Sunday, January 26, 2014

10,000 reasons to be thankful...

"...when I'm feeling bad: I simply remember my favourite things and then I don't feel so bad." Maria in the Sound of Music

"When you look for the bad in mankind expecting to find it, you surely will." Pollyanna's locket in Pollyanna- quoting Lincoln?

"Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." 1 Thessalonians 5:18

I really find January a hard time as I think 95% of all the population do- I always catch something and it's cold.  So, I want to think about and be thankful for all the things that ARE good about this January. I haven't done one of my '10 things to be thankful for' for a while so here it is:

1. For my husband- we drive each other mad at times- he gets annoyed at my mess/clutter/inability to chuck things out- I get annoyed at his constantly falling asleep but he's always so forgiving and good-natured (bar the mess) and he always wants to cheer me and be kind.
CBC being silly at Papermill lock

2.  For the relatively plan-free weekends we have had in January so we can have some rest, go and explore Essex - see new places and friends and for recovery time- it's horrid having a lingering cold over 2 weeks- I'm thankful for the rest AND I am thankful for the gentle walks we have had- getting fresh air and potentially a bit of vitamin D is also vital medicine: so far we have explored: Hadleigh country park, Maldon and this week, a little stroll to PaperMill Lock by the Chelmer.

IMG_0510

IMG_0508
3. Central heating: If you've read my blog for a while, you'll know I didn't have central heating in my old house and I spent a lot of time feeling cold!  Having it this year is wonderful!

4.  For the temporary music room I have at school- my ears have actually not had too much of a bashing so far this term- having space to hear and space to send children out in groups has made a HUGE difference to all of us!

5.  For the lovely time we had seeing my friend (who played flute at my wedding) yesterday.  We dropped in to her after a lovely lunch at Papermill Lock (where we saw other friends serendipitously!) and stayed for a couple of hours and had 2 soft house bunnies on our lap all afternoon!  Bunny-stroking therapy comes highly recommended!

6.  For all the lovely new people I have met at Christ Church, the church I have been attending.  I have been met with kindness, consideration and friendliness.  It is a warm and loving environment and I am grateful to God for this community. I am so grateful for the church communities I have encountered- true, loving people who love God- not the stereotypical Christians one sees in dramas on TV- but true, honest, simple people.

7.  For sermons that have captivated me and made me think- simple steps to initiate which are and will be a blessing.

8.  For my Mum. With the house selling, she's had to do a lot of moving.  I feel so bad that, not having a car, and being so busy with school and exhausted, that she's had to do a lot by herself. She's always been such a hard worker and I am grateful to have her as a model for how I want to be.

9.  For the lessons I've had that have been really successful this week- kids enjoyed, I enjoyed! On Thursday, I got the year 5's to write their own sea shanties after having taught them What shall we do with the drunken sailor? and Way haul away.  Song writing is an incredibly hard thing to teach, especially at Primary level and I really enjoyed their outcomes- I love seeing how those kids have developed.  I've taught them since they were in reception (4-5 years old) and now they are 9-10.  It's my privilege to see them grow!

10.  For the warm fuzzy feeling of checking my e-mail and blog and finding such kind, sympathetic comments, empathy, delight, childlike enthusiasm, fun and friendship.  For each and every one of you, your experience and your care and time, I thank you.

What are you thankful for?

Love this song! We sang it at church last Sunday and this Sunday.  We heard Matt Redmond sing this at the Big Church Day Out last year.

14 comments:

  1. Your husband falls asleep too? Ugh -- we can hardly watch a show in the evening without him snoring off :) -- even if he's holding the iPad we're watching it on! Silly man. However, my husband no longer balances on poles, I'm glad to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the sleeper in my marriage. The amount of programs and films I have only ever seen the start of x

    ReplyDelete
  3. For being able,to go dancing twice,this weekend! Rock and roll last night and Ceroc tonight! makes me feel soon happy.
    Always good,to remember all the,good things in life, most of us are very lucky to have what we have:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, Kezzie, I love this post so much; and I think that I might publish one of my own. For what am I thankful? I must really think hard and pick the best 10. You are so beautiful! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your husband is a snazzy dresser! What a cute photo!
    You have a thankful heart. I love that about you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just contemplating being thankful today so this is spot on timing. What a lovely list, each one quite adorable but none more than tiny people mixed with sea shanties. Bunnies, though, do take a quite close second. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always fall asleep when I sit down to watch somthing I actually want to see - I've even been known to sleep at the cinema.

    ReplyDelete
  8. how great to think of happy thoughts when it might be easier to not. you have so many things to be thankful for! i am thankful that i get to work from home today since my kids' school was cancelled!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my god how did you live without central heating??? Love that photo of your hubby..so funny x

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely idea, a thankful January. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lovely post. I'm not thankful for as many things as I should be, it's so easy to forget the good things and focus on all the things I'm not thankful and wish were different, but I do keep trying to remind myself to be thankful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A lovely post brimming with love and thankfulness for all the special people in your life.
    We are lucky to have them, even if they do snore!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  13. This post was a pleasure to read. I've been so stressed this month job hunting and feeling useless for being partially employed and it's really good to remember all the things that are wonderful in life... Sounds like you're busy but doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just catching up on my blog reading you were just around the corner from me when you visited paper mill lock you should have waved as you went passed xx

    ReplyDelete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)