Saturday, April 26, 2014

Meet me at the temple

IMG_2388
We had a really fun day at Vindolanda.  For anyone that doesn't know, this is an archaeological dig in Northumberland, not far from Hadrian's wall.  It was a Roman military settlement for many years
Roman temple

IMG_2394
 Entire outfit (except hiding walking boots= thrifted/charity shop-
M&S vintage (80's???) check dress, belt from vintage dress, coat originally H&M, Beret (Primark new)
IMG_2306
Not far from Hadrian's Wall, you can see archaeologists working on digs as you wander around
IMG_2399
Vindolanda was once upon a time, one of the key military posts in the north of England.  It is the home of Britain's Top Treasure according to a vote by the British Public- a series of wooden writing tablets that give us an insight into the lives of the Roman soldiers and their families in Roman times. It is a miracle that they survived for us to be able to read, since they were made of thin wood and had they not been preserved upon some layers of bracken without exposure to oxygen, they would have perished along with all other wood/paper matter.
IMG_2318
The site is extensive and you can see the ruins and remains of the Roman town: residences of officers and barracks, a temple to an unknown God, mausoleum...
IMG_2312
Reproduction fort and site in the middle of archaeological dig- there are nine layers of settlements built on top of each other over the occupation period

IMG_2300
Water containers

IMG_2297

During the drier weather, you can see volunteers digging on the site, carefully searching for interesting matter.  I stood and watched some volunteers and saw one unearthing some pieces of pottery and we talked to the head of the site who told us a few things.
IMG_2376
There is a reproduction fort at the edge of the site and a repro Roman temple which is pictured above with me.
IMG_2387
The museum was interesting with many relics and finds and transcriptions of the wooden writing tablets.
IMG_2358
There were several of these 'workshops' that contain many unexhibited findings- pottery, metal, stone, wood etc

IMG_2327
Carvings

IMG_2324




IMG_2374
Roman sandals- already pictured in my Roman wishlist post

IMG_2352
Glass beads
I'd definitely recommend a visit to here.  You can also visit its sister site, the Roman military museum, some miles along Hadrians' wall!
IMG_2413
Aerial view from the reproduction fort

11 comments:

  1. It's a very long time (about 40 years!!!) since I last visited Vindolanda.. It's interesting to see how the site has been explored and extended. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  2. *dons hat*

    I remember visiting this place when I was about 9 or 10. We went on a week's holiday in the car, all the way up to Hadrian's Wall and back from the south coast, stopping at cool places and staying in Youth Hostels along the way.

    Loving your jazzy beret and coat combination!

    xxx

    P.S. Did I thank you yet for my Where's Wally postcard? If not, I am SO sorry for being rude. I absolutely LOVED it!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got my Hubby in to read this post it is right up his ally. You my dear look adorable, you so remind me of little red riding hood xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look lovely in your checked dress; black, white and red are such a fabulous combination!
    I've never been to Vindolanda, it looks fascinating. My son would love it, he's into history and archeology. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fab outfit, it really stands out. Liking the look of Vindolanda. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cool. There's so much we can learn from history and ancient cultures.

    Thank you for your comment on my blog. I want to answer it but need to be a little discreet (i.e., off my blog).

    Yes, I do live with my wife. I'm not technically "alone" -- but she doesn't like me to crossdress in her presence so I don't. I only do it when she's out, such as when she goes scrapbooking. That's why I feel lonely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks a really interesting place. This was on our list when we were in Northumberland last August but there was so much to do, we didn't make it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We went to Hadrian's Wall once and saw a Roman encampment, but I don't think it was this one. We both mostly remember the latrine!

    You look lovely - I love your checked dress with the red coat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoo this looks a very interesting place to visit, so much to see. Great outfit and pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. sounds intriguing...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fascinating! We love watching documentaries of digs like this, and watch a lot of your British "Time Team" shows. What a great trip!

    ReplyDelete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)