Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Flight of the Bumblebee

IMG-20140426-WA0014.jpg

IMG-20140426-WA0013.jpg

Today, my Grandad made his last public appearance at his funeral. It was held at a new cemetery not too far from where I live and seemed a really beautiful, open, fresh, peaceful place with a lake where trees are planted with plaques for the deceased.

A real nice crowd turned up including over 30 fellow beekeepers, 4 teachers (including Head) from the school where he taught bee-keeping, friends and neighbours, past and present, family of course.

They had managed to find these photos by contacting an Essex-based magazine who had published these photos with an interview with Grandad some while ago (mind you, he was in the local paper and on BBC Radio Essex with Ken Crowther a few times in the past so there were other places that had taken photos) and they were projected from screens in the Crematorium and on the front of really lovely order of services, along with a picture of him as a young bespectacled lad of 30ish on the back with honeybees dotted here and there.

The service was not religious, as my Grandfather was not religious, but it had some nice elements to it.  After the bringing in of his casket (which I found very humbling- it looked so small for such a tall man) and a welcome, we sang Morning has broken which has very fitting lyrics for a man who loved nature so much, which I accompanied on the keyboard.  After this, my cousin came and read a poem which was lovely.

After this, I came up to play a piece which my Grandad had commissioned me to write some 16 years ago. He was SUCH a clever man and had a plan for me to write a 20minute long piece for full symphony orchestra and singer details of which he wrote to me in a 5-page long letter with intricate details and ideas for inspiration.  I started the said piece at the time, writing the overture and various sequences and sections for it but never completing it, it being an huge task and one that was quite exciting but daunting and of course, life, other musical committments got in the way.  Oh how I wished I had finished it for him. I spoke about it and then played the extracts from it on the keyboard.

My Mum, then my sister and then a fellow bee-keeper came up and gave talks about him.  All three were touching, funny, and a real tribute to the amazing man he was.  My Mum, talking about him, showed how intelligent he was, all the classes he enrolled in after retirement, including, Russian, violin-making, Welsh, microbiology, yoga and many more (I, who always has regarded him as one of the most active people I know was shocked at the list), talked about his time as a Civil Servant at the Employment office (from 1949 until retirement) and an amazing anecdote about how he met Fred Astaire through his work and suggested to him that he use an English ballet company for An American in Paris rather than 'importing' dancers from abroad, since it would be much easier.  My sister's talk was of her memories of him and her first comment, that she never considered him to be an 'old person' struck me so much.  That was so true- he wasn't ever old- he was so active, enthusiastic, amazing.  Then the bee-keeper spoke. She had only known him for 9 years and it was him who got her into bee-keeping. She'd met him at a County show and her daughter had told him (he was representing his division of the Essex Beekeepers) she wanted to be a bee-keeper.  He introduced her to someone who was selling some equipment, got her a swarm to look after and then continued to support her, teaching her everything about bee-keeping. She'd phoned him most days to ask advice, he'd often phone her to tell her something and her grandaughter (who always wanted to speak to him on the phone) actually thought he was a giant bee! Possibly due to the first time she saw him being in his netted faced suit.  She really really seemed to care about him and it represented one of many conversations I had later.
At this point, this was when the curtains closed on his coffin and to accompany it, my sister and I played Rimsky-Korsakov's Flight of the Bumblebee.   I had managed to hold it together all the way through the service but as I stood there waiting to start, it was hard to keep it together but that I had to do for this very very hard piece for him- he was my staunchest supporter as a musician. He had come to more performances of mine than anyone else, he who was a supportive, delighted critic.  My sister, managed to play whilst her eyes and nose dripped all over the piano.

After waiting outside and being greeted by people who really really loved him, we headed to a pub near his house for some food and drinks. So many people spoke to me expressing their love for him.  A whole gaggle of lady beekeepers between around 35-60 talked to me and all had told me they were his proteges, they all phoned him regularly to ask him advice and how to do things.  Each one told me he was the kindest, most intelligent and most patient and helpful person they knew, always ready to offer advice, encourage, support and offer a great perspective.  It was a lovely time to see my family, including my cousins who I have not seen for so long, see these friends and know how much he was and still is loved. I loved hearing tales and only wish I had talked to him more of his amazing life, and learnt to be what he was myself.

Don't be sad that I have died
Be glad that I lived.


I haven't said all I want to about him, this is just a summary of the day only.  His life has so much to celebrate and talk about but I love the above: A fitting tribute to this giant bee as he makes his final flight.


18 comments:

  1. He sounds like such an amazing grandpa! This is a really lovely post, almost brought a tear to my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds as though your Grandad's funeral was a completely fitting memorial for a wonderful man. You should be very proud that you spoke and played, it can't be easy to do that. It's a real measure of someone, that they have touched a lot of lives, and it is clear that an awful lot of people really loved and valued him. Isn't that good to know? xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, it sounds like he was well loved and appreciated by his friends and family. Such a sweet post Kezzie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing man, you had me crying again. I'm so proud of you and all of your family for what sounds like a beautiful funeral.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a lovely ceremony. A wonderful send off to an obviously wonderful man. Many hugs for you, dear, and every warm thought!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I'm sorry about your grandfather. As has been stated, it sounds like he was a very passionate and kind man and seemed to be loved by so many people. Such adorable photos too, he looks so happy! Sending prayers to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a wonderful day for a wonderful man. By the way, is the collective noun for bee-keepers really a gaggle? I'd have thought it would be a buzz, or maybe a sting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can tell by his smile that your Grandad was a lovely man. So pleased to hear the funeral went well. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both this post and his service are such lovely tributes to him. He truly sounds like an amazing man!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, what a lovely post and I bet that the music you wrote was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad the day went well, and what a tribute to a lovely man, that so many turned up to celebrate a life well lived. Our thoughts and prayers go with you as you pick up 'normal' life again without him xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful tribute to him! I can relate on the music piece - I had to sing for my grandmother's funeral too and it was very hard, but I know she was smiling down on me and I'm sure your granddad was too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A beautiful post at such a difficult time for you. Sending lots of love your way xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. awww lovely post hope your ok x

    ReplyDelete
  15. A post bursting with love for someone who was so clearly loved and admired by family and friends alike.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a beautiful tribute to your granddad who sounds an amazing man.

    ReplyDelete
  17. He sounds so wonderful, and I have no doubt there are many future generations of bees who would not exist if it weren't for his enthusiasm, caring, and support for fellow enthusiasts. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. It truly is such an honor, a wonder really, to know such a person. You are fortunate to have him as a grandfather. Some people seem to spend themselves constantly, effortlessly, in giving inspiration and joy to others. And I think sometimes that people who keep bees and really love bees have a gentle quality about them. Sorry for your loss, but oh how wonderful to have had him in your life! Lovely tribute.

    ReplyDelete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)