are in my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so sorry about your Grandad, Kezzie; but so glad to hear you got to spend time with him at the end. I am sure he felt your love and kindness, even if he was unable to communicate with you as he once did. I hope CBC is looking after you with plenty of hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so very sorry for the sad loss of your Grandad.
    Such a privilege to have been able to spend that time with him and share your love.
    Take care.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  18. So sorry to hear of your sad loss. I can understand you will treasure those last moments with your darling grandad. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aww Kezzie I am so sorry to hear you sad news :( xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so sorry for your loss Kezzie - I am glad to know you were able to spend some time with him in those final moments. I'm thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I'm so sorry Kezzie, it's taken me two attempts to read this through tears : (

    ReplyDelete
  22. Im so sorry for you loss and so glad that you got to say goodbye.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Kezzie, I've been away to stay with Dave's family so am just catching up. I'm really sorry to hear this news, even though it wasn't really unexpected. I hope you can take comfort from the fact that you were there for him at the end, it must have meant a great deal to him.

    I never got the chance to say goodbye to my own grandad, he died quite suddenly when I was 14 and although I had a chance, I couldn't accept that he was dying and say goodbye, then it was too late - I think you were both so very lucky to have had this time together at the end.

    Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)