Wednesday, April 16, 2014

In the Borough

IMG_2192

IMG_2193
My Canadian friend/work colleague celebrated her birthday the day after term ended and she asked me if I'd go to Borough Market with her for the day.  For anyone that hasn't heard of it, this is located close to London Bridge and is a wonderful market full of delicious interesting food- you can buy ready-made food and drink or buy things to take away.  Organic cheeses, fruits, meats and sausages, teas, cakes, biscuits, cereals, all sorts.  It is an amazing eclectic mix and it's a really buzzing place. There's always interesting crowds and it's great to be able to people watch.  Better still, there are samples on offer.

I love this scene of umbrellas- so colourful and interesting.
IMG_2190
This busker seemed to be playing samba-groove type drumming, he was a great distraction from food!
IMG_2207
Mysteriously, there seemed to be some sort of ghost trail that people were following- various lamp-posts around the place had these colourful boxes attached and some weird little cryptic notes.
IMG_2206
I liked this stall's way of presenting the variety of apples you could buy.
IMG_2203
And the cheeses!
IMG_2200
Oh the cheeses!!!! They were HUGE and everywhere!
IMG_2198


Sausages
 IMG_2202
 More sausages...
IMG_2201

Smoothies galore - I fancied the Strawberry one!
IMG_2204
We ate Pad-Thai with Tofu and peanut (yay, Veggie food meant we jumped the queue!) and it was Pims-o'clock!

IMG_2191
Oh and after we'd had our fill of Borough Market, the funniest thing to do with a friend on their birthday is to take them to Debenhams to try on headwear.  Namely, 'orrid' headwear.  I honestly don't know what Ben De Lisi was thinking when he designed some of these fascinators.  Was he channelling Beatrice and Eugenie alla Royal Wedding?
These are mostly of me (as I don't really want to put photos of my friend up without her permission but I included one where the hat (bird's nest?)  is taking over lots of her face!!!!!) Aren't they hideous??? (some of them- not the nice grey one!)

Hat parade

14 comments:

  1. I go to the market with my daughter sometimes - we get there very early, have a coffee from Monmouths then wander round and manage an entire breakfast just by eating all the free samples on offer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kezzie, those hats are baaad. You are a pretty woman but even you can't rescue those horrors! And why do you seem to have a Penny Farthing on your head in the third pic.....??

    The street food and market sounds fabby though and I like Angela's breakfast plan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun post, Kezzie! But those hats! Yikes! I don't understand Beatrice's and Eugenie's fascination with fascinators! I spotted that russet apple right away. It was my mother's favorite, and in the last years of her life she couldn't find them anywhere! Those umbrellas are striking. Have a happy end to your week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha those hats are so fun. I so want to see myself in them. That would be a fun blog post :) Looks like an incredible place filled with so much taste and character. Great shots, dear xoxo

    http://downwithpants1969.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like a great market - I have to admit I sometimes play the hat game as well with my best friend when we are at the shops.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Borough market looks wonderful, can't beat a good market! Love those umbrellas, and all the food stalls. I like trying hats on too, the more ludicrous the better! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my word, look at all that cheese!
    I love cheese, it is my most favourite thing to eat - just a big cheese board with some chutneys and grapes. I think I need to go shopping :)

    Gems x
    Fashion, Well Done

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the brolly display and would go mad being in close proximity to those cheeses and buy loads! Love trying hats on, BHS was the place to go when I was a teenager! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely day. And suddenly I want a room full of umbrellas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that looks like an awesome place for an adventure! And those are some pretty wacky hats!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This market looks awesome- I imagine I would end up having to roll myself home after indulging in free samples to excess. Fancy hats are fun- especially the hideous ones! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow this looks great, love the umbrellas:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. such marvelous images!

    i am sorry for the loss of your grandfather. blessings to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks great.

    I sort of love all the hats! I do love a good satellite dish one!

    ReplyDelete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)